FP2 Battery Problems (drains quickly, CPU gets hot) - See batteryguide for workarounds

Yeah, that shouldn’t be the root of my problem with fast drainage of the battery…

When you connect your phone to the computer is it then possible to see the data?
I ask this to be sure your USB-cable is correct.

2 Likes

Battery drain
I have my FP2 5 days “working” now (it runs unstable, charging problems, it got hot somwhere up to the battery, display is unfunctional while charging sometimes) I did remove the display. Today i did read some articles(no fancy things lots of text) for two hours, firefox was in use WLAN was off internetconnection through simcard no weird APPs running and the battery got down from 100% to about 50% in these two hours. Is this normal??? this is my first smartphone so i do not have anything to compare. But i do not have a POCKETNUKLEARPOWERPLANT.
I would be happy to any relation.
Regards uhu
By the way the battery menu shows 20 to 25% for Display usage the rest is far below. oh and the display setting is at lowest of course.

Today I stumbled over some articles, that apparently the Facebook app eats a lot of battery and removing it extends battery life by appr. 20%.
Maybe that is helpful for some of you.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/01/uninstalling-facebook-app-saves-up-to-20-of-android-battery-life

http://derstandard.at/2000030175443/Facebook-Android-App-bremst-Smartphones-aus-frisst-Akku-leer [German article]

3 Likes

Firefox has a battery drain issue reported on a lot of device, its my favorite browser but atm its just unusable , its probably ypur problem !

Hi,

I don’t know if it was already mentioned, but it seems that there is an update how to perform the battery reset with FP2:

Borjan (Fairphone Support) sent me these infos on
Feb 5, 14:44

Hello Werner,

We actually updated the battery reset procedure. You should not use the previous procedure as it will make the device report wrong state of charge.
To kickstart the battery:

• Take out the battery of the phone;
  • Wait for half an hour and put the battery back in the phone;
  • Connect the Fairphone to a charger;
  • If the charging light is blinking, it means that the battery was totally empty, wait for some minutes until the red light becomes fixed;
  • A loading battery icon should appear for a few seconds (a short press on the power button will display it);
  • Please keep on charging for more than an hour because the battery was likely totally drained.
    You might need to do it twice - or at least let it shut down by itself twice - before the report is better.
6 Likes

Does that mean that we should use this procedure for FP1 too?

Hi Paul,

I do not know. I will ask the Fairphone support.

Greetings
Werner

1 Like

My battery also drain very quickly. For example in this case, see how quickly the battery percentage fell down after I had the phone in flight mode and used it a bit.

following that I connected it to a power source, but when I used my phone again it depleted very quickly:

EDIT: Also I just took this screenshot to show the Wifi Indicator, but I just noticed that it’s been only 2 hours that I unplugged my phone and it already used 20% of the battery, now calculating that 6hours would be left with the current charge. 8hours? come on!

EDIT 2: see below how the battery decreased around 20% this morning after around 30minutes of usage. Before I had it on flight mode over night.

1 Like

I don’t get it. I see great battery’s here. BUt this is mine. I tries everything, but this is what i get.
Any tips?

update. Now, 15 min later it’s only 22 hours.
Something must be gready like crazy…

You had a heavy usage at about 19:00.

Which apps do you have? Wifi always on? GPS? Bluetooth? 2G 3G or 4G.
Did you calibrate the battery? (I did it: charging to 100% and using till the phone shuts down. Someone wrote this is bad for the battery, but in my opinion this is necessary at least once to calibrate it)

I for my part deactivated everything I dont need and also some apps which I suspect to keep the phone busy (serveral google apps) and am now testing how long the battery lasts if I dont use the smartphone (only mobile standby, i.e. its possible that i recieve calls).

Now, after alsmost two days I still have 86% battery left ( “11 days left”) and my old Nokia would be proud or jealous ^^ When using normally I (mobile data permanently on) expect 1 or 2 days.

1 Like

Anbei das Feedback von Borjan:

Borjan (Fairphone) Feb 22, 17:12

Hello Werner,

I am sorry to only get back to you now.

And as you may have already figured, yes, the first step was missing: let the
battery empties completely.

We will put online instructions and best practices about the battery usage in
the near future.

Borjan

1 Like

Hi, I had the same problem. After reading this post and deinstalling firefox it seems to be solved. But I don´t like chrome… Any recommendations for other likable browsers that work on FP2? Thanks, Gerd

Try dolphin, small and fast. But afaik there is an extra topic for browsers on FP2 already.

Here:
Which internet browser do you use?

1 Like

It’s not directly fairphone related, but from my previous android experience, uninstalling google play services and dependent google apps duplicates battery life or more. I went from 2 days up to 4-5 days of normal usage on other phones. I would guess therefore that Fairphone Open Source OS will be much more efficient in terms of battery life (I know is not an option for many users, though).

2 Likes

If you only need basic browsing features (no synchronization), I suggest Lightning Browser (F-Droid) (Play Store). Fast, easy (Material Design), open source (so you can be sure your data is not being stolen)

3 Likes

So what times are people seeing? I’m really disappointed with the battery life I’m seeing. I start the day at about 7am with a full battery (charged over night) and I’m almost out of battery by the time I get home 7-8pm. I’ve had WiFi 3.5/4G on during the day which I’d consider normal. Is this actually normal?

I’ve had occasions where I’ve completely run out of battery by 4-5pm because I’ve actually been using it… :frowning:

It feels broken!

1 Like

Hi!
I recognized that if i use games ( father.io beta, traffic Raider vor into the death) beside camer my phone getting very hot and after a time the app crashing. Dont know if its the same issue??? Or it is a hardware Problem?

FP2 doesn’t like games… it’s a serious phone :laughing::joy::grin:

4 Likes

Looks like… but i recognized its always getting hot like i descriped also in normal use. Just browsing online or watch setting from phone after 5min its hot like hell. Normal?

1 Like