Android 6.0 is now available (Fairphone OS 17.04.8)

More exactly you only have to root it again after each update, and it’s a bit more complicated than with Android 5.0. (bit works perfectly for me).
But it was already the same with Android 5.0, we had to root the system again after each update.
So: with FP OS with GMS, root after each update; with FP Open, install OpenGAPPS after each update. At least, the FP OS is updated before the other one.

1 Like

Great to see a new Android version coming along, a big achievement showing the value of a project taking ownership of their codebase.
I assume that I’m forced to upgrade to Android 6 in order to get future security releases, and that there will not be a separate Android 5 branch which will be getting the latest security fixes?
I got exited when the blogpost mentioned an increased level of code ownership:

…including securing the licenses to the complete code…

We now have much better control over the entire software base…

I assumed that the number of binaries would be reduced in this release, yet I see now progress on that front. What actually improved on the codebase ownership, the blog is hinting at?

I don’t find where I’ve read that, but yes, the Android 5 branch will not get any additional security update.

Alright, I’ll start updating then :smiley:

That’s true. But what will be the difference for updating to/with 6.0 (I mean 5.1->6.0(17.04.8) and 17.04.8->17.04.8+) while using TWRP ?
Or more precisely: what does change with this wiki between Android 5.1 and 6.0 after each FP-OS update?

I’ve never used TWRP to update my FP or whatsoever with it, so I can not answer to your question.
I’ve always only used fastboot and/or the update app.

Well, the link below explains that, I was on 17.04.3 (published during few minutes by mistake last week) and I’ve updated to 17.04.8, the update was a bit more complicated that before, but when everything is clear (and thanks again to @retsifp) , it’s easy and my FP2 works perfectly with Android 6.0 FP 17.04.8.
I’ve done all the updates from day one (February 2016), never lost any data, and always rooted my phone each and every time.

Super Arbeit. Android 6 läuft wunderbar. Fairphone ist deutlich schneller und der Akku hält auch länger!

3 Likes

The Updater tells me FP is updated, but it still has Android 5 (Fairphone OS 1.13.0). Is it normal? I’m really looking forward to get it…!

Have you updated the app with the Playstore?

3 Likes

That was it lol.

Thanks Peter974

2 Likes

My early-by-a-surfeit-of-enthusiasm Marshmallow FP2 also shows as uncertified.

Not a thing I’ve ever done, so I explored and tried this method.

1. Settings → Apps → Google Play Store → Force Stop → OK
  2. Launch Play Store → Settings → Scroll down
    And it still shows uncertified, so I guess that’s not how I “simply delete the Play Store app data.”

Posting in case anyone else is equally bemused, and in hope of a more experienced user telling us the simple way to delete Play Store app data! :wink:

Edit: solved

Just below the the ‘disable’ and ‘force stop’ buttons, there’s an item called ‘storage’. If you tap that, you should get the options relating to wiping data (clear data should also wipe cache).

1 Like

Thank you! A tappable storage option wasn’t showing (I looked for it), but I got there by this route:

1. Settings -> Storage & USB -> Internal storage -> Apps -> Sort by name -> Google Play Store -> Clear Data
  2. Launch Play Store -> Settings -> Scroll down

Success! :+1:

2 Likes

After update to 6.0, my battery is draining very fast again. Battery lasts for 5 hours or so, when I dont’ t use the phone. Phone tells me that the Wifi-connection uses much of battery - even when the connection is disabled - HAHAHA! after years of troubleshooting, replacing a few times, I finally had a phone that worked more or less. Now back to starting point! making a failphone even worse - that was not easy, i think! probably just one update more to crash it completely…

I updated smoothly to Android 6. However, I discovered a little bug: The message that we can display on the locked home window is very limited in size. Thus, my address is not fully displayed :frowning: Is there a place to report bugs efficiently ?!?

Great to finally get the update, fantastic work! Two main issues in my case so far:

• The flicker-on-scroll problem after reboot still occurs. (So hardware / driver problem?) Luckily the flickering still disappears after a short time.

• The automatic time & date setting doesn’t work as expected. Well, the automatic update pulls down the right date/time which can be seen on the setting page. However, it seems it doesn’t update the phone properly. It was off by about 20 minutes. I had to turn off automatic updates, set the time manually once, and now turned it back on. But now I don’t really trust it to keep updating automatically… Will do more tests when I have time (!) for it.

Kim

This has been reported here.

Thanks a million, I have voted now :wink:

Same problem! Also tried to clean and recalibrate it several times but it didnt solve it! Must be a software thing!

After a few days of use I noticed that the battery life is back to the level when I bought the device (that is, about a day and a half). The AccuBattery app suspects the quality of my battery is roughly 80-90% ( :frowning: ), which implies that Android 5.1 got more and more power hungry over time. Of course I don’t know whether that was due to the apps I chose to run in the background or more fundamental problems with the 5.1 FPOS, but either way happy that my battery lasts better now.

One thing I did notice is that the Android 6 build still ships with kernel 3.4. Although important security fixes appear to be backported, this implies that all the upstream improvements made in the past 5 years by the Linaro team have not made it to my phone. Although I’m not holding my breath that the kernel used for FPOS can be rebased to upstream as driver porting would become a nightmare, I wonder if there’s plans in the pipeline to rebase to one of the 3.10, 3.18 or 4.4 msm kernels available for Android?