Starting to lose trust in fairphone (not as bad as it sounds thanks to the awesome community here)

Well, I am really lost and don’t know, what to make of it.

Is it a general software issue, affecting all phones, then it should happen to everyone and fixing it would clearly be first priority. And it would have to be communicated in my opinion.
Or is it a software issue, causde by a special configuration or some apps or their interaction with each other or the OS? In this case it would affect anly a few people. but there should be a workaroud by changing the configuration or uninstalling/disabling apps. Fixing this would be important as well, but maybe not top on the list, as it’s a rarer case.
A factory reset should fix this case. (But as I see it, the case was thorougly tested and analyized. So this has been checked as well for sure.)
Or did the problem occur after upgrading to Android 10? In this case downgrading to Android 9 again might help. But that will have been checked as well.

In any case it would be correct of course, that new hardware would not change a thing.

An exchange only could solve the issue, if the software bug is happening on some phones only; maybe due to an error on installation of the package.
And in that case, they clearly should and even would have to do the exchange.

But maybe I am missing something, since I am really no techie.

5 Likes

I’d be curious to see if the issue could be affected by swapping out all of the modules, or transplanting the motherboard into a different phone.

I do believe it’s a software issue, but seeing as it doesn’t affect all FP3s I wonder if it could be caused or influenced by slight differences in modules, or by the plastic parts of the core module not making good contact with the motherboard, or something else unexpected.

Correct me if you’ve done something like that already - I skimmed through the thread to make sure but I may have missed something. Either way I imagine FP have already looked into this.

4 Likes

I did not swap out all modules but it would we an interesting experiment, though not very practical. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries I am lost as well :slight_smile: I did in fact test a downgrade to android 9 which solved earpiece problem but introduced a series of other bugs - latency in touch input, non-functioning speaker etc - so it wasn’t really an option.

1 Like

I don’t understand this. I own a FP3 (starting with A9 and now updated to A10) and I don’t have this problem. Chances are that a device swap would fix your problem. Am I wrong?

5 Likes

I don’t understand it either. A device swap would have a good chance of fixing it I think but since fairphone wasn’t really willing to do it - I asked a few times - and I already purchased another phone I will now wait and see if an update fixes it.

1 Like

I would insist to get a working device, if the next update don’t fix it - you still have warranty!
I do have a FP3 by myself and I don’t have to deal with this issue and I doubt that it’s a issue that affects all devices.
I mean, you can’t make calls without headphones - that’s a huge issue and I don’t get it why the support won’t offer a repair or a replacement.

6 Likes

Hallo DeepSea

Thank you for information.

It was a FP2. Afterwards I baught a FP3 (not +) so now I have both. Both running pretty good. J

Best regards Gebhard

image001.jpg

1 Like

Honestly, Pixel smartphones get security updates for a long time (3 years IIRC), and they have good support for security and privacy enhanced OSes such as GrapheneOS.

2 Likes

Does anybody know about a recent survey/report on duration of android security updates per phone manufacturer?
I keep reading that 3 years is deemed “long”, but I know of a few examples that exceeded that (e.g. 4 years for Fairphone 2, Samsung Galaxy S7; Samsung promises 3 major Android version for several model which should exceed 3 years). And for Android One it is a strict requirement.
I know that for the Google Nexus models and at least the first Pixel the support was actually dropped after 3 years. Did later Pixels exceed the guaranteed update period (like the S7)?

1 Like

I don’t know about a survey, but I just posted in another thread reagarding Gigasets “Made in Germany” phones, that they seem to offer only 2 years security updates.
That’s what one Gigaset employee posted on the blog page in reply to a question.
That seems to be the bottom line.

1 Like

Which is why I chose the Pixel 4a :slight_smile:

2 year is normal nowadays. I remember Tweakers.net looking into this, but I don’t have a link at hand and it would be in Dutch.

2 Likes

If the manufacturer is in the Android One program, they are committed to provide 2 years OS upgrades + 1 year security update. The program is not compulsory, tho. Everything else is up to the good will of the manufacturers. Google is the only one that has a formal commitment to support handsets as long as it is thecnically feasible, wihch averages around 5 years (but might change). Nokia is an egregious example of this policy, Samsung is on the other end of the spectrum, providing updates mostly only for top of the range. In the middle there are the chinese manufacturer, which are in general good during the first 2 years only. YMMV (edited to add some examples)

Do you have any source for that? I keep reading that Google dropped software support exactly after three years at least until the Pixel 2 (included); see e.g. Last Google Pixel 2 update coming in December - 9to5Google. And the Pixel 3 is from 2018, so it might or might not be the first to exceed 3 years.

2 Likes

I admit I might get confused between android support and phones support, I did some research for work a while ago. I don’t have specific links to support my statement, I would have assumed the two overlapped but if you have made recent research and this is the situation, I don’t have any reason to assume you are wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.