Fp4 camera app not suited for astrophotography. How get it to work?

Hello.
I tried the mode pro on the photo app and canot go past
1/2sec exposure!
That’s really shitty cuz I like do astrophotography and photogrammetry… (Nigh cam shit and no lidar and camera could be better for that price) disappointed

i did have toke the phone like in a hurry cuz of other phone death screen and wanted no glued battery

(already replace one one Samsung a51 but accès to it’s is total shit you bend the battery ungluing it (thanks 3d printer and 90c bed )

But if was aware before I would buy the pixel 6 from Google (even if I prefer the big seize of the FP and how it feel and the old battery way )

I’m requesting software upgrade to allow the sensor to collect light for at least 30 second

I’m also requesting from fair phone company to sell some upgrade camera module special for people who do lowlight photo and photogrammetry…

Put the lidar on the 3rd camera slot. Put an 12mpx main back cam with good focus and optical zoom… Less MP better focus… Better pic less memory wasted… And my photogrammetry PC more happy not having to deal with 48mp blurred useless pic…
And like for the 3rd camera . Put an high sensitivity one that allow 60 seconde of expositions Time … Please I feel my 500buck wasted xD all that only to get a non glued battery… Wath a shitty world…

So my Samsung J5 was the best phone I had for astrophotography… This fp4 camera is under the J5 on lowlight… Also the J5 had only one cam and physical X8 zoom… This more useful 12mp with optically Zoom with good focus … . Why put many shitty cam ! We need only one good…

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is no third camera on the back that is a sensor.

The Fairphone cameras, although having removable batteries were produced with the purpose of supporting Fairer mineral resources and better wages for the factory workers, so that’s where the premium price goes not on the camera, software or modular construction.

Sure the modular constrcution is atractive, but then like you some may prefer a better camera, without buying a camera.

Overall your disapppointment about your choice of purchase is being aired on a public forum which Fairphone are not regular readers of. If you want Fairphone to take note of your compliants you would be better of contacting them via official support, not that I think they will be able to help much, and almost definetly not in the short term.

If you have just bought the phone and are unhappy you can return it for a refund. If howevre you have been using for 14 days before you discovered it not to your liking, appart from a third party sell I’m not sure what help you can get.

By the way making a statement as in the topic is not asking for help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Didn’t you notice I was confusing the 3rd slot with 3rd camera? Cuz the second camera is on third slot… Left top cam1 right top one second slot and sensor and bottom left slot third and second camera…

Anyway… you can come to conclusions I’m trying to at least get something when I do a night pic… Look at those one… Some where made with stock photo app on 1/2 sec exposure auto iso and some with camera fv_5 app that allow up 60 seconde expositions I think using stacking picture method… None of those work it’s total useless.

FP4 just show nothing that total money ripped

And the J5 that’s 2010phone that lasted 8 year on 15 second exposure time will already show this orange pollution from high pressure sodium vapor lamps from the street…

And I did toke the 4 first pic in the spot of my garden where I have a ray of this street sodium lamp… On Samsung J5 it would give the garden day light effect at 6 second exposure time…

Sorry multiple answer new user can only post one pic one reply… This is the lamp that should show my garden daylight effect on 6 second exposure time…

And wath i should get for my buck and wath an 2010 phone level delivered

be around that. (Sorry Google pic i don’t have those night pic anymore)

Quotes "The Fairphone cameras, although having removable batteries were produced with the purpose of supporting Fairer mineral resources and better wages for the factory workers, so that’s where the premium price goes not on the camera, software or modular construction.

Sure the modular constrcution is atractive, but then like you some may prefer a better camera, without buying a camera."

Canot believe it statement… An 200 buck 2010 phone delivered better pic …
Was made by Samsung (Corean) that’s not Chinese lowcost
2021phone should do at least same… We talk about 570euro new phone (480 i got. ) Made in china…
Branded by hollandaise company…

Don’t you remember all phone had removable battery? Thats not a fact that justify 500buck phone .

Green wash…

Clearly the cam is a scam for me…
Where

Despite all the different “statements”, it might make sense to also look at existing topics in this forum to get to a solution:
https://forum.fairphone.com/search?expanded=true&q=camera%20%23help%3Afairphone4

Furthermore, I would like to share the “night photos” I’ve been taking in the past 2 months.
Please note that they all have been done without a tripod (that’s why there are all a bit blurry and shaky), and I have literary no clue about the whole topic. I’ve been using the Wichaya8 Google Camera app (which I found from one of the above topics) to take them and used the night mode.

