I have installed the MicroG version. It was quite complicated to me, due to my inexperience with some steps and because I started by following the Lineage installation instructions which cannot still be followed. I reproduce here the main problems I had so it may be useful for others in a similar situation.
- Firstly, I was lazy to understand the whole process before starting it, so I didn’t follow the expected order and did unneeded things (so just don’t use my comments to understand the procedure).
- It is good to mention that almost any problem I faced was someway linked or answered from some thread in this forum, which was nice. However, that led me to confusion too.
- There are several sources of instructions. I started by following the Lineage instructions but they cannot be currently used due to the current lack of the LineageOS recovery. The best choice would have been to follow the steps in the previous “unofficial LineageOS” thread in this forum using TWRP.
- It was a unneeded step, but to access the recovery menu was very complicated by following the official Fairphone instructions. I didn’t understand the timing to press/release the buttons from the fastboot mode.
- In addition, I forgot about unlocking the bootloader before doing a factory reset. From that state, I read that that is expected to be done from the default OS, so I installed the factory ROM (just booting the phone) and tried to follow the procedure, but it always failed: never mind if I was connected to the internet, I set a PIN code or debug mode was enabled; after introducing the unlock code the system failed to unlock it (reported with a temporary message in the bottom of the screen). I didn’t understand the reason. Then I found the alternative process using fastboot by looking in the forum.
- When doing that I was not able to guess (even if it is clearly stated in the Lineage installation instructions) that to use the fastboot command I needed to have the phone in fastboot mode, so at any time, fastboot didn’t recognize my device while adb could. Finally I guessed the reason, but all my attempts to understand the issue looking on the internet were unsuccessful.
- The Lineage instructions (LineageOS for MicroG redirects to them) point to “temporally boot a custom recovery” which at that moment did not exist, probably because the Lineage built is not currently compiled (while the MicroG version is) at the time of writing this. Then I read about TWRP and followed it. Previous complications would have been avoided if I would have started from that point.
- I never used TWRP before, so I didn’t understand its whole point. However, instructions were clear in the header of the previous unofficial LOS thread in the forum, so I was able to follow them around the TWRP interface after booting it.
And that’s all, everything worked after that.
Edit: Making clear that TWRP method is simpler at the moment and I followed unnecessary steps.
Edit 2: Minor corrections/typos.