Known reproducible and reported issues of the Fairphone 4 - Wikimetadiscussion

This is the wikimetadiscussion of the following topic: ✏ Known reproducible and reported issues of the Fairphone 4

Hi @UPPERCASE ,
thank you for this list of issues. I’d suggest to integrate the list @Razem already provided here:

For me not every issue is important, some I even can’t reproduce or have been fixed in my case (e.g. location error of stock camera app).

4 Likes

Yes! That’s what inspired me. It will be a work in progress and I promoted the topic to #wiki, so everyone can contribute their changes.

1 Like

Ah sorry, now I see. Thank you!

2 Likes

How should we handle cases where information is scattered across different topics? :thinking:

For example GPS fix takes very long after january update. There have been similar reports before, like GPS/location does not work (Android) in December, that might provide useful context.

Should I just put it in the same table row and separate the links with a <br>? That might get hard to read when there are a lot of similar reports…
We could use something like “(Similar reports [1], [2], [3])” if there are more than one or two.
Or should there be a separate row for every topic, even if they deal with essentially the same issue?

Actually, this is something that mods can fix. They can merge topics. That way we can keep a single topic linked here, which is the easiest to keep information in one place :slight_smile:
Can a mod have a look at those 2 threads and merge if they agree to that? Thanks!

Maybe that’s an option for new topics (where a related topic can now be quickly found thanks to your list :smirk:) or in this specific case, but not for the whole backlog.

Let’s have a look at Call quality and noise cancellation, these are similar topics I found, just skimming the list of topics, that could be related:

Similarly for Microphone quality of the FP4 when using Signal (low volume), these could be related as well:

Arguably Call quality and noise cancellation and Microphone quality of the FP4 when using Signal (low volume) might even be related as well…

I don’t think it’s feasible to merge all those topics. It’s maybe justifiable for some of them, but others seem to only share the general underlying problem with different symptoms.
Without knowing the exact cause of those issues, attribution quickly becomes hard.

I have no idea how to solve this easily, I mostly wanted to start a discussion before I add things to the list that aren’t welcome there :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think we should merge as much as possible indeed. In any case I don’t want to see a list of duplicate issues in the overview, it will clutter the overview in that case. The low volume of voice messages in Signal and the noise cancellation issues might be related. But that would be guess I think. For sure something is wrong with the configuration of the microphones. So in order to not mix up the experiences people have with what we think might be the root cause, it may be best to not merge those.

But it’s up to the mods of course :nerd_face:

1 Like

Agreed :+1:

Then I propose using something like “(related [1], [2], [3])” either at the end of the link or on a new line for those topics that can’t (or won’t) be merged. (Sadly the footnote plugin isn’t available here, that could be used too)

I consider this list a “source of truth” for helping others in the future and the information in some of those related topics might really be valuable when narrowing down new reported problems.
Let me know if this goes beyond the scope you had in mind.

1 Like

You will always have duplication of information in different topics, although there is already a lot merging done. There is no way to keep everything clean, as e.g. topics start with an explanation that often due to less technical skilled people, translation etc pp seems to be a complete different story and later on you notice its the same as something already discussed. Overall the pessimist in me, feels the list will become confusing and messed up over time, even if someone moderates it quite well.

4 Likes

I would only put one topic in the overview spotlight to guide the community to focus their attention there. Otherwise the info and updates about the issue might become fragmented. It would be great if mods merge as much as possible so even without that footnote list we can have a single thread per issue. But I opened it up to the community as a wiki to contribute, so feel free to add those related issues. :nerd_face:

I personally see the use of the overview go in decline when we start to cluster multiple of the same issues into an overview.

@yvmuell it’s indeed quite a task to keep things organized. But Discourse can make it easy, there are bigger and more active communities. Merge when needed or improve topic titles when needed. Also indeed for the overview, short descriptive titles would be best. But we’ll see how it goes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right, keeping the overview clean makes more sense :+1:
I’ll keep the related topics in my head for now, most of them will close themselves over time anyway :smirk:

I agree, every list that requires people manually editing something is always at risk of becoming out of sync very fast, especially if the primary maintainer is absent for some time.
Keeping the scope as narrow as possible and only listing “high level problems” hopefully mitigates that problem a little.

Looking for a “source of truth” was probably wishful thinking on my part. It’s becoming increasingly hard for me to keep track of all the open(ed) issues and I’ve only been here for 3 months (can’t imagine what it’s like for people who have been here for several years)…
Searching is an option, but new users won’t magically start using it (a lot of them still do) and I honestly can’t even blame them, I struggle to find my own posts sometimes.

Something like a tag based Issue Tracker like @UPPERCASE suggested before could be a way that would at least reduce the effort required to maintain such a list.
Maybe the announced new forum theme will bring changes to the tagging system and makes this a possibility, here’s hoping :crossed_fingers::smiley:

1 Like

Hello !
No 5G, no WifiCalling and no VoLTE for Sunrise UPC provider (Switzerland)

I think we should see that as a provider issue, not really a Fairphone issue. What do you think? Of course Fairphone will need to work with the provider to make things work properly. But it’s mostly in the hands of the provider from my point of view.

2 Likes

UPC does not (yet) support VoLTE or WiFi Calling on FP4
And UPC doesn’t support 5G yet:

5G ist in deinem Abo jedoch nicht enthalten. Um 5G zu nutzen, solltest du zu einem Sunrise Mobilabo wechseln. Kontaktiere hierzu den Kundendienst unter 0800 007 045.

1 Like

@HolosericaCaligo
What do you know about my abo ?
I have a full European abo with illimited voice + datas WITH 5G
And now, the provider name is Sunrise UPC (and all was ok with my Xiaomi)

I am not so sure : who can tell if the problem is a firmware problem into the FP4 or an incompatibility to the provider (or both) ?

1 Like

I agree that it’s fundamentally a provider issue, but as others have said before you can’t expect ordinary users to know that they have to disable VoLTE to get the cell service working for example.
That makes it a Fairphone issue as well in my opinion.

Because of that, I added Phone can't connect to mobile network after booting to the list earlier.
But I’m willing to change my mind on this :smirk:

If we are only talking about some services not available from a specific provider here, I don’t think that should be tracked as a Fairphone issue…

2 Likes

I would def call this an issue for the FP4 and we already have several threads for this. So far it affects O2 Germany only, but many people use it and it makes the FP4 unusable. With the FP3 its no issues, so def FP4 related.

What I actually would not put on the issue “tracker” are feature requests, like the missing LED or at least call it feature request

Edit: overall I’m more and more hesitant to believe that a forum wiki is a good platform to build a bug tracker.

Edit2: some explanation why I’m so pessimitic.

• looking at a “real” bug tracker of the FP2 which is only for FP(O)OS not LOS, e/OS etc pp and seperated per Android Version, there are for Android 9 more than 150 issues And for the new Android 10 already 39. Thinking of such a number in a wiki…
    Maybe think of moving solved issues to a “hide details” category. However…
  • how well does the search function work within the wiki? Without proper search function it will be difficult shortly
2 Likes

Yeah, it should handle this better. My Pixel 3 doesn’t have VoLTE support, I don’t even have the option in my phone settings. It’s able to detect that my provider doesn’t support it for my phone, and therefore the option is not available. So yeah, Fairphone should probably do the same. There are too many threads solved by disabling VoLTE.

1 Like