Fairphone does not boot up anymore (bluescreen)

To enter Recovery mode, press and hold the volume up button and then press and hold the power button simultaneously until something appears on the screen.

If you backup the phone as it is, I fear it will backup the corrupted system. I think there are ways to extract user data (like pictures) from a backup file, but I have not done this.

Hi,
The same happened to me as well.
Last night, my fairphone converted himself in a brick.

I left my phone “up and running” during the night, and in the morning whe i woke up, the phone was “dead”.

it doesn’t respond to any key buttons combination (including the Volume UP + Power), and the only way to start the phone is connecting the charger (even with the battery at 100%), and pressing the power button, however it “freezes” when the Fairphone logo appears.

I had version 1.8, and it was running smoothly, until now, and i hadn’t installed any software in the last week.

@Chris_R Any ideas on what may had cause this issue?

Many Thanks in advance

To use the vol up + power, the phone has to be completely switched off. Since it doesn’t respond anymore, you have to remove the battery to switch off the phone…

@Hugo_Silva - If your phone only starts when plugged in, then I think this is probably beyond the capability of the forum to resolve and I would suggest getting in contact with support directly to look at this. It sounds like a hardware issue.

Hi Chris and Daniel (@Chris_R @danielsjohan )

Thank you for your reply.

I did remove the battery, put it again on the phone, and the phone still doesn’t start (power on).
The only way to see something on the phone (i.e, start the boot procedure), is to connect the charger.

Then, After aprox. 3 to 5 minutes, the charging logo appears. This is when i can start the recovery procedure (Volume UP + Power), and select recovery mode.

The next step is to download the firmware, put it on the SD Card, and try to restore the default values on the phone. (More info about this procedure here: https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202478028-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-software-update-version-Cherry-1-6)

The only disadvantage, is that I WILL LOSE ALL MY DATA, since the phone is not recognized in any PC, or doesn’t boot, therefore i can’t run any backup software.

Many thanks

I think whichever way you look at it, you’re going to loose your data. If you send your phone in for repair, you’ll loose your data anyway, so I would recommend trying the reset procedure.

If this doesn’t work then you will absolutely need to contact support directly to arrange a repair/replacement.

@Tomas: Some time ago, I found this (ADB Backup/Restore- ADB Extractor) and now dug it out again for you. I didn’t try out the instructions below “How to extract ADB backups”, so do at your own risk. If you succeed, I would be really interested in a report! :wink:

Thanks @Stefan and @Chris_R, but i’m not concern about my data.
The more important stuff (Pics, Emails, etc) is saved in the Cloud, so i believe the loss will be minimal.
(PS: Once the repaired the phone, i can test the ADB backup/restore procedure that you suggest … just to know if the works in Fairphone’s ore not! I promise!) :smile:

My concern is what can i do, to repair the phone?
I’m not sure that this could be an hardware issue, because like i said, it happened during the night when no one was using the phone (and the phone was still … at the top of my desk).

Which leads me to the following question: How can i do an manual update on a FP1 (first edition), when i can’t access the “Downloads” folder?
In FP1U releases, we just need to put the image on the SD card, but as far as i know, in FP1 i think i need to put the Android image in the “Downloads” folder of the phone. Right?
How can i do that? Any tips?

Many thanks in advance

Hugo

I believe you should be able to do it from the SD card regardless of whether you have an FP1 or FP1U.

If you had previously updated to v1.6 and also did the storage update, then you would definitely need to use an SD card anyway

@Hugo_Silva: Sorry, my answer actually was to another post, further up. Don’t worry, you don’t have to do anything like extracting the backup file, if all your data is available in the cloud. :wink:

Thanks @Chris_R, but In that case, i think it’s not possible to manual update the phone.

After putting the image on the SD Card, and using the Restore function (vol. Up + power), appears and Android Logo, resting, with an exclamation mark over him.
And doesn’t do nothing else … It blinks, each 2 seconds, but besides that doesn’t do anything else.

Even if i press the power button (i believe it should take me to the Restore Functionalities menu), nothing happens.

Any idea, of what can this be?

Many thanks in advance
Hugo

Sounds like you need to contact support to organise a repair/replacement unfortunately :frowning:

My phone appears to have had a complete hardware meltdown. It now only displays a blue screen then flashes off. Before this it was intermittently restarting with increasing frequency. I messaged the support team but in case any one has any ideas so I can have a working phone asap, please let me know. Can’t say I’m best pleased.

There is a pretty good guide here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Fairphone_Fairphone/Guides#Bricked_your_Fairphone.3F

1 Like

Thanks for your help, I would’ve had no idea otherwise. The Fairphone ROM
on the guide provided is missing however.

Also are there any other ways to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks for pointing this out, I updated the guide. :thumbsup:

Not really, since it happens randomly. I think in most cases this is caused by installing certain apps. My way of preventing the bluescreen is not using Google Apps. The bluescreen hasn’t happened since I started Living without Google. I don’t know if this is an alternative for you, though… :wink:

Hi everybody,

I installed the 1.8.5 from a SD-Card according to https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202478028-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-software-update-version-Kola-Nut-1-8-5 for a FP1 with unified storage. After installation the fairphone reboots, albeit very slowy. It needs at least 4 to 5 minutes to display the login screen after the blue loading screen. After that it does not react to any button pushes or screen touches.

Has anyone any tips what to do now?

Best regards

Can you boot to recovery mode?
If you have backed up all your important data before updating you could try a hard reset.

Sorry for the late reply.
I can boot to recovery mode, so I did a hard reset. Now everthing is working again.
Thank you.

A little addendum: My phone did not freeze at the “Fairphone” blue screen but later at the login screen for the PIN input.

2 Likes

Hi there! I have exactly the same issue with my phone as Tomas described! Now, I am unsure how the link Stefan suggested is providing a solution to it. Does it allow to open this mysterious .backup file? Or is it making another backup once I restored the user data using the .backup file (and the phone stopped working again)? How, then, can I open the new backup format?