Ah, it seems that the problem is gone. What I did: went to fairphone updater. There it was mentioned that I needed to install google apps (which I allready did yesterday). But nevertheless I tried. And this time it worked.
Have no clue why it worked today. But relieved!
Hi, I had the same problem ad solved it!
First, I made Fairphone OS my standard homescreen (I had another launcher; in system settings >apps, I remove its Standard).
Then, I [manually reinstalled Fairphone OS 1.8.7], meaning the second time, the first was via the Fairphone updater (no worries, it still keeps all data and settings).
But this time, after the update, before doing anything else, as soon as I saw the Google apps install button, I pressed it and it started downloading (which it refused before).
It went smooth!
Conclusion: if any problems after FP OS update, do the OS manual update.
A most valuable reminder. People with non-native launchers have encountered problems with earlier upgrades, so this is well-known (by some) as well as mentioned in earlier threads but of course easily forgotten. So: whenever a new FPOS version/upgrade arrives, those who have installed an alternative launcher should always revert to the default before running the update app - just to be on the safe side.
I got the ‘can’t find file’ message, but a second attempt worked for me.
But the md5 error, which I didn’t have, sounds worrying. After the 1.8.5 upgrade, one user solved it by a factory reset, after which it was possible to reinstall gapps: see Google Apps can’t be reinstalled
This of course means that your personal settings and other things will disappear, so a backup (e.g. with Titanium Backup) is strongly advised.
Yep that’s what I did… factory reset… it solved the problem alright but it’s the second time I have to do that, just after every upgrde. Don’t think it’s the way to go… it’s so fastidious.
Anyway, hope it’s better next time…
By the way, just before the reset I managed to installe gaaps again just by pressing the same button in the updater apk!!! Just like that it worked! so don’t despair, try it again a few times and then do a factory reset.
@evidemment: You mentioned in another topic (about the Android ID) that you chose to reset your Android ID to the old one when Titanium Backup warned you that it had changed. As I have learned today, this Android Device ID links the phone to the Google services. Maybe that’s why you’ve had these problems… try to keep the new one next time.