Starting to lose trust in fairphone (not as bad as it sounds thanks to the awesome community here)

Thanks for your reply. Maybe someone with knowledge about audio jacks has such a malfunctioning FP3, and the equipment, and (of course) plenty of time to do measurements?

1 Like

I will see whom I can find :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Gebhard, if you had experienced the issue on a FP3(+), it should have been a warranty case, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

Reading your post, I would have come to the opposite conclusion.
I have this issue on my PC, which permanently thinks a speaker/headphones/other is plugged in the jack and so I can’t use the speaker. I have come to the conclusion it was a defect with the front daughterboard containing the jack.
In this case, I would think a defect in the mainboard could cause the phone to permanently think there is a headset plugged in, and so makes the internal microphone and speaker unavailable.
Did I misunderstand something somewhere?

1 Like

Just as a reminder: Other sound outputs work without any problem, even messenger calls can use the earpiece. The phone knows that it is usable, just not when I want to make or take a call.

2 Likes

Well, I think I see clearer now. There seem to be two issues according to this thread:

I summarize as follows:

• When the phone is booted with headphones/a headset plugged in, things work just normal until the plug is pulled out. Audio will not return from the headphones/headset to the internal speaker.
  • When the phone is booted without headphones/a headset plugged in, things work just normal until the plug is inserted. Audio will not be redirected from the internal speaker to the headphones/headset.

I am not so sure how the microphone (input) is affected though…

2 Likes

A little off-topic, but I had such a case a very long time ago. It turned out that the plug for the respective audio jack was not connected to the appropriate pins on the mainboard connector. You may want to check this out.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it couldn’t be a software issue and @sozialpr gave more details about what he did and which makes him and the support think it is a software related issue.

I still have questions :

• Why the phone is not replaced ?
  • What are the differences in software between the different batchs produced ?
3 Likes

I can not answer the scond question but the answer to the first one: Fairphone stated that since it is a software issue a device swap would not fix it.

1 Like

That is a completely new policy of them. Back in the FP2 era, they exchanged every malfunctioning phone (for no good in cases of bad RAM timings that were leading to OS crashes until a software update finally fixed that)…

2 Likes

Well, I am really lost and don’t know, what to make of it.

Is it a general software issue, affecting all phones, then it should happen to everyone and fixing it would clearly be first priority. And it would have to be communicated in my opinion.
Or is it a software issue, causde by a special configuration or some apps or their interaction with each other or the OS? In this case it would affect anly a few people. but there should be a workaroud by changing the configuration or uninstalling/disabling apps. Fixing this would be important as well, but maybe not top on the list, as it’s a rarer case.
A factory reset should fix this case. (But as I see it, the case was thorougly tested and analyized. So this has been checked as well for sure.)
Or did the problem occur after upgrading to Android 10? In this case downgrading to Android 9 again might help. But that will have been checked as well.

In any case it would be correct of course, that new hardware would not change a thing.

An exchange only could solve the issue, if the software bug is happening on some phones only; maybe due to an error on installation of the package.
And in that case, they clearly should and even would have to do the exchange.

But maybe I am missing something, since I am really no techie.

5 Likes

I’d be curious to see if the issue could be affected by swapping out all of the modules, or transplanting the motherboard into a different phone.

I do believe it’s a software issue, but seeing as it doesn’t affect all FP3s I wonder if it could be caused or influenced by slight differences in modules, or by the plastic parts of the core module not making good contact with the motherboard, or something else unexpected.

Correct me if you’ve done something like that already - I skimmed through the thread to make sure but I may have missed something. Either way I imagine FP have already looked into this.

4 Likes

I did not swap out all modules but it would we an interesting experiment, though not very practical. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries I am lost as well :slight_smile: I did in fact test a downgrade to android 9 which solved earpiece problem but introduced a series of other bugs - latency in touch input, non-functioning speaker etc - so it wasn’t really an option.

1 Like

I don’t understand this. I own a FP3 (starting with A9 and now updated to A10) and I don’t have this problem. Chances are that a device swap would fix your problem. Am I wrong?

5 Likes

I don’t understand it either. A device swap would have a good chance of fixing it I think but since fairphone wasn’t really willing to do it - I asked a few times - and I already purchased another phone I will now wait and see if an update fixes it.

1 Like

I would insist to get a working device, if the next update don’t fix it - you still have warranty!
I do have a FP3 by myself and I don’t have to deal with this issue and I doubt that it’s a issue that affects all devices.
I mean, you can’t make calls without headphones - that’s a huge issue and I don’t get it why the support won’t offer a repair or a replacement.

6 Likes

Hallo DeepSea

Thank you for information.

It was a FP2. Afterwards I baught a FP3 (not +) so now I have both. Both running pretty good. J

Best regards Gebhard

image001.jpg

1 Like

Honestly, Pixel smartphones get security updates for a long time (3 years IIRC), and they have good support for security and privacy enhanced OSes such as GrapheneOS.

2 Likes

Does anybody know about a recent survey/report on duration of android security updates per phone manufacturer?
I keep reading that 3 years is deemed “long”, but I know of a few examples that exceeded that (e.g. 4 years for Fairphone 2, Samsung Galaxy S7; Samsung promises 3 major Android version for several model which should exceed 3 years). And for Android One it is a strict requirement.
I know that for the Google Nexus models and at least the first Pixel the support was actually dropped after 3 years. Did later Pixels exceed the guaranteed update period (like the S7)?

1 Like