Update Aug 0129 Ambient light | Adaptive brightness

Give it time, it’ll go back to black soon enough :frowning_face:

1 Like

Got the same problem here since the last update. It’s not learning. It worked fine before. Anyone reacted from Fairphone yet?

1 Like

Hi

Hopefully you know this isn’t an official Fairphone communication forum, so they may not read topics on the forum. saying that there is an indication that this issue is being discussed, I think that is mentioned in one of the above posts.

1 Like

Yep as mentioned higher:

3 Likes

Seems to work. Thank you so much!!!

1 Like

Just wondering if it’s still working fine :slight_smile:

Yeah you’re right. At first it seem to work but today the brightness got set to zero again. I think I had the same optimistic moment like you had.

But thank you for that good idea.

Hope Fairphone fixes this soon.

1 Like

Yesterday I was really flummoxed. It was bright day and I couldn’t see anything on the screen to even adjust the brightness manually, with Auto brightness off.

I thought the phone had died. Only by removing the battery and restarting could I see it was OK but the screen when ‘black : off’ immediately. I had to wait an hour and go indoors to get it back up and running.

Now my daughter has just got the update and no problem, yet ???

Well ??? Next update in month maybe :frowning:

Thank you, also for writing additionally in German!
I’ll try that out!

I also have rhe problem, that after the Update 3.A.0129.20210805 my Fairphone 3+ is adjusting the brightness automatically to zero and that I have to manually set this to 50% again (to see anything).

I did not read all postings here (too many), but I hope that FF fixes this in the next update.

1 Like

That’s a real cool solution…
The software geeks f…up an update of a feature nearly everybody is using and now we are told: just turn it off, it’s so easy…
That’s incredibble…
Sorry for no smilies, it’s just poor performance, nothing more, nothing less :wink:

1 Like

Yes, it’s not a solution to the problem at all only a work around so as not to notice the problem.

Don’t be too hard on the geeks, they maybe having a hard time and it only takes one person, one small character typed to get it messed up.

I’m more curious as to what testing is done, but I suppose there’s so much to test that testing the ambient light sensor in many situations over varying periods of time was never thought.

Probably a simple test in the lab to see if it works and voila. Mine only messed up when it got a little dark and the sensor read zero. If the testing was done in adequate lighting then the fault would not have been noticed.

I’m making excuses for all the geeks and testers, I know, but then I make excuse for all the screw ups I have made too.

1 Like

While this is true, somebody clever invented something called quality assurance to catch something like that before it reaches customers.

Lacking that, a beta tester process could perhaps help. (And of course would delay releases.)

Yes, this would be interesting.

That would have been not much of a test then.

4 Likes

There’s an interesting post that links to details for ambient light settings.

However another issue I note on my device is that the LUX reading via Service tests > Test single > ambient light drops to zero when there is plenty of light

Another anomaly is that when the LUX reading is zero in adequate lighting if I turn off the Adaptive brightness the LUX reading disappears and there’s not even a zero reading. It does start up again once more light is sensed.

But no reading at all ???

After several tests I can tell you, that the proposed solution doesn’t work for me.
For now it helps to lock and unlock the screen.
Hopefully the next update will help.

2 Likes

FAO Fairphone

There a couple of users commenting on

Antoine an idea when this Will Be fixed Alain?

Not really. If Fairphone had enough resources this may have been fixed within days. Maybe it will be used as impetus to release the next security update at a month interval.

I would hope that, as Fairphone are monitoring this topic, they would indicate when they think they can deal with this, but no update from Fairphone yet :frowning:

1 Like

Interesting post