Starting to lose trust in fairphone (not as bad as it sounds thanks to the awesome community here)

I think there can be specifc settings, or a specific configuration (I don’t know for sure), that create or influence this issue.
My point is, the fact you don’t have it and he does isn’t a proof it’s not software related.
Though I totally agree with you it would be a good idea to check it’s really a software issue and not a hardware one. But from what I understood from @sozialpr’s post, I think he did (?)

1 Like

I think of it in much the same way. Which is probably why, if I were to use a phone or distribute phones for business purposes, I would probably go with one of the cheaper Samsung models, depending on the nature of the company. For private use, however, I’m willing to take a risk in favour of idealism. So far that worked out well for me, so based on my personal experiences, I wouldn’t mind using the FP3 for business purposes. However, knowing others do have issues and Fairphone is not yet an established brand like other phones, it’s probably not ready for being a business phone.

3 Likes

Becaus I did multiple rounds of tests with the support team and they came to the same conclusion as I did: It is a software bug, becaus mit to module works in Messenger-Calls and for listening to voice messages, but it does ot work in normal phone calls. Plus my microphone is fine - except when I try to make calls.

3 Likes

So it could be the dialer or the provider, have you tried VoIP apps or other dialer apps?
Missed that part

I would try other dialers, or force-quit, uninstall, reinstall your current app

1 Like

Yes we - meaning the support and I - tried. Everything works - except when I take normal calls.

1 Like

There might be one hardware related cause of the issue though:

There are numerous reports in the forum about the FP3 not recognizing any headphones for common audio playback. (The sound still comes from the speaker after the headphones have been plugged in.) Instead, the internal microphone is muted. The only thing I can think of in this regard is that the phone falsely “silences” audio input instead of output. And if those two signalling lanes were mixed up on the mainboard (hardware), that could be a reason for not being able to fix this unless the mainboard is revised/exchanged.

3 Likes

Possible, I will communicate that to the support team. Thanks.

4 Likes

You are welcome. I would like to know if the voice of your contact is heard through the internal speaker or not while your headset is connected. If yes, my conclusion might probably be right.

2 Likes

@all Thanks for your input and much appreciated perspectives. For the time being I purchased another phone (Pixel 4a, I know, the dark side), since I need to make calls a lot (that won’t change in the near future).

That being said I will hold on to my Fairphone 3 and hope for a fix for my bug. If my Fairphone is working properly again I might go back to it. Even if I only keep it as a secondary device I will be staying part of this forum. Because regardless of the software: The community and concept behind fairphone is to valuable to abandon.

Thanks for your input, I hope to read / speak / write with you all in other threads.

10 Likes

Sadly no, the voice of my contact is not heard through the internal speakers.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply. Maybe someone with knowledge about audio jacks has such a malfunctioning FP3, and the equipment, and (of course) plenty of time to do measurements?

1 Like

I will see whom I can find :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Gebhard, if you had experienced the issue on a FP3(+), it should have been a warranty case, wasn’t it?

2 Likes

Reading your post, I would have come to the opposite conclusion.
I have this issue on my PC, which permanently thinks a speaker/headphones/other is plugged in the jack and so I can’t use the speaker. I have come to the conclusion it was a defect with the front daughterboard containing the jack.
In this case, I would think a defect in the mainboard could cause the phone to permanently think there is a headset plugged in, and so makes the internal microphone and speaker unavailable.
Did I misunderstand something somewhere?

1 Like

Just as a reminder: Other sound outputs work without any problem, even messenger calls can use the earpiece. The phone knows that it is usable, just not when I want to make or take a call.

2 Likes

Well, I think I see clearer now. There seem to be two issues according to this thread:

I summarize as follows:

• When the phone is booted with headphones/a headset plugged in, things work just normal until the plug is pulled out. Audio will not return from the headphones/headset to the internal speaker.
  • When the phone is booted without headphones/a headset plugged in, things work just normal until the plug is inserted. Audio will not be redirected from the internal speaker to the headphones/headset.

I am not so sure how the microphone (input) is affected though…

2 Likes

A little off-topic, but I had such a case a very long time ago. It turned out that the plug for the respective audio jack was not connected to the appropriate pins on the mainboard connector. You may want to check this out.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it couldn’t be a software issue and @sozialpr gave more details about what he did and which makes him and the support think it is a software related issue.

I still have questions :

• Why the phone is not replaced ?
  • What are the differences in software between the different batchs produced ?
3 Likes

I can not answer the scond question but the answer to the first one: Fairphone stated that since it is a software issue a device swap would not fix it.

1 Like

That is a completely new policy of them. Back in the FP2 era, they exchanged every malfunctioning phone (for no good in cases of bad RAM timings that were leading to OS crashes until a software update finally fixed that)…

2 Likes