Software update: FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920

Hi everyone,

Jan here, covering for Rae for a bit :slight_smile:

A new software update for Fairphone 4 users is available.

Software Version: FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920

Security Patch Level: 5th of September, 2022

Update Size: 99.31 MB

Changes:

• Fixed an issue that was causing a debug folder to appear on the root of the data partition, also on non-debug software.
  • Fixed an issue that was causing the thumbnails of media to appear slowly when using Windows 10 File Explorer.
  • The Wi-Fi module will now prioritize 5 GHz frequency over 2.4 GHz on the same network, when available.
  • The network compatibility for several carriers has been enhanced.

Please note:

Together with our partners, we test the software before its release, and in some instances where a software update might result in some problems for users on a specific network or in a specific country, we prefer to delay the software release for that specific customer base and fix all the potential issues before making the software available to everyone.

Depending on your network provider, some Fairphone 4 users may receive this update later. Once the update is available, you’ll receive a push notification to update automatically.

24 Likes

Thanks.

Make this thread findable via search:

fp4g.a.0170

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=Fp4g.a.0170

1 Like

Cool. No problems with the update here.

Google Fi in South America.

4 Likes

Remove that first 0 and it’ll show up…
https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=Fp4g.a.170
…or just search for 170.

4 Likes

Ich konnte nach dem Update nicht mehr telefonieren. Das Zurücksetzen des APN ermöglichte dieses wieder. Finde es etwas seltsam, dass ich es nach jedem Update machen muss. Vodafone Netz…

I couldn’t make calls after the update. Resetting the APN enabled this again. Find it a bit strange that I have to do it after every update. Vodafone network…

4 Likes

At least you can make calls :nerd_face:

Do you have VoLTE enabled? Otherwise how would APN have influence on phone calls🤔

You couldn’t find it as you wrote the number wrong :slight_smile:
It’s 170 not 0170

Stimmt, hat nichts mit APN zu tun. VoLTE war auch nicht aktiviert. Dann verstehe ich nicht, was nach dem Update passiert ist. Auf jeden Fall immer Probleme mit mobilem Internet und Telefonie nach einem Update.

True, has nothing to do with APN. VoLTE was not enabled either. Then I don’t understand what happened after the update. In any case, always problems with mobile internet and telephony after an update.

2 Likes

No problems so far, the only thing I notice is mobile data stays on 4G. I’ll update here when there’s a change.
On the other hand Wi-Fi selected 5 GHz straight away :+1:

Update: 5G ok after moving to a different cell (mast).

2 Likes

Happily waiting for the push notification, since it is not available for me in Sweden yet. I use as network provider Vimla!, which is a low-budget branch (no 5G) of Telenor.

1 Like

be more humble?

Incorrect, instead YOU wrote the number wrong.

“System update available”
“Software FP4G.A.0170 is available for your Fairphone 4”

is what “Settings → System → System update” is showing on my phone. I just typed that off the screen. So perhaps the programmers who wrote that onto my screen “wrote the number wrong”, lol.

2 Likes

You’re both right. In the update screen it showed this.

But on my phone after installation it says FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920

6 Likes

Took quite a while to install (mainly spent on optimizing, although the FP4 that Fairphone has lent me is more or less in factory reset state), but eventually the update went flawlessly.

@Blaffi Have you seen my e-mail?

1 Like

Hey @urs_lesse, I just checked again and couldn’t find anything from you in the last few days - sorry about that! Could you send it again? Will check right away

1 Like

I’ve just experienced a super-fast battery drain triggered by an incoming GSM phone call. You can see in the attached Battery Historian graph that I had 49% charge before the phone call, 23% after it (50 minutes), and 1% after another 3 hours of not using the phone. It can be seen a wakelock was being held for the whole 4 hours, and it is called “screen”.

This never happened to me before this update. Can anyone check if it is only my problem or someone else’s, too? I’ve already #contactsupport .

3 Likes

Hi

I was wondering what app you are uisng to gather and show that detail.

That’s the good old (but abandoned) GitHub - google/battery-historian: Battery Historian is a tool to analyze battery consumers using Android "bugreport" files. . It’s not easy to install, but once you get it running, it’s pretty useful.

With the current Android version on FP4, I have to run the logs through GitHub - BlackZheng/BatteryHistorianFixer: A python script that make your bugreport from Android Q to be accepted by Battery Historian. to get it working.

3 Likes

I have the same thing, I thought it was maybe too early to blame the update. But thanks for the info. I think my battery life is 1/3 less now, but need more testing.

anyone annoyed by mandatory screen effects and animations and transition effects or whatever they are called? If i am not completely wrong, I have had long ago disabled such effects on my android phone. I can onyl find like developer or debug settings that are somewhat named in similar wording. anyone have these annoying effects and know how to turn it off again? i dont think i ever wandered into debug and developer settings ever. anyone? thanks.