Headphone Jack/plug doesn't work

Got a reply from support: problem known and a fix should be delivered in next release … Don’t know when, wait and see

6 Likes

I experienced this for the first time today: I unplugged the headphones from a Fairphone 3 but the audio continued in headphone mode, not from speaker. Seemingly it did not recognize that the headphones had been unplugged. I hope it does not reoccur, or if it does, the software update will solve this. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I had audio plugged in the other day, and at some point the remote (pauze/play) did not work anymore (I verified it had worked before). Later on, when the headphones were unplugged, I heard no sound out of the speaker. A reboot solved the issue.

Did the factory reset of your phone solved the headphone problem permanently?

Na het resetten van de telefoon, heb ik geen problemen meer gehad.
Ik gebruik de hoofdtelefoon voor aansluiting met de HiFi instalatie en speelt dan probleemloos 5 uur.
Vergeet niet een backup te maken voor je de telefoon gaat resetten.

After resetting the phone, I didn’t have any more problems.
I use the headphones to connect to the HiFi installation and then plays for 5 hours without any problems.
Don’t forget to make a backup before resetting the phone.

Hello,

Today I got my FP3 headphones, and I discovered the headphone jack wasn’t working, but I updated and restarted the phone, and the problem is gone. I hope everything will be ok.

Best,
Juan Antonio

1 Like

I use headphones almost all the time for calls, music and audio-books, so this issue has a huge impact on my user experience… I have never experienced any issue like this on any other brand I have owned, so, yes, I find it a bit disappointing to lean that so many others struggle with this, as it then appears to be a common problem that should have been caught in testing.

To make mattes worse, it really doesn’t seem than anyone have been offered a solution to this issue yet? Constantly rebooting your phone isn’t really a solution.

I’d really appreciate to hear from anyone who have found a solution or received response by support. I’m unsure where to go from here.

Best regards
Bjarne

Well, as I understand it KEB found a solution (so far) by performing a factory reset. I haven’t tried this option for myself yet.

Hi,

I’ve had a fairphone 3 for a few weeks. I’ve been having problems while listening to podcasts on my headphones. Every so often the headphones cut out leaving me with just some quiet clicking noises. This seems to happen when the podcast is paused and then restarted for some reason, either manually or when the headphones are disconnected and reconnected. My normal player is AntennaPod. Once the sound has cut out it affects all apps and different headphones. Restarting individual apps has no effect. I eventually discovered that restarting the phone fixed the problem.

Has anyone got any insight. Something less drastic than a phone restart would be good.

Regards

Matthew

1 Like

Hi Matthew, welcome to the Fairphone Community Forum :slight_smile: I moved your post here as it seems obvious it’s about the same issue previous posters here have described. From what I have read in the forum, Fairphone is working on a firmware fix for some hard-to-explain audio issue in some FP3s. I don’t work for Fairphone and I cannot say if the aforementioned fix will affect your issue, but let’s hope so.

1 Like

Cheers. This does seem to be the same ballpark of issues. Hopefully the firmware fix will sort things out.

Hi, I got my FP3 last week and have been having the same issue with headphone audio working, and then stopping after about 10 minutes. Is there any more news on a fix?

Got mine for Christmas :slight_smile: Only issue is the audio jack. Plug headphones in and the audio continues to play out of the speaker ( and yes, it’s not the buffer). Looking forward to hearing when there’s a bug fix for this, I really don’t want to return it

1 Like

I finally got a response from FP. To be fair, they offered me both to replace the phone or ship me a top module, but by reading all the comments, this smells like a software issue. I will hang on to my FP3 (which I love in any other respect), and try to work through the diagnostics steps sent to me by support, to provide FP with a more detailed and solid issue log, hopefully being helpful in squashing this bug once and for all.

