English

FP3 not charging - ... problem now fixed :-)

Hi, I’ve had a FP3 for a few months now. I use an official FP USB wall plug charger which I bought from FP. I’ve also tried charging via my computer USB. I originally bought 4 new FP3-compatible Anker USB cables that have been working great for the last few months. However, today I plugged the phone in to charge. I checked it later and it was down to 10%. I’ve now tried all the different cables and also charging from the laptop. The charge is now down to 7% and when plugged in there is no charging sign on the phone (lightning symbol top left). I tried restarting. I tried shutdown and back on. It’s now switched off and plugged in the FP charger but, without actually starting up, it now keeps flashing up alternately with a white “Fairphone powered by Android” symbol and then “7% (battery symbol) - do not unplug, Fairphone is charging”. However, it appears that the FP3 is not actually charging. I suspect there is something wrong with the phone and not any of the chargers or cables which worked fine beforehand. I’m now on very low power and running out of ideas and options. Before I contact FP as it’s still under warranty, does anybody have any ideas please? Thank you.

If you take away the battery and plug the phone without the battery, do you see the Fairphone logo showing up and the red light on? Or something else? Nothing?
Did you try cleaning the usb port of your FP3 (carefully with a needle)?
Did you try taking away the bottom module and putting it back in again?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks Alex21. I can now report that it’s luckily back working again - phew !! I took it apart, there was a little water in there at the bottom as it was raining earlier and some must have got in through the bottom charger point or even the sides perhaps. I took things apart, dried it thoroughly, wiped inside the charging point, screwed it all back together and it now shows charging as it should do. All back to normal. I’ll be using a dry bag next time out in the rain or not even get it out !!

5 Likes

If the cause for trouble was water, please take a look at the #waterwiki as well.
Just to check, if you might have missed something and for that extra bit of good feeling. :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing, @LL435 - I had the EXACT same problem. Went for a run with my phone yesterday, and halfway it started to rain heavily. This morning, I noticed my phone hadn’t charged during the night. After reading your comment, i opened it and noticed water inside. Also screwed the phone apart (even though there wasn’t any water at the charging point). After screwing everything back together, my phone is now happily charging. Phew!

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I took the bottom module out and dried it because water had seeped in and therefore it was not charging. Now the phone is working %100. Cheers, Shawn Thomson.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. It’s nice to see someone’s first post is a fix.

All the best

1 Like