Fairphone 2 3D printed casings available

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/funkyotherhalf

This is the third iteration print. Second one fitted like a glove, but I had not added the buttons for the volume, power and camera yet. These are in this model and should work like a charm, but waiting on my own order to confirm this.

Feel very free to mix and match with colours, you can order both parts also separately. It replaces the default casing entirely.

Also, if you have a cool idea for some design I should make, post below!

Happy new year’s eve and see you guys and gals in 2016!

14 Likes

Just received next batch of casings, will test this evening and report back!

8 Likes

They seem cool. If you could come up with a bright red and a bright orange one I might buy you a couple. Can you publish a set of pictures of the actual finished product?

It will be available through Shapeways in the colours white, yellow, orange, red, purple, pink, blue, green, black and alumide.

2 Likes

So, can we order now? No new problems discovered?

Problems no, areas where improvement is possible yes.

Adjusted location and/or size of:

• bottom mic (0.05mm)
  • usb (0.2mm on one edge)
  • top mic (0.05mm)
  • mic jack (0.15mm)
  • fixing pin camera side (0.1mm)

Moved location of split between the two parts, top part was a bit loosy-goosy and bottom was too tight, should be good now.

Made wide cutout for back speaker foamie to not get messed up.

And various other small changes :wink:

Feel free to test! Although I am confident it is good now, I cannot guarantee anything.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/funkyotherhalf

1 Like

…[quote=“dvl, post:6, topic:11614”]
Feel free to test! Although I am confident it is good now, I cannot guarantee anything.
[/quote]

If you cannot guarantee anything, you are not so confident then :wink: If a product is for sale, quality should be guaranteed, especially at £24. If I were you I’d do more testing before promoting it for sale. Just my opinion though…

1 Like

Please, how does it compare to the original case ?
Is it thinner/lighter ? different material ?
Or just a different choice of colors ?

And I was also wondering, do you think it might be possible to make metal or wooden cases ? (sorry if this is a stupid question, but I would enjoy it :slight_smile: )

Thanks

I do this (with giant BETA tags everywhere!) for people that are not afraid to try and want to help me with development. If that is not the case I can shut it all down no problem, it’s not like I am making any money out of this while i am investing A LOT in this.

Thicker, heavier, different material (3d printed nylon), all the colours of the rainbow.

Sure, but I am not going to do it :wink:

5 Likes

Tomorrow I get new casings, I assume those are totally awesome in every possible way.

4 Likes

Out of beta, this fits like a glove and everything seems to be perfect.

If you want, get it here. Don’t forget to go for a funky colour combo!

8 Likes

Looks great. Would you like to share those designs under a free license? (It’s perfectly OK if you don’t :smile:)

At some point yes, but not at this point.

3 Likes

The covers look great. If FP didn’t offer color choices by themselfs I would go for it.

(But I love the transparent cover too much, sry ;))

1 Like

No offence taken, the transparent cover is epic.

This casing I mainly developed for outfitting hardware extensions at a later point. But also some people like to have a purple+yellow phone, always good to add possibilities!

3 Likes

Very much looking forward to the first use of the expansion port in the wild :slight_smile:

Nice going @dvl!

3 Likes

Congratulations! :smile:
The two parts do not look attached one to another : they are very tight to the phone so they do not move ?
Would you post a video of dressing on / getting off the case ? :smile:
Again bravo!

did very small sneaky update on the file, vibration motor sometimes hit casing, now it won’t anymore

1 Like

I ordered the 2 parts in 2 different colors, let’s be funky!

I’m not very happy with the standard FP2 casing, it’s very difficult to install. Nobody will believe you can change the screen in 2 minutes when you can’t even easily set the casing…

Now with added battery compartment!

Just compartment for carying extra battery, no charging or whatever. For those that want to pack some extra juice on the go!

In same shapeways shop

10 Likes