Android 13 on the Fairphone 3(+)

I have been seeing the ā€˜not respondingā€™ popup sporadically for various apps since the update. If I need to do something promptly in the app that is causing the popups, I am usually able to ā€˜waitā€™ enough times to complete what Iā€™m doing before I ā€˜closeā€™ it. Reopening at that point generally seems to alleviate the issue with that appā€¦ On at least one occasion it was a main system app that was causing the popups and a ā€˜closeā€™ at that point basically soft rebooted the phone. So far this isnā€™t a critical issue, but it is annoying.

Yes. That sounds like my experience. It is extremely annoying and really shouldnā€™t be happening. It was a rare occurrence prior to the update but now happening multiple times daily (though today seems better so perhaps it is adjusting itself?! (I hope).

Did you check out your Battery Usage? Is there any app on your device, which unintentionally drains resources? Iā€™m running LineageOS 20 A13, which is pretty clean of apps running in the background, and donā€™t experience any trouble like you describe.

Iā€™m running the standard Fairphone OS. Iā€™m one of the majority of users who is not interested (or techie) enough to change OS. There is very low background use of battery - mainly screen and maps (which Iā€™ve been using a lot as Iā€™m travelling).

Installed Update Android 11 to Android 13 3 days ago.

• Everything except the already described firmware security problem of the fingerprint sensor works perfect.

• The fingerprint item occurs only, when using banking apps. Caused by security reasons I have to use the pin, thatĀ“s the only (small) problem. Mobile payment with NFC is still working, the pin is only needed if the banking app requires to confirm the transaction. Typing the pin means around 5 seconds more time needed than before. As of my opinion this no problem.

• Battery consumption seems to be equivalent to Android 11.

• The performance if starting an app seems to be better, means a little bit faster. Appreciate this behaviour.

• Look and feel of the FP3 with Android 13 has improved, means more comfortable and smarter. Appreciate this too.

As of me, I think it is worth to update to Android 13. Thanks to the Fairphone Team for providing this update.

If available I would invest the money for a new updated fingerprint sensor, but at all this is a real minor item. I just appreciate to have a smartphone with 100% functionality than just 99%. I think this is typical german, we appreciate to get it perfect. :slight_smile:

In great expectation of many more years using my FP3.

Last but not least this had been one of the main reasons to buy a Fairphone 3 years ago.

Still very happy with this decision!

15 Likes

I came here tonight to say pretty much this. Thank you for saving me the time to think about how to write my feelings about the Android 13 updates hehe
Thank you the Fairphone team, this was a very welcomed update from my point of view !

5 Likes

After almost three weeks of normal daily use, I can say my experience with the upgrade from Android 11 to Android 13, in my case, was satisfactory :slightly_smiling_face: .

Of course, there were some problems :-1: :

• Change/disappearance of some ringtones. Fix: reconfigure them.
  • Crashing/freezing of the launcher (Lawnchair). Fix: switch to using the default launcher.
  • The top search bar of the default launcher applications grid doesnā€™t work. If I tap on it, it hides the app grid and returns to the home screen. Didnā€™t find a solution, but not a big problem for me.
  • New and different design, change of location of some options and settings . Fix: get used to it.
  • Occasional problems with some applications. Fix: review permissions and regrant them: camera, microphone, battery usage in the backgroundā€¦
  • Lack of fingerprint sensor in password manager. Fix: use pin (when possible) and get used to it. I have to say that it still works well for unlocking and other uses.

But, however, almost everything works exactly the same as before :+1: :

It is clear that each personā€™s use of the smartphone is different: I, for example, do not use dual SIM, or NFC, or mobile payment, or other applications that may give problems to other persons. However, as I say, I am happy and, despite the small drawbacks (many of which I imagine the Fairphone team will be correcting). In short: I would recommend the update :ok_hand:.

Thanks and congratulations to all the hard-working people at Fairphone. And lots of encouragement to face the new challenges and fixes that this update brings :muscle:

14 Likes

A big thank you Fairphone for the recent upgrade to Android 13 for the Fairphone 3! Your dedication to not only keep up with technological advancements but also championing sustainability in the smartphone industry is truly admirable. In a crowded market, your efforts to stand out by embracing ethics and longevity make a difference.

Itā€™s clear that Fairphone isnā€™t just about the device; itā€™s a movement towards a more responsible tech world. Keep leading the charge, and know that your work deeply resonates with many of us.

Again thanks!

8 Likes

Thanks, Mixigodo. I also appreciate the work of the developers.

My (~3yr old) FP3 has also been stalling every day or two since the last update. I assumed it was my phone getting old, but it seems others have similar issues.

Hopefully the FP team will address these issues

1 Like

Hi,
Just a little update.
My line seems to be veeeerrrry long because I still donā€™t received any update. :smile:

Me neither, it still says ā€˜Your system is up to date. Android: 11ā€™.

