Software update: FP4.SP21.B.048.20230215

Hi everyone,

A new software update based on Android 12 is now available to Fairphone 4 users.

Software Version: FP4.SP21.B.048.20230215
Security Patch Level: 5th of February, 2023
Update size: 374.79 MB

List of changes:

Experience-related improvements
The automatic minimum brightness has been reduced, following the feedback received from our users.

Other improvements

• A bug that was causing the Bluetooth audio to stop working when the aptX HD codec was selected, has been fixed.
  • Third-party apps are now also able to access and use the wide-angle sensor of the camera module.

Got feedback or a question? Post it below.
Thank you and have a great weekend!

30 Likes

And the update is already available on my device :slight_smile:

5 Likes

So I just got offered this update on Android 11, does this mean Android 12 is now available and fully functional on all networks?

I am in switzerland on a Swisscom based network, which is why I wasn’t offered the inital Android 12 upgrade.

3 Likes

My feedback so far with a Fairphone 4 with 6 GB RAM and 128 GB internal memory and an MicroSD card for additional external storage:

Update went smoothly, everything works so far. :tada:

Open Camera is able to use both back cameras by switching between them with the original Camera API as well as with Camera2 API. However with Camera2 API are 3 cameras reported: Camera ID 0, 2 and 3 where 0 and 3 are the same camera and 2 is the wide angle one. With the orignal Camera API only ID 0 and 2 are reported.

I can not test aptX right now, maybe I’ll post an about this later when I have access to a headset with aptX available.

Edit: aptX still does not work (Pioneer SE-MS7BT).

7 Likes

Link to the ota.zip for those who want / need it, have fun :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

too late :wink: I just extracted the boot.img via recovery and dd instead. Again my OTA update failed with boot loop after sticking to the a7b procedure for Magisk and OTA. See FP4 Root Access is possible, maybe a bit risky - #316 by Lars_Hennig

Just tried it with GCAM, and also here the wide angle camera works. I’m quite happy with that! :grin: THX Fairphone!

8 Likes

Nice, FP happy for the update. It works successfully here in Manila. Though I dont receive push notifications for the update

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bluetooth audio bug on Android 12

Yes, I’m a Swisscom user, too. And got that update today. It’s Android 12.
[edit] So far: I dislike the huge ugly clock, the pill-styled huge buttons in the quick access and the position of the Google bar (which I’d love to move to another screen, bc I literally never use it) but I guess I’m gonna get used to it.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also installed it now and so far it seems stable. Huge performance gain on app switching!
Since, I had Android 12 on the device before my FP4, I’m already used to it and it feels good to be back again.
Just give it some time and you’ll grow to like it aswell.

1 Like

Finally, this was the update I have been waiting for. I’m installing it right now. Now I can finally ditch the (sorry, Fairphone) crappy stock camera app and switch to GCam and also use AptX and have a more dimmed phone. A big thank you to the Fairphone devs for listening to user feedback!

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bluetooth audio bug on Android 12

I’ve been ignoring the Android 12 update so far to avoid the problems with the glance widget and the clock as well documented in “Android 12 has come to the FP4”, and because I tend to avoid being an early adopter anyway because of the inevitable teething problems, but it sounds like neither of those specific issues have been addressed in this update, right?

2 Likes

Yeah, the At a Glance widget is still messed up. Hope they’ll manage to fix it in the next update.

1 Like

Got the update, finally android 12 for Orange Belgium , but for whatever reason no LTE anymore, I’m always on 3G. Anyone the same?

Edit: nevermind, seems to have fixed itself after a day or so

1 Like

So you are one of the lucky ones, who os using AptX HD.

Those using Aptx,Aptx Adaptive its not fixed, see here and follow-up in this thread.

4 Likes

When I installed the update, I was happy because of the BT fix. And was hoping that other problems would be fixed. I know how to describe my disappointment with this update. The quality is so inferior and bad that I have the impression that the model maintenance is being done by a person who is also not able to test what has been fixed at all. Dear employees of the Fairphone Group. Your smartphone is a premium device with mid-range hardware! So please invest more energy in the software than in your marketing. Advertisements are already running on TV. Congratulations if you manage to sell more devices, if you don’t want to push your customers towards an iPhone or Samsung, then work on your software. This is not an acceptable condition.

2 Likes

Can you be more specific? I haven’t found anything this update would fck up.

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Update applied.