Android 6.0 is now available (Fairphone OS 17.04.8)

All works fine here, upgrade went smooth and tested Android Auto; it works better and more stable than with Android 5. I like Android 6 with the detailed possibilities to select the rights for apps. The phone feels somewhat snappier and indeed battery consumption seems to be improved. Good job!

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded twice and keep getting the same error message on re-start. Screen is stuck on the android robot with error message: Android system recovery (3e) r4275. 1_FP2_gms65_1.7.0 gives me the options to: reboot system now, apply updated from ADB, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, reboot to bootloader, power down, view recovery logs, apply update from SD card. What do I do?

I did the upgrade yesterday (from Patagonia!!!) with version 17.04.8 from Android 5.1: everything worked fine as described in the procedure.
I feel FP2 faster and more stable, however it needs some week of running to judge it.
No issues with battery, power consumption as usual.

Regards

2 Likes

My proximity sensor also doesn’t work even after recalibrating. It still worked in 17.04.3.

[If I only missed the right post feel free to point me to]

In reference to this wiki-post about updating with TWRP at a rooted phone I asked myself and could not find an answer until now:

Do we know already if and how the wiki post about the TWRP-Update-Procedure needs to be changed in order to update from Android 5.1 (1.13.0 or even <1.13.0) to FPOS to Android 6 / FPOS 17.04.8 via TWRP on a rooted phone?

Please note: Manually updating to Android 6.0 with the update file below can only be done on a Fairphone 2 device running Fairphone OS 1.13.0 (our latest version for Android 5.1). [LINK]

Maybe author of the wiki @danielsjohan can help out?

As far as I understand, the upgrading procedure is described here.
I couldn’t test it yet, but I will probably just switch to FP Open to avoid these issues in the future :slight_smile:

These “folders” should still exists as the update should preserve all your user files and folders, but:
Features that will be gone in Android 6 / FPOS 17.04.8:

• Amaze File Manager app. A file management structure is now built into Android. In Settings → Storage & USB → Explore. You can still download the Amaze app, or any other file manager from the Google Play Store [or F-Droid] if you need it

Edit: Here the topic is also covered.

2 Likes

But they try to use the binaries-file - and not the zip-file which the OTA-updater app also uses, am I wrong? It was not like that before…

Can you just summarize what in terms of updates is easier with switching to FPOpenOS (as I also think about) while preserving the root functionality?

It I understand correctly (but probably others can explain this better), you will have to unroot and root again for every update in Android 6. It seems too much effort for me :slight_smile:
However, in FP Open, I would have to install OpenGAPPS again every time… So the question is if this is really less effort.

1 Like

More exactly you only have to root it again after each update, and it’s a bit more complicated than with Android 5.0. (bit works perfectly for me).
But it was already the same with Android 5.0, we had to root the system again after each update.
So: with FP OS with GMS, root after each update; with FP Open, install OpenGAPPS after each update. At least, the FP OS is updated before the other one.

1 Like

Great to see a new Android version coming along, a big achievement showing the value of a project taking ownership of their codebase.
I assume that I’m forced to upgrade to Android 6 in order to get future security releases, and that there will not be a separate Android 5 branch which will be getting the latest security fixes?
I got exited when the blogpost mentioned an increased level of code ownership:

…including securing the licenses to the complete code…

We now have much better control over the entire software base…

I assumed that the number of binaries would be reduced in this release, yet I see now progress on that front. What actually improved on the codebase ownership, the blog is hinting at?

I don’t find where I’ve read that, but yes, the Android 5 branch will not get any additional security update.

Alright, I’ll start updating then :smiley:

That’s true. But what will be the difference for updating to/with 6.0 (I mean 5.1->6.0(17.04.8) and 17.04.8->17.04.8+) while using TWRP ?
Or more precisely: what does change with this wiki between Android 5.1 and 6.0 after each FP-OS update?

I’ve never used TWRP to update my FP or whatsoever with it, so I can not answer to your question.
I’ve always only used fastboot and/or the update app.

Well, the link below explains that, I was on 17.04.3 (published during few minutes by mistake last week) and I’ve updated to 17.04.8, the update was a bit more complicated that before, but when everything is clear (and thanks again to @retsifp) , it’s easy and my FP2 works perfectly with Android 6.0 FP 17.04.8.
I’ve done all the updates from day one (February 2016), never lost any data, and always rooted my phone each and every time.

Super Arbeit. Android 6 läuft wunderbar. Fairphone ist deutlich schneller und der Akku hält auch länger!

3 Likes

The Updater tells me FP is updated, but it still has Android 5 (Fairphone OS 1.13.0). Is it normal? I’m really looking forward to get it…!

Have you updated the app with the Playstore?

3 Likes

That was it lol.

Thanks Peter974

2 Likes

My early-by-a-surfeit-of-enthusiasm Marshmallow FP2 also shows as uncertified.

Not a thing I’ve ever done, so I explored and tried this method.

1. Settings → Apps → Google Play Store → Force Stop → OK
  2. Launch Play Store → Settings → Scroll down
    And it still shows uncertified, so I guess that’s not how I “simply delete the Play Store app data.”

Posting in case anyone else is equally bemused, and in hope of a more experienced user telling us the simple way to delete Play Store app data! :wink:

Edit: solved