Software Update: 8901.4.A.0013.4

Hi everyone :sunflower:,

A new software update is available for Fairphone 3 and 3+ users.

Software Version: 8901.4.A.0013.4
Security Patch Level: 5th of June, 2022
Update size (from the previous version): 303.62 MB

List of changes:

• The automatic brightness adjustment feature has been improved, to allow for lower brightness values. This follows the feedback we received from the community. :slight_smile:
  • Weā€™ve fixed an issue that was preventing users from selecting the external storage as default storage for pictures and videos within the stock camera app.
  • An issue that was causing the Wi-Fi Calling icon to appear multiple times in the status bar (under certain conditions), has now been fixed.
  • A cosmetic issue that left an empty space on the left side of the status bar when the carrier name was hidden in Settings, has now been fixed.
  • Weā€™ve fixed a minor issue on the stock camera app that, under certain conditions, was causing a misleading warning saying ā€œFull SD cardā€ to appear while the actual storage was the internal storage.
  • The network compatibility for several carriers has been enhanced.

Please note:

Together with our partners, we test the software before its release, and in some instances where a software update might result in some problems for users on a specific network or in a specific country, we prefer to delay the software release for that specific customer base and fix all the potential issues before making the software available to everyone.

That means that depending on your network provider, some Fairphone 3 and 3+ users may receive this update later. Once the update is available youā€™ll receive a push notification to automatically update.

19 Likes

Downloading . . . Installing . . . Optimising . . . Restarting . . . EE [UK]

• Default camera storage sorted, will now keep option to store to SD card :white_check_mark:

• Front facing camera still shows 4MPx as maximum option :roll_eyes:

• When the carrier name is not displayed the gap to the left of the clock still wider than that to the right of the battery level :straight_ruler:

• Unnecessary Wi-Fi icons on top status/notification bar gone, were 3 now 1 :white_check_mark:

• Maybe some changes to the way Wi-Fi options are shown. Iā€™m sure before if I had a settings option for those ā€˜visibleā€™ now I only have that for the one Iā€™m connected too. Also there is an immediate switch to a selection, I thought it brought up the option to CONNECT ??

Would still like the simple ability to select 2.4GHz or 5GHz, can be important when not having access to create separate SSIDs

Still all seems fine so far and the forced restart may have helped.

7 Likes

I find the release notes a bit short for a 304 Mb patchā€¦

The update worked flawlessly.

The bug, that the Bluetooth shortcut needs to be used twice to switch BT on seems to be gone :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

Just checked for an update and the phone has found 4.A.0013.4. Security patch level of this patch is June, 5th 2022.

Carrier is Vodafone Germany. I checked with a friend who is on Telekom Germany, and the update is not yet available there.

Iā€™m installing now.

2 Likes

Oh noā€¦ Since two years I hope this visual annoyance will be finally fixed. And still no luck :cry:

2 Likes

Well itā€™s hardly priority. If that were the last thing on the list needing to be fixed, I hope weā€™d be pretty happy :wink:

How many words per MB were you expecting ā€¦ :nerd_face:

1 Like

True, but no reason to ignore this issue since two years.

@formerFP.Com.Manager I know this is no official support forum, but maybe you have any information about this issue? The official support is no help as they are saying this will be fixed in the next update since 2020, so you are my last hope.

Similar to OldRoutardā€™s comment, thereā€™s a finite amount of resources spent on updates and this may well never get fixed and there are a lot of other things Iā€™d like sorted before this.

Maybe someone in the alternate OS options has this sorted and can send the code to Fairphone :slight_smile:
I wonder what Murena is like ?

Got the update now, too and it ran through smoothly on my FP3 without any issues at first glance :+1:

Thanks for all the efforts in the background!

PS: IĀ“ll keep you updated in case any unexpected issues show up

1 Like

I think that the screen brightness can now be made dimmer again.

4 Likes

Unless you missed an update Iā€™m pretty sure that was already the case :slight_smile:

That was resolved in A10

Ahh, installing the security patch bricked the phone. Only grey static when I turn it on. Can anything be done?

Youā€™ll also notice that Adaptive Brightness can be used without the screen going totally black (youā€™ll remember that was the main reason why lower brightness was withdrawn last year).

1 Like

You donā€™t even see the Android boot splash screen?

PS - Welcome to the community forum by the way, sorry itā€™s in unfortunate circumstances

Hi everyone, Iā€™ve received some extra information and have now updated the original notes with a bit more detail. Apologies for the delay on that. Some items were already noticed, so very well spotted @anon9989719 and @jdanielp. :wink:

6 Likes

Hi @Andreas_Peters-Lehm, sorry to hear that! Please could you contact our support team to look into that? Best route there would be to create a support request on our website as our phone lines are temporarily down due to a backlog but will reopen again on Monday August 8th.

2 Likes

The update was just now available for me and I have to say:

Yes, it is much better now! The gap is still a bit larger than on the other side, but much better than it was before.

Thank you for this fix, also thank you that the brightness can be lower now!

2 Likes

I posted a quick & dirty translation of the six changes listed in German elsewhere, so i guess it doesnā€™t hurt to post it here, too. Making this reply a Wiki right away.

:de: Ƅnderungen durch das heutige Update:

(meine spontane und verkĆ¼rzte Laien-Ɯbersetzung)

• automatische Helligkeit wurde verbessert, niedrigere Helligkeiten sind nun mƶglich ā€“ entsprechend WĆ¼nschen aus der Community
  • die Standard-Kamera-App ermƶglicht nun wieder das direkte Speichern der Fotos auf einer SD-Karte (auch wenn diese als ā€œmobiler Speicherā€ eingerichtet ist)
  • eine fƤlschliche Meldung ā€œSD-Karte vollā€ in der Standard-Kamera-App, obwohl als Speicherort gar keine solche Karte eingestellt war, wurde abgestellt
  • ein mehrfaches Einblenden des WLAN-Symbols in der Statusleiste wurde abgestellt
  • ein unschƶner Leerraum ganz links in der Statusleiste, wenn die Anzeige des Telekom-Anbieter dort deaktiviert war, wurde entfernt/reduziert
  • NetzwerkkompatibilitƤt mit mehreren Anbietern wurde verbessert
3 Likes

Thank you so very much for the low brightness reintroduction and fix ! :smile:

3 Likes