WiFi calling ..?

My provider Cosmote (belongs to T-Mobile) offers WiFi calling but i cannot find the settings in my device.
With this feature i would be able to use my mobile number out of the EU, without roaming charges.

I see older topics (1) (2) about WiFi calling but they’ve been closed without an answer.
Any idea if FairPhone is gonna implement this in a next software upgrade?

1 Like

Interesting.
Did a bit of searching around. Apparently the Android version doesn’t matter so much from a certain level on, I found references to it talking about Android 5.1.1 and Android 6.0.1.

The big players in Germany (Telekom, Vodafone, O2) restrict this feature to certain mobile plans, Telekom additionally demands “Telekom Firmware” (so perhaps only branded phones, I don’t know). I don’t know how it is at your place.

If your mobile plan supports this, you could start the Dialer, dial *#*#4636#*#* … this starts a “Test” menu. From there on go to Phone information, there you’ll find a switch for WiFi calling.
If it doesn’t work, tap the 3 dots (right at the top) - IMS service status (or something like this, German locale here) … This should tell you, whether this feature is available or not.

I guess you’ll have to work with your provider a bit on this.

4 Likes

In the Test menu i didn’t find any “WiFi calling”, and in the settings there’s no “IMS service” in the dropdown.
I have the Fairphone Open 17.08.1, what about you?

I’m on LineageOS, and that’s Android 7, so I see I have to be careful even with the test menu.

Since Android 6 supports WiFi calling in general, the necessary settings could be hidden somewhere else or not implemented in Fairphone Open OS like you assumed, so you’re right. I apologize.

I’m trying to activate it too. The only way to see this setting is to search for Wi-Fi on Settings and then it appears. If I activate it after a while it deactivates. Don’t know the reason. My provider supports this feature.

Using Fairphone Open 17.08.1.1

Regards,

1 Like

Then maybe I’ll switch to LineAge too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.