7 Likes

Fairphone is not a greenwash product. They have multiple certificates and rewards for what they do. It’s not marketing. They only recently started to make a profit. The reason other phones are cheaper for what you get is because you don’t pay for the environmental and social costs. Since the planet is not doing well, with everyone on it, it’s worth it. We need to change. Sure, it would be nice if they had true Pixel quality cameras. One day they may get there. They need your support for that.

10 Likes

They need to do software upgrade to allow 30second continuous expositions Time…

And if the camera is materialy unable To do that sorry then they fails on the camera choice…

And so I will stay unhappy with it until at least they release a camera module that fit my need.
I want low lux capabilities.
And I totally don’t care of 48mp pix
I do totally prefer 12mp one with Physical zoom and sharp detail instead of more pix average sharpnes and grainy

And I’m not asking for reflex grade sensor…

At least something that’s not software limited when you do astrophotography you need go up at least to 10second…

Not lot of people do astrophotography? I don’t care.
I shouldn’t have to pass time here to do a pic of the milky way

It should stock being able to 30 sec exposure… Because 2010 160euro phone was able to … This one is 2021and 570buck

Other brand totally capable of doing long lasting 2010 phone. They just stopped doing it when those glued battery came to the market…

There are some very decent cameras, that fulfill your wishes perfectly. A Panasonic Lumix or Sony for example. Why did you by a smartphone instead?
Please show me a smartphone camera with physical zoom. There is only one (Sony Xperia 1 IV) with a very limited zoom range and a rather high price tag.

3 Likes

Those night pic u show here are shit… More exposure and a little stacking and u would get that beach clear and the sky more bright you d have to software dim the luminosity on it. Then u could say this pic is decent .

The sky pic i shit only mainstar is visible go catch the milky way with that…

Nothing showed here is a long exposure…

Please stop using this insulting language. We are friendly to you, so please be polite too.

11 Likes

Don’t mistake. That’s not up to you … That against the product that Have downgraded exposure time …

I was on the J5 totally happy with my night pics with the real 30 second exposure time you can get the cloud burned from street pollution lamp…

Then my mum give me her old windows phone after washing machine my J5… This phone do also great pic in night. Then i gave her back

Then i was on the Samsung a51 (my 1st and last glued battery) who had max 2 second exposure time so that was already shit and downgraded

There here the 570buck fairphone … Wath we get ?
Another downgraded exposure time down to 0.5 second…

So wath in 10 year you should illuminated ur subject with a 1000watts sodium lamp to get it okay with a 1/10000 exposure time?

Want a phone back to wath i call normal for a phone. And this is 30 seconde real exposure…

Don’t mistake i want easy repair… Non glued battery… but the old phone All except iphone had that repairing ability

Why 2021 camera don’t handle 30 sec exposure while past one could? …

Because a smartphone is no camera, it’s a smartphone. A telephone with some extras. One has an OLED screen, the other a 3.5mm jack, another one a glued battery, the next one a triple camera setup.
You can’t have all in one. Most people don’t even try to take astrophysical pictures with this pinhole camera in their smartphone. Others use a specialized software for that.
We understand, that you expected something different, but it’s just not there, so deal with it or sell your FP4in the market place here in the forum and buy something else.

I don’t know whether a Samsung Galaxy Xcover 6 might fulfill your needs. But it has an interchangeable battery too.

3 Likes

The camera is fine for the general use of a phone.

You can try a different camera app see Nikta which has an Astrophotography mode or look for a more professional app if the freebeeies are not up to your wants.

And of course, as said, please be more considerate and do not swear on a public forum

5 Likes

I literally explained why my images are not of good quality.

Please note that they all have been done without a tripod (that’s why there are all a bit blurry and shaky), and I have literary no clue about the whole topic.

2 Likes

Dear community.
Longer exposure time is really important! I was in contact with Ed from the support team and got this reply:

Hopefully we can implement longer exposure times in the future and if
we do I would like to see your photos of the Northern lights :slight_smile:

So I really hope, it will be implemented!
Dear Incanus: These days, a smartphone IS a camera. Often much better as the former small digital cameras.

1 Like

It’s a camera too, but no replacement for a real one.
You can’t expect to do with a smartphone everything you can do with a decent camera. Especially when it’s about some very rare use cases like astrophotography.

3 Likes

It’s no rare usecase, to use a longer exposure time than 1/2 second

For most people, it is. They don’t use a tripod for their phone, but shoot some nice, volatile pictures to share it via social networks.

3 Likes