Fp4 camera app not suited for astrophotography. How get it to work?

Not really. It may be an attractive feature but if I want a camera I would buy a camera.

HAS not IS

The main issue as pointed out above it is more like a pin hole camera. Even small digital cameras of 20+ years ago have a lens that lets in 30+ times more light and half decent cameras 100 times more light.

Extending the exposure time is no compensation but it will provide ‘extra’

3 Likes

HAS not IS

That really doesn’t matter. Most smartphone cameras are able to do more than 1/2 second of exposure time.
And the majority of people take their pictures with smartphones. And I was very glad, to was able to take some shots of the northern lights in Iceland with my old LG G6, when my system camera refused to take pictures.

Not sure if any of the following is going to be of use to you

The Nikta one I first mentioned has a max exposure time of 32 seconds

Maybe this will help in understanding the limitations

and if you still have a problem with exposure time consider getting an app, as the camera is fine.

I’ve also changed the title a bit to make it clear a different app is the issue etc.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your input!
I’ve tried different camera apps, starting with open camera, and all these apps showed a maximum exposure time of 1/2 second.
BUT: the “Camera FV-5 lite” does the trick. This is a real workaround to take pictures with up to 60 seconds!
Nevertheless, I think that the FP4’s default camera app should offer this as well.

2 Likes

I think mobile phone camera sensors are not usable for astrophotography because the photosites are too small to capture enough light for an image. They can not do the same job as a camera mounted on a tripod, a camera that has a full frame sensor, such as a Nikon D700 or D800 or D850.

1 Like

It depends upon the users needs clearly some people are happy others not.
Also it’s not just the photosites beinf small but the aperture is also small comparativley.

There are some decent night pictures, not exactly astro :slight_smile:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fp4-pictures-gallery/78667/2

Phone cam is the easiest to go… Reflex take lot of space. Phone hold in the pocket.
Sensor are ok play with astrophotography. I use it to for some experience

Anyway I tried maybe 6 or 7 photo app with manual mode

Nothing to do… It’s 1/2 shutter speed everywhere.

And the synthetic 60sec exposure do not work better than half sec…

If you don’t believe me just look that

Honest review… You can’t go past half sec stock … It need caméra firmware upgrade. Sensor able to take those 30sec why wouldn’t be able when Galaxy S5neo can…

1 Like

Because it’s a different phone. Software developers have different goals.

1 Like

:euro::euro::dollar::yen::pound::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles:

Yeah so software issues not material limitations…

So if happy consumers is not the goal of software developer
So if exploiting well components is not theyr goal…

So I will remember that and No more money for FP

Does a Russian hacker have to finish theyr not finished camera software?

People already complaining about that issue since the phone came out. When downloading that 1.6gb os update is was like yeah they surely fix that.
But no eat that .

No more FP is that’s not fixed Google will get my money with theyr pixel 5 6 that get top place on phones camera ability…
And as angry consumer be sure i will make theyr advertising in a way they prefer i don’t…

Green is scam if you Save few buck on software and not exploit fully the hardware… cuz it mean that expansive hardware is wasted.

Stop editing my post title

You fan exactly like Elon musk fan.
And like all fan you see what u want to see because u like ur idole

Here’s some fish for you: ><((((º>

3 Likes

The issue although flashed with green I agree isn’t really going anywhere, although I wouldn’t call it a scam. It’s an indication that they acknowledge the limited material resources.

But to focus ~ the main resource is the miners and factory workers that’s what the fair is all about. If that isn’t your focus then yes an alternative device may suit you better.

That is where the expense goes not on the hardware

But this is well off topic and I think the above post may give you a clue, look to different seas if the catch here is not so tasty.

Yeap! the Fairphone definitely wasn’t advertised as an Astrophotography ship.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

All the best.

1 Like

You don’t need a phone advertise for astrophotography! Poco X5 does 35 second and is 140 buck.

For me that laziness or disrespect of consumer

Not buying rare earth from child s work in Congo is a +

Battery replacement is not an innovation it’s like if everyone want to suicide jumping from a bridge don’t go say you écolo doing old style …

For the guy who saidphone is not made for astrophotography… Chinese brand know we’ll how to copy wath work well… So Holland do same …

Well we agree on one thing, the rest is finances, and it’s all hearsay about what others can do :slight_smile:

Nikita > Astrophotography > Auto > Max 32 sec.

Taken through a window and took about 7 secs

Rotated, Cropped and Brightened a little

1 Like

That looks fine to me. If you look at the metadata, what’s the actual exposure though? 7 seconds could be just the total processing time, not the actual exposure.

1 Like

You may be correct :slight_smile:

F 1.8 3.56mm 1/3s ISO 17423

Though there was a notification to keep the camera still for the 7 seconds ???

Ah but HDR was on so it took at least two shots so maybe the request to hold was while it dumped one load of data to get another and hence the slight slide on the stars when zoomed in.

Will try better next time to keep still :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s what I thought. No matter how steady I hold it, it’s capped at 1/2s. When I absolutely max out all the settings (not just Astro Max Exposure Time, but also ISO/Exposure Time to 32 seconds), I am able to get 1.51s. Which is still far from 30s+ range that some other phones allow. It’s not really something I would use often, if ever, but it’s another feature that the hardware is more than capable of, but the user has no access to.

I will definitely mention this to support. @Sunon_Cream, if you haven’t done so already, please make sure to also contactsupport and explain the issue to them (politely if possible).

2 Likes

Looking at ur pic. This definitely like no more than 0.5 sec exposure… It’s at max iso too… That’s why there is a lot of noise.

If it was at 5 second exposure u could get clear night vision of ur garden… And more the pic would be burn at that iso level…

This why we try do many 30 second shot at lowest iso then stacking it … …
Stacking dont give u night vision… if there is nothing it’s like 0+0+0… it just help get clearer less noisy pic.

Wath give u night vision is iso and exposure.

And it’s prefer get long exposure than oversensitive iso…

I gonna buy old second hand s5neo to show u how to overexpose night pic and pic up easy light pollution from street on cloud…

1 Like

I like how u say politely if possible XD

This will be hard for me

But yeah already done the 1st day i got the phone…
And still waiting email from them…
I guess I gonna re do it…
It’s like useful missing feature for me.

Also I hate buy expansive hardware thats software limited

Gonna buy old Samsung S5 neo…
I will keep the astrophotography phone that have better antenna thant the fp4 with me.

And use the snapdragon octo core not finished software phone at home…

It’s like this phone also miss an stock gallery app…

Sa fais pitié…

They should less spend money on avoiding kids work and just buy recycled rare earth…
And put all money it’s needed to software development…

Selling phone without stock gallery app… This one don’t go say never use it…

Does installing CyanogenMod can help go tweaking root setting of the camera to do the work they’ve not done?