According to this message the rollout should have been completed almost a month ago, but the other day I saw someone on a different site mention that they never got the update prompt either.

I have this unsubstantiated theory that a batch has been skipped due to the temporary stop of the rollout, and have sent a mail to support a few days ago (no answer just yet).

Hey all,

having waited for some weeks to see how many people would be affected by problems with the update, I gave in a few days ago after having read some of positive feedback here.

Downloaded and installed the update and have had no problems, apart from the fact that I had to adjust the network setting which was set to ā€œedgeā€ after the update - moved it back to ā€œautomaticā€ and everything seems to work just fine since 2 days.

I had never used the fingerprint sensor before and am not intending on using it now so that part of the update does not bother me.

Speed and stability of applications and battery usage seem to not be any different from before.

So - all good for now, Iā€™m pretty happy with the update!

5 Likes

Hi @tjeb, I asked around and Iā€™m happy to share some more information about this.

In a way, itā€™s true that updates ship out in batches - devices are grouped by network provider, depending on the inserted SIM card. Before an update is released, both Fairphone and partners perform a wide variety of tests to ensure the software meets our expectations and quality standards.

Sometimes, especially when testing Android upgrades (e.g. Android 11 ā†’ 13), we discover an issue, which is not easy to solve. In those cases, Fairphone may make the decision to not release a specific software to a portion of customers, because that software can negatively impact the usability of the device, one way or another. This is what happened in this case, and it concerns customers of KPN Netherlands, as well as SFR France.

We are not able to say when Android 13 will be available to customers of these providers. We are working hard to deliver it as soon as possible. In the meantime, we will continue to actively support Android 11 and a security patch update is already in the works.

8 Likes

I upgraded to A13 more than a month ago. I still have some applications crashing and I am afraid to reactivate the screen rotation which collapsed the phone, like reported here by many.
Is there any information when Fairphone would release a first patch on A13 for FP3(+), maybe correcting some issues ?
And could you please help me with the bug report process with Fairphone ? I would like to start creating tickets if the issues remain.

Apart from not being able to open my bank apps using fingerprint, no issues here with Android 13 on a 3,5 years old (young) FP3. I am happy with the extra safety build in.

4 Likes

Oh, well, that updateā€¦ What can I say!?

First of all: I donā€™t have the problem of sudden restarts of my FP3+ (no matter if Iā€™m on a phone call, using a random app or simple have the phone in stand-by) any more. That great. BUT NOW:

ā†’ My phone screen stays black at random. A few seconds before everything went fine and now it doesnā€™t turn on any more. (The on/off button is still responsive because the phone vibrates keeping it pushed. Also while an alarm is turned on the phone makes sounds and vibrates but the screen is unresponsive.)
Usually I had to remove the battery and try to restart it between 1 and 5 times. But now Iā€™m completely stuck: If the screen finally turns on after removing the battery several times it starts flashing while the system is booting and then turns off again. No damn chance to use my phone at all! >:-((((

Quite interesting how milage (or whatever) may differ.

For my own part, I DO also have some complaints (which I already mentioned here) - but ā€œunusableā€ā€¦ ??

Actually, my own one is quite severly equiupped with all sorts of things that should IMO reveal ā€œcases of unusabilityā€ quite quickly. The stuff Iā€™m running esp. with the help of Tasker & Termux to make the phone a comfy downsized replacement of my desktop environment on occasion truly isnā€™t for the faint of heart ā€¦
ā€¦ but it still DOES that job here! Much better than before in quite some aspects, unfortunately not in all, and some are shwat nasty, but ā€œunusableā€ is a term that IMNSO says more about the userā€™s state here than that of the device.

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ thanks for your constructive-minded approach.

I was, with countless attempts of removing the battery and starting it again, not able to turn on the screen from about 11 am to 10 pm. This, to me, would describe ā€œa day of an unusable smartphoneā€ pretty well, wouldnā€™t it?

Strange enough the phone screen got out of its blackness restarting it after my alarm made it vibrate and make soundsā€¦ :wink: But I donā€™t think thereā€™s any connection.

PS: Iā€™ve sent an official support request yesterday evening then.
PPS: Iā€™ve disabled the auto-rotate function since in this forum some wrote that it somehow removed this issue for them. Letā€™s see how far I can get todayā€¦

A13 upgrade has not been ok for me. No big problems, but everything just seemed to go too slow. I finally decided to try /e/OS and I am plesantly surprised. By far now, I can still use all my apps. And the system runs more fluentā€¦! The ā€œeasy installerā€ is a very simple process.

2 Likes

As installing /e/OS involves a factory reset, the factory reset might have been the key to this and Fairphone OS could have run fluently after a factory reset, too (or did you try this before /e/OS?).

I will applaud trying an alternative OS, of course :+1: .

3 Likes