FP 3 - sudden charging problem

My FP 3 all of a sudden developped a charging problem. Bought 04/2020, no issues so far, no changes in cable or charger. I use a FP3 charger and a generic cable, it’s worked fine. A few days ago it started to tell me “charging slowly”, and my yes, it IS chargiong slowly. Can’t be a cable or charger issue, because my daughter’s FP3 just charges as usual with the same charger and cable.

So what can I do? Any idea what the problem may be?

It could be debris in the usb port. If you manage to clean it and it works consider using a case when in your pocket etc.

2 Likes

thanks for the tipp. it looks clean to me, though. Anyway, how would I go about cleaning it?
Johanna

If you search for “how to clean usb-c port” or similar you’ll find a lot of suggestions.
I’d recommend you start by carefully using a vacuum cleaner with a narrow tool. Some people recommend using compressed air cans. But where does the dirt go, eh? Sure, some of it comes out, but a lot goes further in :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My 5p’s worth : USB-C port unfortunately, much like the very common USB micro-B, includes a very thin “tongue” which carries the circuit contacts.
This to my mind is much less good design than Apple’s Lightning port, which is really robust and easy to clean. I think the best design solution I’ve seen. Frankly I can’t understand why the industry didn’t negotiate a means of adopting Apple’s ideas - well doubtless money, as usual. Maybe there’s a technical reason too. But the fact is that USB-C is more fragile and allows little room for cleaning, while affording ample scope for the dirt to accumulate. @anon9989719 's idea is good - if you can be bothered to remove the case for each charge. Or put a bit of adhesive tape on the outside of the case to cover the hole. But for cleaning, use great care not to damage that thin piece inside the port!

3 Likes

Or consider a magnetic adapter, if you primarily use the port for charging.
The port is occupied, so no dirt.
The port should live longer because no mechanical stress from inserting and removing a connector with every charging.
With the Fairphone 3 bumper on, the adapter even barely sticks out (I can attest that for a NetDot 10th Gen. USB-C adapter), but on the downside this doesn’t have the DIY look and feel of the above-mentioned solutions :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.