The most noticeable to do's on the Fairphone (3-5)

Hi, I’m Alex and I’m new here, although I’ve had and used Fairphones for a long time:
Fairphone 3
→ my backup, bad usability and jerks even during normal operation.
→ The WLAN is grottig, in my 2.4GHz IOT WLAN ok, with 5GHz WLAN a catastrophe
→ Why is the “Do not use 2G GSM” switch missing? the 2G mobile network is unsafe (and unfortunately still active in DE)

Fairphone 4 (I use it as a company phone)
→ Every now and then small jerks, not great but usable
→ When making a call, the display sometimes doesn’t switch off, which means that you end the call with your cheek.
→ The SD card feature is quite nice, but it only works sub optimally: a Sandisk Ultra 256GB card works for a week and is then no longer recognized. In / Out / Reboot etc. have not helped. If the card is formatted on the PC and then set up again in the Fairphone, it works again. The SD card now runs smoothly in a Rapberry PI 4.
→ The display brightness control is terrible! Whatever Google does with the Pixel models (I have a 6 here as a comparison), Fairphone should do the same.
→ Vicious vibration when you touch the fingerprint scanner while carrying the phone. Yes, it’s not the scanned finger! can’t the Fairphone simply switch off the motor after the 1st attempt?
→ The stock software collects useless icons in the status bar: NFC / WLAN CALL / indicators for data transmission → It takes up space and brings no added value! NFC in particular is extremely annoying!
→ Why is the “Do not use 2G GSM” switch missing? the 2G mobile network is unsafe (and unfortunately still active in DE)

Fairphone 5 (current private phone)
→ The stock software collects useless icons in the status bar: NFC / WLAN CALL / indicators for data transmission → It takes up space and brings no added value! NFC in particular is extremely annoying!
→ Microruckler, from time to time the phone seems to jerk when operating or scrolling? comes from time to time and also goes within 5 - 10 min? Occurs about 1 - 2 times a day?
→ similar problems with the SD card function as with the Fairphone 4, this time a new 128GB (also Sandisk Ultra)
→ Useless push messages when connecting headphones that can e.g. Aptx. Yes, I know they can do that, that’s why I bought them and don’t need the info as a push message every time I connect them!
→ The display brightness control is terrible! Whatever Google does with the Pixel models (I have a 6 here as a comparison), Fairphone should do the same.

Does anyone know the problems or am I alone with this? Can I optimize something? It would be nice if Fairphone could make things like the icons in the status bar adjustable in the Fairphone app. A more intelligent brightness control would also be a great advantage.
But such security-relevant points as deactivating the old GSM network simply have to be included!

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the community

A few links

In general: please dont mix devices (and issues) in the help category and participate in existing topics instead of duplicating.

To force e.g. LTE you can call *#*#4736#*#* on all devices

4 Likes

If you don’t use NFC, turn it off and the icon will be gone. The icon for Wi-Fi calling is especially important if you are abroad as with Wi-Fi calling your domestic rates apply in contrast to the roaming rates. So this icon is really not useless unless you don’t plan to use WiFi calling at all, but then you could turn that off, too.

2 Likes

I use NFC to pay. That means NFC is on, I know it’s on and it’s also displayed again.
For comparison: the NFC symbol is never displayed on Google Pixel devices.

The WLAN call display is stupidly solved: the provider and the symbol are displayed. Here, too, the comparison with the Pixel: here the provider is changed to WLAN and no extra symbol appears.

As I said, both are optical or aesthetic points.

Your links are certainly kindly meant, but they only confirm the problems and don’t solve any of them.
I already know about the tool and the ADB tweak to remove it. But nobody knows whether such an intervention has other disadvantages.

My goal is rather that Fairphone developers get going and at least fix these little things.
We’re not talking about rocket science, but about some ancient functions that my old Samsung S2 or Nexus 5 managed better.
In particular, the fact that you can’t deactivate 2G GSM bothers me a lot! the function has been around since Android 12!

https://source.android.com/docs/security/features/cellular-security/disable-2g

Then placing all this here will not all help you as its a user forum and no support channel nor contact to the developers.

3 Likes

From what I see, Fairphone focuses on fixing the issues that really limit the usability of the devices first instead of little annoyances. Although I have a few smaller things with my phone, too, I definitely support the approach to solve the issues in the order of severity. So for insurance brightness control is more important than NFC icons because the latter can only be seen if you can recognize anything on the screen at all.

2 Likes

Hi,
the brightness control on FP4 is realy the worst I have been seen on all phones. At 100% darkness the auto-control adjust the brightness to low. Every time I have have to adjust it a little bit more brighter.
At daylight the auto-control is to dark. Actualy I turned off the auto-control, because I have to adjust it every time manual.
Cheers

1 Like

Had similar issues with the fp4 and then it all went away when I installed lineage 20 (haven’t tried 21) I am a heavy user btw. (Root with call recording. Root call blocking by mdn on XDA to name a small bit of programs running in the background.

Perhaps installing lineage can solve the problem(s). But I think it should also work with fpos. Installing a different os feels like a workaround :slight_smile: