Software Update: 3.A.0129.20210805 (unknown caller and zero brightness bugs)

Just received this after asking for any updates:

"We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience that this situation has caused you, but please know our technical team is working hard on implementing a fix.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with an estimated period for when it will be released, but as soon as there is any update, we’ll let you know.

If you have any other questions in the meanwhile, please reach out to me, I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Again, thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience."

Makes you wonder how their customer treatment is any different from any other major company… throwing marketing bullshit at us. Very disappointing.
I’d rather have them say “we’re over our heads in problems and can’t get shit figured out, please bear with us”
At least that would probably be more honest.
Oh well…

7 Likes

I totally agree. This communication is in the worst way “professional”,
and on the other hand it is very unprofessional not to have an estimated bugfix date after several weeks of knowing the cause of the bug.

@formerFP.Com.Manager I’m very disappointed. At least I would expect some kind of pro-active and open communication.

5 Likes

After all those weeks and the statement that they found what’s wrong with it … i suspect that they didn’t found shit! But please fp… prove me wrong!.. In the meantime what they do is wanking out marketing-bs for the FP4. I can see that on instagram. A hotfix could have been done with a rollback to a previous working release till propper fix for the borked one.

4 Likes

That would have deleted necessary security updates, so no feasible solution.

My 2 cents here:

After beeing annoyed as f*** with the brightness bug i turned the auto-brightness off. And being curious if something changed i turned it on again two weeks later. And, magic happening, the bug is gone… Don’t know how because i did no updates or anything. Maybe that helps somebody to get rid of it also.

Cheers

1 Like

Well, security updates are not important when you have to put the phone in edge/2G mode only to see who is calling you or have called. With that you dont use your smartybrick for internet related stuff. Why not you ask? Because you cant do shit with edge. Point is: They broke the one thing a TELEPHONE with a screen should do. That makes it unusable as a smartphone. I never, in my whole life, had a phone that had such a stupid bug. (And i started with a Nokia 3310 wich showed the caller right)

2 Likes

You can easily use the phone with WiFi or a second SIM. And the bug only exists in Germany with Vodafone, so a lot of people can still use the phone in a normal way. So it’s not that easy to just jump back to the old version.

Guess wich country i am in and wich service provider i use… And no! i am not gonna pay extra for a second simcard because the maker of my phone fucked up essiential phonefunctionality. I use my wifi at home,sure. Where else? Guestnetworks at McDonalds and in hospitals. Only that i am not at home, mcdonalds or hospitals all the fucking time. The only reason fairphone is a option to have, is because of the interchangeable battery and the replacement parts. As far as i know no other manufacturer does this nowadays (aside maybe some funky chinese outdoorphones) The higher price for the midrange hardware is not realy a reason to buy one. let alone the 40€ extra for a protectionbumper…

4 Likes

Buying a new sim from another provider is a terrible suggestion while you ignore the root cause. Do you want to scare people away with these suggestions?

We should not be a fan boy/girl community that can’t criticize. Fairphone didn’t test this release well enough. So we need to demand better testing. Otherwise Fairphone will not improve and will not be the success it can be.

5 Likes

Also. Funny sidenote… I have here, at my desk, a brandnew FP3 for my wife. I have not taking it out of the box yet so that she can use it. You know why? Because of the “bug”. I cant update it to all the new droid10 with your valuable fancy security updates so it will become as unusable as mine. And by the way… Security updates… lol… current Androidversion is 11… not 10. Are current securityfixes from 11 also merged into 10? Maybe i am wrong about this but dont think so.

1 Like

There is no need to act rude. I‘m a user like you, no employee of Fairphone. I made no suggestion at all for you, but wanted to express, that a lot of other people can use the phone in a normal way with internet connection, so rolling back the security updates is no possible way of dealing with the bug.

I never did suggest to buy a new SIM, so who are you addressing?

