FP4 - gcam-port

I guess this could be similar to GCam Photos Preview needing to have the Google Photos package name?
There are probably shortcuts, like double press power, or some hardware capabilities that are only available to specific apps, so GCam has to fake the package name on those devices :thinking:

On the FP4 we just get the added benefit of having multiple installed :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This was posted in Telegram channel today: Google Camera Port: FAQ and Troubleshooting - What are package names (multiple apks in one release)?

Also interesting (included in that answer):

Package names are usually needed to access all cameras and/or to enable features like Google Lens.

Some brands (eg: OnePlus, Samsung, etc) restrict access to all cameras. They have a “whitelist” of apps (package names) that can access those cameras, so modders release their versions with package names that are on those lists.

So seems to be to be a practice to make it harder to use all cameras (so not only an FP4 issue - even though I would not expect this from Fairphone, but the module itself - the camera hardware - is probably also some specific chip etc. and so it might not be Fairphone’s “fault” only).

5 Likes

Does this work here on the Fairphone?

2022_10_03_22_33_16_1

Does what work ??? ???

1 Like

Thats the nightsight astrophotography setting of the Gcam Port…

@StevenHachel I did not test it so far

Have a look here

1 Like

My effort

2 Likes

Is there a consensus on the best gcam version for general picture quality.and nightmode?

no.

That’s not using night mode or astrophotography but if it does, the quality is very low.

This is what I shot with my Pixel 3, 3 years ago. By now the quality has improved already.

7 Likes

Don’t see why you posted about the Pixel 3 when this is clearly asking for advice onthe FP4 ???

From how I read this thread, there was a question if astrophotography worked with Gcam on the FP4. I don’t think it works as it should. And I posted an example to demonstrate it.

15 Likes

After I had to reset my phone, no gcam port works for me.It either freezes on startup or starts with no camera signal. Is it just me?

Latest BSG on both stock FPOS as well as CalyxOS still working fine for me :thinking:

1 Like

Nikita is still working fine since several months, version 8.2 1.8 with recent FPOS

Weird, not for me on FP4.FP4I.A.175.20221207

Hi @Discostu36!

Have you checked the permissions for the app? Maybe it crashes because it doesn’t have the permissions set in the settings?

Hope it helps!

I have granted all permissions.

Can you try installing Camera2 API Probe? What does it report? I noticed you’ve been having other problems lately (Aktivieren der Trageerkennung funktioniert nicht). Did something happen to your phone?

1 Like

My phone was in repairs because of a defective screen.

I had a strange issue where the front camera crashed on BSG. It fixed itself after a few restarts though. Truly strange.