Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

Welcome to the community forum!
I moved your post here as it is more appropriate for a discussion. Please have a look at this thread.

Thanks Alex, I’ve read the thread now and have cleared the cashe from all Apps, will let you know whether that helps.

1 Like

I have the same problem. One time, immediately after the update, wile I was opening an app (Telegram), twice by pressing the power button during a call and other random.

I took my memory card out that seems to of work cross fingers toes and pray to all Holy things

1 Like

I am 100% convinced the random reboots have something to do with the latest Android 10 Upgrade. My phone was running perfectly well until I received the notification I should upgrade. I successfully ignored it for weeks until I was forced to upgrade (no option anymore to postpone). Literally, after the upgrade the phone started with the random reboots…no matter if on the phone, on the desk or elsewhere. How can I undo the upgrade? I am sure this problem would disappear if I hadn´t Android 10.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community forum.

You could use the file FP3-REL-2.A.0134-20200703.120010-userdebug-fastbootimage.7z from here …

… with the guide from here (not downloading the file suggested in the guide) …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-on-FP3-FP3-

Be aware that a downgrade of the major Android version (from Android 10 back to 9) as well as unlocking/relocking the bootloader (included in the guide) will force a factory reset, so you will lose your data on the phone if you follow this procedure, so backup all your important data beforehand or make sure it is completely synced to the internet.

4 Likes

Yes me too.

They broke my phone. FP3 with Android10 = randomreboots.

See this: Android 10 with bugs - e.g. reboots (build ....0045)
And yes, I have contacted support too.

They should really not wrongly announce a beta version as an essential upgrade, that is very bad style IMHO.

Any FP veterans here? --> how many hours days weeks months years does it usually take until new versions are released?

Phone is declared BROKEN until new build is released.

Thanks rae, that is helpful. Good that you are working on it.

That was 2 weeks ago. Any progress?

Could you perhaps publish a short list of things I can do that might possibly reduce the number of randomreboots? (e.g. airplane more, uninstall certain apps, etc.)

Even if not 100% sure, that would help already.

Stuff we can try.

Thanks.

1 Like

3 Likes

Already more than an hour now without a reboot. Whew. Hooray.

Solved: Forget the cellular phone network functionality for now, it’s broken. Use internet telephony, whatsapp, signalapp, SIP, … whatever.

What to do: Switch to airplane mode, then enable WiFi & bluetooth manually.

1 Like

For those still struggling.
When you install the latest update the random reboot issue should be solved.

I first tried with just doing a manual update, but got a bit stuck there. So I decided to do a reset of the phone (be sure to first remove your SIM and SD cards). When I started to phone without the SIM and SD and checked for an update version 8901.3.A.0045.20200605 appeared available which will solve the issue.

2 Likes

I had NO such issue with Android 9 …

… UNTIL then I installed the update which is called

10 (8901.3.A.0045.20200905)

The random reboots happened THEN, i.e. now.

1 Like

DId you remove SIM card before installing the update?
If not this might be the cause of the problem. In that case, if the problem remains, I recommend removing SIM card (and SD card if you have one), and reset the phone the factory settings.

2 Likes

@Sietse, what is your information based on that performing a factory reset with the SIM cards being removed should fix the issue?

As mentioned in post 21, performing a factory reset has not helped. Granted, @DanSmith mentioned that he had removed the SD card but didn’t mention the SIM there, so it might after all be a different situation.

Yet, please don’t get wrong, but before performing a factory reset and invest hours over hours again in backup-restore-and-reconfigure activities, I’d like to have more information available than a hint that might or might not work.

Also, I do have the build 20200905 installed already: will it suffice to do the factory reset or would this approach only have helped, if the update itself has been performed with the SIM cards being removed (which they weren’t in my case).

Also, in my humble opinion, Fairphone should offer a better solution than to ask their customers to reinstall everything from scratch.

What’s the official status on this issue?
It’s been over a month now since the release of the - for at least some customers - problematic Android 10 upgrade: could Fairphone please post a status and keep us in the loop? (Yes I’m in contact with support and no I haven’t received a possible timeline or hint on what’s going on.)
I don’t wanna start a flamewar here, but just to make clear how unbearable the current situation to those affected is: The weird thought of replacing my FP3 with a phone by another manufacturer has already crossed my mind several times now…!

Blockquote what is your information based on that performing a factory reset with the SIM cards being removed should fix the issue?

I contacted customer support and got the advice to install the update without the SIM card.

Blockquote As mentioned in post 21, performing a factory reset has not helped. Granted, @DanSmith mentioned that he had removed the SD card but didn’t mention the SIM there, so it might after all be a different situation.

If you check his post he is still using 0033 and not 8901.3.A.0045.20200905 as I recommended in my post above

Blockquote but before performing a factory reset and invest hours over hours again in backup-restore-and-reconfigure activities

If you use the Google Backup functions automatically it takes you not so much time, except for maybe copying pictures and videos to a computer. The reinstallation of all apps (approx 120) took me 10 minutes.

As for the rest, if you want more information be sure to contact Fairphone Support. I just followed their advice and for me it worked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi anotherElk,

Many thanks for your response and your efforts.

Reseting my phone is no option. I was hoping to be able to go back to the previous version without a reset. I agree with @amers. It is not acceptable, that I spend hours on reseting and backing up data only because of an update I initially didn´t want and was forced to install. It is o.k. to make mistakes and even updates can have problems but it is not fair to let others pay for it. I expect Android to fix this issue asap and release a new update.

1 Like

I understand your frustration, @Nicole. Unfortunately, the first response for device issues, even from companies like Apple, will be a factory reset. :frowning:

4 Likes

Hello everyone,

After a week or so, of having the reboot issue, they stopped on their one. I didn’t anything and it stable again for all this time (hope it doesn’t happen again today :smiley: ).

So, I’m not sure if Android is ‘updating’ in the background without my knowledge (or consent), but the fact is that it is stable (again). If there are others is the same ‘miraculous recovery’ maybe there is something going on that we are all overlooking.
I don’t have a clue what it could be.
I just felt that this info could help understand the apparent ‘fussiness’ of the issue.

3 Likes

So I’ve been having issues with reboots and been following this thread for a while, hoping for a patch to solve the issue. With no patch in sight, last Friday I caved in and did a factory reset as @Sietse suggested. I even removed the SIM card first although I have no idea why that is needed. Well, after four hours and three glasses of wine the whole procedure was complete. I verified the update version to be 8901.3.A.0045.20200905. Happy with the whole thing taken care of, I must say the phone felt a bit more performant. But I really have no data to back that up.

On Saturday everything works smoothly and no reboots! Come Sunday lunch, I get a message on whatsapp and when unlocking the phone the display freezes. The first reboot. Three hours later, when the phone is in my pocket, reboot again. So while the phone doesn’t reboot as often as it did before the factory reset, the reboots are still there.

I don’t know if this post will help anyone, but I feel I need to keep this thread alive because this issue needs to be resolved. :heart:

6 Likes

If it didn’t help I recommend to contact Fairphone customer support.
They are there to help you.

2 Likes