Fairphone 3 bottom module availability [5 Oct 2023: BACK IN STOCK]

1 Like

Thank you but it is out of stock as well on IFixit…

Same here. Nowhere to be found. Maybe somebody from FP could answer on, when the bottom module might become availalabe again?
Is this happening in the next weeks, sometime this year or (hopefully not) never? This would really impact the troubles I might go through to get one.
For me it is not urgent now, but the connection of the USB-C is bad and sometimes the phone doesn’t charge at all.
It seems to be available in a suiss shop:

But they charge an extra of 20 CHF for shipping to the EU and you’re likely to pay import tax on top of that. So roughly 50€ for a 20€ part…

For this you have to ask them via support, mail or call. The forum is not watched by them in depth.

And to avoid wear out of USB Ports, I advise to use magnetic cable/plugs

2 Likes

The support told me thay can’t give a precise date for the moment.
I asked for a date range, so everyone can consider their options.
Waiting for reply, I will let you know.

3 Likes

Thank you for letting us know, @Joao! I have had serious problems charging my FP3 for more than a week now, even though I cleaned all the contacts a few months ago, and I always use a dust cover for the USB-C port… so I need a new bottom module too :sweat_smile:

So it may not be debris in the port, given that you use a dust cover. I use a magnetic adapter so the post does not suffer from repeated physical stress.

However the ports contacts can be tarnished and they are fixed, so any physically loose issue can be down to the cable that has sprung contacts.

You can dismantle the actual bottom module for a better ‘clean’. You’ll see it’s pretty much a straight through connection which just passes the power to the core module which then decides how much to send to the battery.

You also may want to consider the contacts to the main board.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice, @anon9989719.

I opened my phone only four months ago and took the opportunity to clean all the contacts. However, the phone is “very fussy” about when and how to charge (no charging, slow charging, normal charging… for a week now it never charges fast), even with different chargers and cables.

As @Joao says, I’m afraid of damaging it more if I open the bottom module… I would feel more comfortable changing everything.

In any case, it frustrates me to have so many problems with this port. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

I got finnaly a good news from the support : bottom module will be back in stock in 5-6 weeks.
For me it is a good news, I can wait until this time. Let say mid-august around.

7 Likes

Great news! Thanks for sharing them with us :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Deep sigh: that would really be good news, urgently waiting for themodule. Hopefully 5-6 weeks isn’t the code for: actually we don’t know!
Thx for sharing this note
Thomas

3 Likes

Dear all,
TL:DR; I have two bottom modules for sale: Would sell them for 15€ (only tested once) and 10€ (used). Location: NL. PM me if interested.

my phone had some charging issues, so I ordered a new module. Turns out that was not the issue, so I can resell it now. A few days ago, my phone died (just on its own, no water damage etc), so I would assume the module in that phone should also still work. Also have all the other parts of that broken phone.

Welcome to the community forum @Silvia_Foiada and have a look above at Joao’s 7 July post. :slight_smile:

(Referring to FP3 Bottom module out of stock ! HELP!)

P.S.: I would recommend to anyone urgently seeking an FP3 bottom module to add your REGION/LOCATION (if that is possible) to your request. Maybe someone local has a used bottom module from a defect FP3 or something similar to offer.

hello, Aypac I’m interested, Do you still have some modules available? I’m located in Lisbon PT, are you okay to send it?

Hi Aypac,
I’m in the Netherlands too and need a new bottom module. Would love to buy the one you tested once.

Hi I’m in the UK and suffering from this same USB-C charge port failure so also needing a replacement bottom module. Does anyone in UK or anywhere have a working used one i could buy?

Hi @Aypac , I live in Belgium and also needing the bottom module. Is there one left?

Hey, no modules left unfortunately :frowning:

quick update : the new date for the back in stock is end august
I just seen it on the module product page…

5 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for the post but there are some fundamental problems here.
The module was out of stock, back in 2021 and again in 2022.
Three years of no stocks or waiting 5 weeks or more is pointless.
THE CORE PRINCIPLE OF THIS PHONE IS REPAIRABILITY AND UPGRADES???
THE CONCEPT HAS BEEN EXPLODED.
IF YOU CAN LIVE FOR FIVE WEEKS WITHOUT A PHONE YOU DO NOT NEED ONE?

The only reason to by a Fairphone (and a low cost backup) will be to avoid the proprietary software of big manufacturers?

1 Like