To anyone interested, here’s the troubleshooting steps sent to me today:

1. Which build of the operative system are you using? If not sure, please send us a screenshot going to settings > about your phone > scroll all the way down till you see the build number and take a screenshot.
  2. Does the issue occur just when using a specific app? If yes which ones in particular?
  3. Does this issue happen even during calls?
  4. Which kind of headphones are you using? Please specify brand and type.
  5. Did you try with different headphones? If not please do it and let us know if you are still having the same issues. If so, specify which headphones (brand and type) don’t work.
  6. Are you using L-shaped Plug or I-shaped plug?
  7. Is the issue happening when using the bumper or without? Please test it in both cases and let us know.

Please, reboot your phone and test it again right away .
Does this solve the issue? If yes, approximately for how long?

Step 1:

When the sound stops, try raising the volume using the volume buttons.
Do you see a note icon or a bell icon?
Note icon : does raising the volume solved the issue?
Bell icon : raise the volume going to settings > sound > media volume . Go back to the app. Does it work?

Step 2:

Run the following test to diagnose the problem.

1. Open the Phone App
  2. Dial *#*#66#*#* in the same way you are entering a phone number to make a phone call. Once the last character is introduced, the Service Menu appears showing you three sub-menus.
  3. Select Service tests > Test Single
  4. Press Earphone .
  5. Plug in the earphones to run the test. Once the earphones are inserted, you should hear a pre-recorded track. If you cannot hear it, that means it is not working correctly. To stop the test, tap Back navigation key. Choose FAIL or PASS accordingly.
3 Likes

BugReport

After unplugging headphones, the audio is gone. Only after rebooting all is good again.

I’ve used different 4-segments plugs, i.e. a (headphones + microphone) combination. Happened with both.

FP3, Kernel version 4.9.112-perf+#2 Dec 17

Praise - and feature request

Superb phone, I really love it. Finally I could leave the S5 behind (the last L.OS fon with swappable battery. By now I had used up 5 recycled S5 lol.). Thank you very much for the FP3.
For truly sustainable phone concepts, please try to invent components which (not only replace with the same thing in case of broken but) actually UPGRADE the existing phone with more capabilities. I.e. a better camera, 2 years from now, which fits the same cam slot. Thanks for considering.

I moved your post here to avoid duplicate topics, please have a look around here.

Else … This is a community forum, not the company. Fairphone staff might read along here and engage occasionally, or not.

Please contact Fairphone support to submit your bug report and give feedback about the phone … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us.

1 Like

Thanks for moving my post.

No, I won’t post this anywhere else now. But I’ve found this above: “From what I have read in the forum, Fairphone is working on a firmware fix for some hard-to-explain audio issue in some FP3s.

So I will just wait for that next update. Any idea when that might come? Since I have the phone, there was 1 update. How often do they come?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I just got my new Fairphone 3 and wanted to use my Beyerdynamics Soul BYRD headphones to listen to spotify. The headphones have a build-in remote (with volume, pause and skip buttons) which worked fine on my old Huawei phone to skip tracks or change the volume while riding bicycle or something else. Unfortunately the remote doesn’t work and the headphones seem to crash the audio. So I have the same issue as well…

1 Like

Same problem. Seems to be the case that the system gets stuck in one mode (headphone or speaker), and stops detecting switches between the two. I’ve tested this and it will successfully continue playing audio in the old mode (and increase/decrease the volume accordingly when using the buttons), so it’s not that the jack or speaker are malfunctioning.

I wonder if it’s something to do with unplugging/re-plugging the headphone connector rapidly, as the somewhat loose jack connection means this happens quite frequently for me.

Also FWIW same solution: rebooting fixes it and is fast enough that this isn’t a critical problem, though irritating.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have the same Problem, sometimes the Phone (FP3) is stuck in Headphone mode.

Now i found an acceptable solution: there are some Apps that give you the ability to toggle between Headphone and Speaker mode. It’s not optimal but way better than rebooting everytime it happens!
For me it is “Lesser AudioSwitch” but there are also other Apps.

Hope it helps some people until Fairphone realeases an Solution.

4 Likes