Official LineageOS 18.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

Hmm, I’ve never seen that symbol while using LOS. I’ve noticed it in stock ROM, but never in LOS.

I have now Lineage 18.1 but I have troubles with my GROM audio in the car. The FP3 can’t find the Bluetooth GROM audio system. I think it has something to do with the 18.1 version because with 17.1 version everything worked fine
Are there more people with troubles with the Bluetooth?

On an earlier version of LOS (I think it was 17.1) zram was set to 2 GB and I never experienced an app getting killed. But I did notice it on this build.

I just used SmartPack-Kernel Manager to set it to 2GB, I will report if I experience any differences.

EDIT: I can already tell it is much snappier. I opened app after app after app and they opened pretty much instantly all the time, that definitely wasn’t the case without zram.

2 Likes

I may have missed a comment about this change, but regarding Display Brightness I preferred the lower level from the build a few weeks ago. Currently on the 4th October build where it feels the last 15% of the slider is the same level.

1 Like

I agree. I never use auto-brightness, so the high low-level really bugs me. I think a high low-level brightness used to be a problem that was fixed in 17.1, but that may also have been my old phone and I’m mistaking something. Anyway, the last bit of the slider really doesn’t change anything and it’s way too bright for me in very dark surroundings.

1 Like

See also my prior post about this.

People have also complained on Reddit and even filed a bug report. I knew people were not going to be that happy and I will try to see if it is somehow possible to decouple manual and automatic brightness treatment. In other words, if manual brightness is used, then allow the old minimum value of 1 - but for automatic brightness restrict Google’s weird algorithm to not push display brightness below 10.

If that fails I suppose we can put it up to vote whether we just revert the last change.

3 Likes

Today’s update somehow killed my sd card. Now I have to format it in order for my FP to recognise it again. I’m not too happy about that. Is there a way to revert back to the LOS version I had before? I thought I might just give it a try by switching the active slot using fastboot. But since my bootloader is locked, this would erase all data. Am I right?

Have you verified with another device, e.g. a notebook if you can access the data stored on your SD card?

My laptop can access data without any problem. Meanwhile I somehow managed to get my FP recognise it again. But don’t ask me how…

I described the way here, if you want to try.

1 Like

Thanks! I tried it despite my sd card working again. It gave me a mini heart attack though because the other slot’s version seems to have been corrupted in the update process. After unsuccessful restart I landed in recovery stating that somethings wrong.

Fortunately I got my FP working again by switiching back to the slot with the current version. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Thanks for trying, at least we now know it can be done with a locked bootloader.

I did this myself a few times in my early Fairphone 3 days without a problem, and since supposedly the bootloader should do this automatically when it detects a few consecutive failed boot attempts e.g. after an update, I think this should work.
Since I saw an unsuccessful try from an /e/ user, too … do Custom ROM updates break this safety net? Not good.

3 Likes

Any solution for us with unrooted phones to set zram?

1 Like

The only way I can think of is to unlock the bootloader and edit some files on the root-partition by using twrp and/or adb. But I don’t know if that would cause SafetyNet to not pass or if it affects the ability to lock the bootloader again. :man_shrugging: I don’t have much experience with unrooted phones and locked bootloaders.

This happens a lot with consumer grade SD cards. Expect your SD card to get broken forever any time now, and take appropriate countermeasures.

Thanks for your reply! I bought my 400GB SanDisk Extreme earlier this year, so I hope the case you described does not hit me. Before that I have been using a 64GB SanDisk in several phones for ages…

Seems shaky. Any chance of zram getting enabled in the default LOS distribution?

I have come to the point where performance is unbearable. This morning I tried to take a photo. Phone hung for 2 minutes on NGCam. Then I got a popup saying that user interface had hung. I tried to reboot, but phone just went black.

Now when rebooted, phone is as snappy as ever, but it gets worse with time until everything breaks down like above. I don’t know if there’s a memory leak or whatever, but I have to do something drastic. Like installing stock ROM or something.

Ran into an app (Hyundai Bluelink Europe) that would not run on our beloved LOS 18.1. The app exits saying ‘… the device is rooted’.

Technically, my FP3 is not rooted AFAIK - it runs with a re-locked bootloader. I disabled Developer Options to no avail. I have read about Magisk but for the moment I would rather not install it (seems a bit beyond me).

I would appreciate some suggestions!

Tomorrow’s update will revert the minimum brightness fix - users will be able to adjust it manually back to 1 again. I have also adjusted the configuration curve that defines how bright the display should be set in response to the data from the ambient brightness sensor. By default it will keep the display brightness at a higher level in low light conditions.

So all in all, I hope we have reached a workable compromise. If you don’t like what the automatic brightness is doing, just use manual brightness. Also remember that it is possible to train the automatic brightness by adjusting the slider position manually. Please report your experience with the new setting.

7 Likes