- This wiki is just a list by FP4-users.
- It is there to share experience with MicroSD cards.
- It is nothing official by Fairphone.
- Fairphone does not sell any of these cards.
- This topic is closed to avoid replies, so that the topic can be bumped on the top of the recent topic when edited. Please open a new topic in case of questions or to start a discussion.
Which MicroSD cards do work and which do not? Fairphone does not have the capacity to test MicroSD cards and is not in a position to endorse the use of brands or types of cards. So I hope that the community can help to make a nice list of good MicroSD cards.
Fairphone sais that the capacity of MicroSD cards should not exceed 400 GB. If some users are successfully using MicroSD cards of 512 GB or even 1 TB, the experience can be posted in this wiki as well.
Attention!!! → Format SD-cards as external storage
You can format/use SD cards as internal storage (extension of the phone storage) or as external storage.
You will find some explanation on the support page; including pros and cons; and in this forum wiki: “Guide to using SD-cards”
Still, I would strongly advise, to use it as external storage only. If it’s internal storage and breaks, the phone will become unusable. You can’t just change the card for a larger one, should you need more storage or should you wish to play different music, stored on another card. And - finally and most important - the internal storage often leads to trouble on the FP4.
Be aware, though, that also external storage has been reported to cause trouble, see here: SD card problems although formatted as portable storage
This is a wiki, so please edit it with the green pencil above to add your SD card and FP4 experiences. It would be best to keep an alphabetical order; so feel free to add your entry in the middle of an existing list.
Here is the offical Fairphone support page for installing a Micro SD card.
It is advised to re-format your SD card directly from your phone.
You find the how-to on the support page.
Example for an Entry:
- XYC CARD x-tra 64Gb (speed warning when used as internal memory, measured read speed 40-50MB/s as external memory)
- Samsung MicroSD Card SDXC EVO Plus 128 GB/512GB worked out of the box as external storage.
- Samsung EVO Plus 256GB U3 A2 V30 worked out of the box as external storage
- SANDISK Ultra, Micro-SDXC UHS-I 128GB formatted as external storage, used to store all my MP3s, bought Dec. 2017 and previously used in FP2 and FP3
- Kingston Canvas Go! Plus 64 GB microSDXC formatted as external storage, used to store music, podcasts, downloads
- Lexar 633x 64GB formatted as portable storage; populated with data from my previous Moto G5, used to store music, fotos.
- Kingston Canvas Select Plus microSDcard 512GB formatted as external storage, used for internal backups, offline sync for YT Music, Nextcloud, Google Maps, Google Movies, but I also store MP3s and movies/series on it. I had to format it to exFAT (with GPT partition table) on a computer first before I could format it on my #fp4.
- Kingston Canvas Select Plus microSDXC 256GB, UHS-I U3, A1; formatted as portable storage; no problems with use out of the box
- SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC (LIneage 18.1 built by Aaanze, card is working fine as external storage without any problems)
- Transcend 256GB microSDXC 300S formatted as external storage. Has to be formatted using a PC, the FP4 will delete the partition table when trying to format it.
- Transcend 32GB Premium 400x microSDHC formatted as external storage. Has to be formatted using a PC, the FP4 will format it as FAT32 with terrible consequences ().
- SanDisk 1TB Extreme SDXC Class 10, U3, V30, 4K, A2
Even after initializing the card in an FP4 as external memory, memory card functions erratically. FP4 frequently prompts it as a new card and prompts to re-initializes it. Can read folders at the root but not the contents. Can access some files in the root directory.
- SanDisk Extreme 512GB XC1 U3 A2
- SanDisk microSDXC Extreme 128GB (Class 10, U3, V30, A2) formatted as external storage and exFAT, random malfunctions and FP4 asking to reformat after a while (I transfer a lot of large *.FLAC files for my music)
- SanDisk Ultra XC1 Class 10 512 GB - same isues as SanDisk Extreme above
- SabDisk 1TB Ultra PLUS microSDCX UHS-I, Clas 10, V10, A1 - The PF4 removes the card automatically, but if it is accepted, an error message appears when it is written and the process is aborted