Hello! Since today this is a Wiki post! Feel free to add you thoughts, but i would like to discuss additions in the comments.
Things to keep
- Dual Sim
- Replaceble Battery
- Micro-SD slot
- Fairphone Branding and Ringtone!
- Enjoy Peace Widget
- Weight: Overall, the community agrees that the phone could be a tad lighter.
- Battery: Fine. Batter lifetime can always be longer - P: 3
- Improve sensor to reduce unwanted touches on display while calling - P: 1
- Improve: improve sourcing of raw materials and repairability - P: 1
- Use correctly labeled, illuminated buttons or even better on-screen-buttons. P: 2
- More space between USB and Headphone Jack. P: 3
- Trough-Hole on on edge of the case for lanyard P: 3
- make cell (buffer) battery on the mainboard replaceable (and include in specs which type of battery should be used).
- Usability: make it easier to know without looking how the phone is oriented (aka where is the power switch)
- Usability: camera protrusion from the rear is annoying.
- A little bit more max brightness and lower min brightness. General a wider range: It is sometimes hard to read the screen outside, but it very bright at night in bed) - P: 1
- Slightly larger screen, when possible without increasing device size - P: 2
- oleophobic glass to prevent smear and ease cleaning - P: 2
Display resolution: Slightly higher ppi (Pixel density, makes for clearer fonts and nice looking images), 720p would be nice. Depending on display resolution - P: 3✓Higher resolution compared to FP1 is confirmed!
- Add quad-band for 3G networks (UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz) or (UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz ) (for US) - P: 1
- Real Bluetooth 4 LE support (also in Software ) - P: 1
LTE - P:2✓ LTE support is confirmed.
- WiFI: Dual band, eg. 2,4 and 5 GHz support would be great P: 3
- NFC makes for some nice use cases P: 3
- Improve GPS fix speed - P: 1
- Generally improved sensors (E-Compass for example acts crazy on my current FP1) - P: 2
- Add GLONASS support
Processing and Storage
Choose a processing unit (CPU+GPU) with best possible support for open source and os upgrades - P: 1✓ The next Fairphone will feature a Qualcomm processor to improve driver support, see Fairleaks
- Quadcore is fine, speed should be bumped a bit according to 2015 standards. The same goes from RAM
- Internal storage: 16GB is fine when unified as with OS 1.6+ and combined with micro sd card
Camera and Speakers
- Improve sealing of Camera module - P: 1
- Move Loudspeaker to the front - P: 2
- Camera could use some fine tuning P: 2
- Improve front facing camera - P: 3
- A more powerful flash
- Use updatable OS and have clear software support and upgrade path. Provide mayor OS updates for 24 or 36 months - P: 1
- Preinstall useful apps but make them removable (like F-Droid, iFixit) - P: 1
- Use standard launcher to reduce software maintenance - P: 3
- Possibility to specify which SIM slot to use for payments
Accessory connector comparable or even better compatible with Jolla