English

SD card problems although formatted as portable storage

Hi everyone!

My FP4 has just arrived :partying_face:

Although I don’t use a Google account, I managed to (manually) migrate most of the apps and data from my old Samsung Galaxy A3 without any major issue. The problems started though when I inserted a fresh 128 GB SD card (SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I A2) and formatted it as portable storage. As I read in the forum, this is the preferred option as it’s supposed to work better than formatting it as internal storage.

Yet, while the SD card seemed to work at first, OsmAnd~, for instance, gave me I/O errors when trying to save offline maps on the SD card. Similarly, accessing Android’s basic folder structure from the computer didn’t work. I tried to format it again now receiving the error that the card is not supported (anymore) and needs reformatting. I tried it once more without success. Android still claims that the SD card is not supported whatsoever. I thus got it out of the phone and tried reformatting it to exFAT both on my Linux machine and on Windows 10 (via diskpart). Again, the SD card seemed to work at first but in fact didn’t when trying to copy files. Interestingly, it works flawlessly when using it on Windows/Linux only.

I also tried another SD card, my old SanDisk Ultra (XC I, Class 10). The problem is exactly the same. So it shouldn’t be the SD card.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Any tips? I’ll contact the support sometime soon anyway but just wanted to hear your opinion first. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi and nice to see you got your new phone :package:

Could you try formatting the card in the galaxy A3, or another phone first? There is a known issue that’s preventing the formatting of larger SD cards to work properly as portable storage. It should however work if it’s formatted first on another phone.

Let us know how you get on.

5 Likes

I don’t have an FP4 but formatting as portable is the favoured option for many.

• The data on it is not encrypted to the phone so you should be able to access your files on ‘any’ pc/phone

So you initial formatted it via Android 11 on the phone as portable and then later it fails to recognise it ??

That makes sense as it is encrypted you can only access the portable SD not Android.

Great! Thank you! So, ideally I shouldn’t get prompted for another round of formatting on my FP and use it right away? I’ll try that as soon as I get hold of another phone :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah. You’ll be asked when you insert it if you want to use it as portable or internal. But it shouldn’t then ask you to format

2 Likes

Have you tried formatting on your PC that’s what I do?

All my SD cards are formatted on a PC and they all work in the FP3

I did … both on Windows and on Linux. But the FP4 always asks for reformatting.

1 Like

@Chris_R We need your expertise more often here, I never heard of that known issue before :blush:

2 Likes

Let’s see if that worked first before suggesting I’m an expert :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s because I’ve had this issue and have reported. I know the dev team are aware of it, and it’s not an isolated situation.

4 Likes

It worked! The FP4 seems to destroy the file system in a way that even the Galaxy A3 couldn’t handle it at first. I formatted the card again on Linux, inserted it into the A3, did the initial setup there, and then put it back into my FP4 where I skipped the initial setup of the card. No error for now … hope it lasts.

@Chris_R, do you have any more info on how large a “larger SD card” needs to be for the FP not to get formatted properly?

2 Likes

Great. Glad it worked.

I don’t have a definitive answer as I was only able to test it on an 8gb and 128gb card. The 8gb had no issues. I didn’t want to try my 64gb card as that’s full of stuff I didn’t want to trash :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My 64 GB card also had issues. I guess, with 128 GB or more internal storage, hardly anybody will add substantially less than that. So its definitely something to keep in mind as more and more people are starting to use the new FP. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m a ‘hardly anybody’ with my 4, 8, 16 and 32 GB cards, :slight_smile: They are old like me, from the last century.

1 Like