English

FP3 sudden death (Black Screen, no Boot, no response to recovery or unbricking techniques)

Hello, I hope someone can help me here.
I was doing absolutely nothing when my FP3 died.
It was on, I was chatting with one of my friends one moment and the next one my FP3 was dead in the water.
Screen went black, no boot at all, no charging when plugged in, no button combination is working.
When I connected to a PC I found that the unit is now recognized as QUSB_BULK and with the proper drivers it reads the Qualcomm 900e code but no luck in doing anything from there. I even tried all the procedures suggested here:

But all my sweating and swearing can’t move the phone by an inch, I even tore it apart and jumped the pins on the motherboard as suggested, I can get a code 9008 and go in QDL mode but the recovery procedure fails to do anything.

My best guess is that I can’t do anything that way because my FP3 bootloader was locked and I was on the standard OEM system.
That’s the strange thing, I’ve done absolutely nothing to brick it, it shut down by itself, my story sound similar to the one I read about the Google Pixel 3 while I was hunting for a solution.

Are we facing a general failure of Qualcomm chipsets?
Is there a solution that I can try, a fix?

I can manage starting from scratch (no backup was made on this phone, my bad) but it would be so nice to revive it or at least recover what was inside it.

If someone can help, please, don’t hesitate to reply.

Best wishes to all.

2 Likes

The article you have linked to is just six days old. I hope this is not going to boil and explode soon…

Welcome to the community forum.

If not done already, please contact Fairphone support about this … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us. Can’t hurt to mention the article, too.

3 Likes

Thank you Elk, I hoped for a quick solution but it seems like I’m a pioneer in this painful matter.

I’ll write to the support right away and let the community know how it goes.

Best wishes.

3 Likes