It is quite common that multiple versions are supported by the respective developers.
A short look at the latest security bulletin suggests, that older versions (down to 8.1!) are still getting security fixes.
Not every version gets every fix, as probably some bugs only affect specific android versions.

5 Likes

You’re just trolling then? Or am I missing the deeper meaning of that sentence that you’ll correct with you next comment? The point is that Fairphone is the problem. Users shouldn’t adjust their lives because quality control lacked outside their control. Sure there are workarounds. But suggesting to use a different number to remedy this problem is beyond me. Please be realistic here. Let’s not sugar coat it or come up with impractical solutions.

3 Likes

Sorry if i am apear rude. Wasnt my intention and english is not my native language. But especially the second sim idea reminds me of the shit that apple does to its customerbase. You know … its not a bug its a feature. Reception problems? Nooo works as intendet you just holding it wrong… Garmin does someting similar with its bugs in gps-devices. I even had Epicgames told me “works as intendet” over a bug in Unrealengine4 under Linux that caused the engine to stall every 2 to 3 seconds (in its releasebuild). Unknow caller bug in fairphone… get a second sim that you have to pay for with your own money because we cant get shit right.

Sorry iam a little bit angry about that. They know it for weeks now and they sayd they found what caused it. So they could have done a hotfix (out of normal updatecycle) but here we are…

1 Like

The point in my eyes is: a minority is affected by a major bug especially when the SIM is used for business and yes this might be really bad. Still I agree it would not make sense to bring back the majority to a previous version, beause a few have major issues. Would it be possible to just offer the old version to the German Vodafone user? I have no idea, however, I assume if FP would do. someone else would complain due to security

To focus on solution under the given circumstances instead of the problem: in case this bug really would have influence on my business and there is really the chance to loose customer and money, for me it would be a simple cost calculation, i.e. what is worse money wise, loosing customer or buying for an interim period of time a second SIM (which I can set off against tax liabilty and in addition I would contact Fairphone afterwards and ask for compensation as a gesture of goodwill.)
Howerver, I think another SIM is only needed, in case one really cannot switch to 2G while not able to use Wifi, because one really need fast internet connection all the time. For sure switching between 2G and 4G is annoying, however I would think compared to loosing customer not to burdensome.

please remind even if this thread was initially opened by Fairphone, this is a community forum and we are all the same user and when we think about workarounds, everyone can choose to go with it or not, or if its impractical or not and I disagree to not suggest workaround just because one might find it impractical.
Edit: and suggesting to use a scond SIM does not necessarily suggest to buy one, because it might be the person has another SIM and just did not think about using this instead.

2 Likes

I think we all understand that you or others are angry, (and would I be affected, I would most likely be the first to complain, however would do this directly to Fairphone and not in a user forum) still as we do not know the root cause, we do not know if the fix could have been rolled out faster or not.

3 Likes

Here is what the issue Tracker page says: (wich is still FP2 by the way)

Please don’t use the issue tracker for support requests or other open questions. Our forum and the official support section of our website can help you answer those questions.

Where else would you go? And the FP3 Source code is still only in parts…

Aside from ranting: Does /e/ or LinageOS have this problem?

I would use a different os but in my experience when i do that i cant use apps for onlinebanking/TAN generation because of unlocked bootloader/root access. Not because of securityissues on my side but those apps dont want to run on unlocked/rooted phones.

The issue tracker is only for the FP2, there isn’t an issue tracker for the FP3. You should send your requests and bug reports to Fairphone support directly.

LOS had it, but they solved it as far as I can see:

Edit: oops sorry, misunderstood

2 Likes

I did not mean the brightnessbug… i mean the unknown caller/vodafone germany/4G isssue.

the brightnessbug i can get around by disabling automatic brightness. Wich i do as standard because automatic anoyes my eyes.

Unknown-caller-workaround is to set network to prehistoric times. And because every installed app want to get some piece of the awesome 2G downspeed plus every website trys to cache the whole internet in my phone its unusable.

1 Like