Is it possible to upgrade a rooted FP2 without first unrooting it?

There is no upgrade path for the ones that we have the rooted phone? Just to know and then move to the OpenSource version for example. I have seen that they have published a rooted boot for the Android 6 version.

Regards,

You’ll have to unroot, upgrade and then you can root again with the boot image, but you’ll have to unroot again before every (monthly) update, not just for upgrades.

As soon as @retsifp’s autobuild has found the file, I upgrade my rooted phone like this: ✏ How to update a rooted FP2 with TWRP?

@danielsjohan I don’t think you’ll bypass the app-optimization-boot-loop that way. Our #updateguide’s probably have to be re-written for Android 6.

1 Like

Then, for the ones that need or want a rooted phone the Open version seems the logical path here. Then get google apps if needed through opengapps.org, and f-droid and yalp there too. Maybe is getting too complicated, I understand of course the reasons of locking root in the comercial version.

1 Like

To update a rooted phone, you have to use the full update and not the partial one which refuse to be installed on a modified system. Then, as usual, you have to root again.
The thing is, at time being, the file for the full update is not yet available.

2 Likes

So, I guess it’s time to move to Open OS at last :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s time to be:
:tada: Free at last, free at last! :tada:

5 Likes

Unroot failed for me, even flashing the original boot. Can’t have time to check this so when Android 6 is available in open I move. I think is the logical thing to do.

Thanks,

1 Like

I’ve done the update from 1.13 to 17.04.3 (when it was available to the public by mistake), rooted my phone, and now I can not update to the official 17.04.8 since no full update file is available so far.

The 17.04.3 version is working perfectly for me, and root my phone while using the GMS is a choice for me, but when I was able to do all the updates for months and even the big update to Android 6 , I’m currently stuck on a minor Android 6 update. Let’s hope the full update file will be available.

If someone has an idea, that’s could be great! Thanks.

I don’t think the full update file will help you. AFAIK you’ll have to unroot before every (minor) update as Android 6 doesn’t allow system modifications.

Thanks for your reply.
Well, I’ve tried to use again the original boot.img but the update failed anyway.

I do understand your reply, the thing is, at time being, I can not check if it’s applies to the Fairphone, since even on Android 5 the partial update did not work on the rooted system, we had to use to “full update file” to update the system.
With the last update from 17.04.3 to 17.04.8, this file is not available so I can not try the way I’ve done for months with FP 2 GMS verison 1.XX.YY.

I hope I’m clear… :blush:

Maybe a solution is to use TWRP to apply the minor update, maybe it will accept to update even on a rooted phone.

This might be exactly the reason why the full update file doesn’t exist. The problem with Android 6 and root is not just - as with Android 5 - that the incremental update doesn’t work, but that the app optimization process after the update will fail if the device is rooted/modified and therefore you’ll end up in a boot-loop.

I guess the only way it’s safe to release a full update file would be if that file automatically unmodifies the device first.

Well and sorry if the remark is silly, since I was able to to the update from Android 5 to Android 6 with a rooted phone without any problem whatsoever, the installation of android 6 does work from a rooted device as soon as the update is re-installing the full system (which was the case in the 17.04.3), I suppose I may do the same thing again from Android 6 to Android 6?

I know my case is quite specific but, I’ve done the update to 17.04.3 when it was public but no suppose to, otherwise I would have update from 1.13 to 17.04.8 and I guess, had no issue as I’ve had no issue from 1.13 (rooted and encrypted) to 17.04.3 (rooted and encrypted).
Thanks.

1 Like

Do you have any further information / sources about this? That does not seem plausible to me.

Fairphone will not release a full OTA for 17.04.8, but the binary images are available. Just flash them via fastboot. That’s what I did; worked like a charm. (No, you won’t loose any data.)

2 Likes

If I use the flash.bat, I will not lost my data?
Or/and which partitions do I need to flash with fastboot?

Correct. It won’t touch the data partition.

1 Like

My autobuild didn’t find anything, I hope FP devs won’t change their OTA-Server with every release in the future… :confused:

Anyway - available here.

I’m currently testing updating my phone with the img-files. Will report later if everything worked fine :wink:

Edit: Here is how I updated my rooted phone:

• (Optional) Perform a backup with TWRP
  • Download “binary image” from here
  • Unpack it somewhere to your HDD.
  • For Linux: Edit flash.sh: Remove this:

sha256sum --status -c SHA256SUMS ||
{ echo “Checksums do not match. Not flashing.” ; exit 1 ; }

• For Linux and Windows: Remove the last line (fastboot reboot)
  • Get fastboot running as described in Step 1 here
  • Go into bootloader (Press VOL- during start of your phone)
  • Run flash.sh/flash.bat
  • Do not reboot!
  • Flash rooted boot.img (get it e.g. from https://fp2.retsifp.de and use it only if it matches exactly the FPOS-Version you just installed!)
  • (Optional) Install XPosed Framework (Don’t forget that we have sdk23 now!)
  • Reboot
15 Likes

Thanks a lot.
It works perfectly!

One question: my encrypted phone does not ask anymore for my code before to start; it that normal?

Try setting a new screen lock password (you can use your existing one of course). If your phone is encrypted, you should be prompted whether to “Require password to start device”.

1 Like