Can't unlock OEM, showing "Processing" message permanently

Hello folks,

I’m having the same issue as some others had here some time ago (and were never solved from what I could see), two examples:
Bootloader Unlocking Code for Fairphone 3 not working - #36 by Volker - user @Alexandre
Can't get my boot unlock code - #2 by Volker - user @AnotherElk

So I’m stuck with this “Processing…” message when trying to unlock the OEM (planning to switch to e/OS/ after using FairphoneOS since early 2020). What I’ve done so far:

• Successfully obtained an unlock code from FP3 'verify code' generator (the FP website one doesn’t work for me)
  • Double checked my IMEI and serial no., taking all SIM cards out - they still match
  • Tried to regenerate that code - stayed the same
  • Connected to internet (tried WiFi and 4G)
  • Updated FairphoneOS to the latest version (Android 11 8901.4.A.0022.0)

Strangely, unlike other users who’ve posted in the past, I don’t get an “Inner unknown failure” pop-up message but just a grey blob without any text.

Unfortunately my command line skills are close to non-existant otherwise I’d try to create a log using ADB (tried to google it but a bit overwhelmed to be honest - I’d be glad if someone could steer me in the right direction).

Does anyone know what the issue might be and how I can unlock the OEM? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Okay, I managed to get the relevant lines from logcat (I think):

06-03 16:57:39.844 2374 2374 D OemLockVerifier: queryVerifyResultGet–targetUrl=https://factory.fairphone.com/api/unlock-codes/Technician’s IMEI/Technician’s serial no./Technician’s unlock code
06-03 16:57:39.845 2374 22105 D OemLockVerifier: queryVerifyResultGet–oem Lock verifier Start
06-03 16:57:39.845 2374 22105 D OemLockVerifier: acquireWakeLock
06-03 16:57:39.846 2374 22105 D OemLockVerifier: mWakeLock acquire.
06-03 16:57:40.518 2374 22105 D OemLockVerifier: WARNING: Hostname is not matched for cert.
06-03 16:57:50.743 2374 22105 D OemLockVerifier: queryVerifyResultGet()–resp_code1=504
06-03 16:57:50.743 2374 22105 D OemLockVerifier: queryVerifyResultGet()–verify_code1=
06-03 16:57:50.743 2374 22105 I OemUnlockPreferenceController: Verify oem lock Result : 504,msg:

So this seems to be related to this thread: OEM Unlock getting stuck on Processing - Server 503 - only that I get error 504 rather than 503. Error 504 seems to be a “gateway timeout”…so I’m guessing I can only resort to contacting the FP support here?

PS I use the NetGear app but of course I turned it off during the whole procedure…

Hi Technician,

Mmm, I try to remember :
What you said make me think that my problem was similar. I contacted the Fairphone Support too, and during my waiting of a response, I retry time to time and one day it worked (no “processing message”) and I could unlock the bootloader (they answered me after and I told them it was resolved).
I’m on /e/os since and it works quite well (for my needs of this phone).

Hope you will resolve this problem. :crossed_fingers:
Cheers

1 Like

Merci for your feedback! What did the support write to you back then, do you still have access to the ticket you’ve opened?

By the way I opened a ticket myself now, and will try again to unlock the OEM in the meantime.

I found the mails notifications from the FP support :
My memory was not so good lol.

After reading, my bootloader problem seems to be solved but I didn’t have the time too put my phone on /e/os (so I should did it way later, maybe at the end of the year 2021 (?) ).

I put the mails here (with no personals info in it) but it will not be very usufull for you, sorry. Only FP support can help I think :

40x40 Alex

Jun 13, 2021, 17:19 GMT+2

Hello,

I contact you because I’m trying to install /e/OS on my Fairephone 3.
I need to unlock the bootloader, I got the code (after a long time on the FP website) with my IMEI ( *** ) and my serial number ( *** ) but when I tried to use it, I’m still blocked with a message saying: “Processing…”

I read and contacted the community on the FP forums but for now no solutions.

Have you got a solution please ?
Thank you
*** Alexandre

Attachment(s)
Screenshot_20210613-171654.png

40x40 Solveig (Fairphone)

Jun 21, 2021, 14:00 GMT+2

Dear Alexandre,

My name is Solveig from the support team. I’ll be your case manager, nice to e-meet you :slight_smile:

Thank you for supporting Fairphone and for reaching out. I am sorry you are experiencing this problem while unlocking your bootloader!

I believe this might have been a temporary problem - you should now be able to unlock your bootloader, and install your custom OS. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any further questions you might have.

I wish you a lovely day, take care!

Best regards,

Solveig

German - English

☆ Fairphone Buy a phone, join a movement!

40x40 Alex

Jun 28, 2021, 17:14 GMT+2

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

I didn’t have the occasion to retry because the 0.17 version of /e/OS was removed from the servers due to some problems.

Now, the new 0.17 with bug fix is back but… I don’t have the time for now to install /e/OS.

I’ll retry when I can as soon as possible.

Thank you again for taking time to respond to me.

Best regards,

*** Alexandre

Jun 28, 2021, 17:17 GMT+2

Dear Alex,

Of course, take all the time you need!

Please feel free to reach out to me again whenever you need further assistance.

I wish you a lovely day, take care!

Best regards,

Solveig

German - English

Monday to Friday, 10:00-17:00

Jul 20, 2021, 8:11 GMT+2

Dear Alex,

I hope you are doing well!

As I have not heard back from you in a while, I just wanted to check in with you and ask whether you need further assistance from us.

If you could give me a quick update, that would be great! I can then either help you further, or close your request.

For now, I wish you a lovely day, stay safe!

Best regards,

Solveig

German - English

40x40 Alex

Jul 21, 2021, 22:54 GMT+2

Hello,

Thank you for asking.

Unfortunatly, some problems came in my life, and for now I don’t have the time to launch this project for my phone…

You can close this request, the problem of the bootloader should be gone for everyone.

I hope I’ll retry to install /e/OS in some few months with (finger crossed) no problems. :wink:

Best rergards and thank you again.

*** Alexandre

Jul 22, 2021, 11:42 GMT+2

Dear Alex,

Thank you for contacting me and letting me know!

I will thus now close this request, but if you need our support in the future you can always reach out to us by creating a new request on our support website. I will be happy to help you again!

For now, I wish you a great day, take care!

Best regards,

Solveig

German - English

1 Like

Alright, thank you anyway for sharing. Perhaps someone else has another idea - in any case I’ll report back once the FP support replied to my ticket.

1 Like

Turns out it was an issue on Fairphone’s side: I got an reply Tuesday last week that there was a server problem, that it has been fixed and I should be able to unlock the OEM now.

Lo and behold, I was able to generate a new unlock code on the Fairphone website (the CS representative pointed that out) and the unlock worked promptly.

TL;DR If you followed the OEM unlocking tutorial carefully and you’re sure everything has been done correctly, contact the FP support if it still plays up.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.