[UNOFFICIAL] Stock ROM Android 4.4.2/4.4.4 Kitkat for FP1 & FP1U

Chrmhoffmann just released a 4.4.2. Stock ROM for Fairphone 1 & 1U

17 Likes

Yay

13 Likes

Just a quick note of disclaimer, although anyone that goes to the xda forum post will see something very similar. This is a completely unofficial ROM and the forum here is unlikely to be able to solve problems that result from using it and FP won’t support this either.

Be careful! :smile:

4 Likes

Works perfectly for me! It even fixed the transparency bug in the play store!

3 Likes

@chrmhoffmann awesome news. can’t wait to try it out!

4 Likes

Can someone tell me what works / what doesn’t compared to CM? especially converning Bluetooth and GPS?

Yeah. Please do so, not many downloads so far!

1 Like

Better than CM:

• Video H/W decoding - but netflix does not work well for some odd reason
  • Camera video recording
  • Dual-sim and other phone related stuff

Same as CM:

• GPS
  • BT

Worse than CM:

• all CM features are missing apart from superuser
  • APN and roaming info is not up2date.
5 Likes

Hey! Can you tell me how to install the recovery? My typical way of doing this (via fastboot) does not work.

So considering the lack of or badly working features and missing out on some security patches that FairPhone OS did get (Stagefright), how is this ROM better than FP OS ?

Edit:
Looks like it does have the Stagefright fix, so that’s good. Still, my point stands.

You can use these instructions for flashing the recovery.

1 Like

If I had more than one phone, I’d definitely try!

I don’t think this ROM is currently meant to be better than FP OS. It’s part of a valiant attempt at figuring out how to implement an OS update. There seems to be some interest from Fairphone devs as well, so who knows, this may bring an official update a tiny bit closer. If quoted question above is you wondering whether you personally should bother installing: if you have to ask, probably not.

2 Likes

Thank you chrmhoffmann!!!

So BT does not work?
GPS works, but no A-GPS?

Is this correct?

I downloaded the files yesterday but the counters remained to 1 so I suppose there are many more downloads than the counters actually say :smile:
I hope to try it today or tomorrow, thank you for your precious work :smile:
Bye!

2 Likes

[quote=“Johannes, post:12, topic:10788”]
There seems to be some interest from Fairphone devs as well, so who knows, this may bring an official update a tiny bit closer.[/quote]
Yeah that sounds like a probable thing. Would be interesting to see a fully functional 4.4 update.

[quote=“Johannes, post:12, topic:10788”]
If quoted question above is you wondering whether you personally should bother installing: if you have to ask, probably not.[/quote]
Well, to be honest, to me it’s pretty clear there’s no benefits for me to install this ROM, but a lot of other people seem to immediately jump on the possibility of installing this on their phones and I wasn’t sure what’s in it for them?

2 Likes

I have not installed it yet because I prefer to build the ROM myself and so far I have not understood what sources/build chain was used. This comes to mind:

• Bug fixes/security fixes (it’s often the same, not all are “official” published. Also fixes for UX/UI “glitches”/inconsistencies)
  • New APIs (some apps need newer APIs to work)
  • 4.4 was also optimized to make low-end devices look better (so the FP1 will maybe feel a bit faster)
  • Bluetooth (not sure if this is a hardware or software problem with the FP1)
  • Print support (I think, not sure if that will work well)

Definitely software. If this problem was solved it would be a real game changer for a lot of people who’d like to use Bluetooth LE gadgets / Android Wear.

But:

1 Like

To be a bit more precise:

• this is using MTK’s bluetooth stuff and not CM’s. So this should in theory then work better than my CM port.
  • GPS should also work better as A-GPS is now supported/

Chris

5 Likes

Hi. So it’s based on newer “found” libbluetooth_mtk.so & libbluetoothem_mtk.so bin blobs I assume? Does the 4.4 BT debugging (packet logging) work with those? Thanks!

BT debugging has always worked on stock FP1 but not the standard way. It needs to be enabled via engineer mode.

3 Likes