Software update: FP4.FP4G.A.170.20220920

I think you can turn them off in the Accessibility settings (Settings → Accessibility → Remove animations). I prefer to set them to .5x scale in the developer settings instead of completely disabling them though.

5 Likes

hey neat, thanks for the accessibility hint. found remove animations there. i guess i might have still used developer debug settings the last time. anyhow, my non-animated august 2022 fairphone4 was re-animated by the september 2022 android update :frowning: too bad when vendors decide to override user settings :frowning:
thanks again.

1 Like

Today I had a few calls and the battery drain problem did not show up. Let’s hope it stays like that =)

Same here, seems stable.

Hello everyone, I’m somehow new here… (bought one of the first fp1 years ago. Haven’t been happy then but I’ll give it another try now with the fp4)

Since the update, the MS onenote app doesn’t start anymore.
Tried to reset the memory and the cache, De- and reinstalled it and tried to use it with mobile or WiFi data.

Nothing helped so far.

Any other ideas?

Hi Ivo and welcome to the community forum :slightly_smiling_face:

After a quick look round, your issue may be related to authentication, others have seen problems since the last update. See here:

I would certainly recommend contacting official Fairphone Support [contactsupport ], they need to know there’s a problem.

1 Like

I have no idea why, but the update just showed up for me today. Usually I got it within days of the release. I changed my data connection from Congstar to Proximus, maybe that is the reason? :thinking:
(I’m still using the exactly same SIMs and operators, tough. The only change is really on which SIM I have my data connection enabled.)

Hi @mde, hope I understand your question.
The first post said:

So I think it’s surely the data provider changed the reason of the delay.

Yes as you have said, it’s in the explanantion in the beginning of the topic and that caveat has ‘always’ existed, so I’m surprised people still seems to have such a question in the way it is place here ??

Well, yes I know about that statement. But I did not change my “network provider” as I’m still using the exactly same SIMs. The only difference is which one I use for the data connection. So my observation was simply that it really depends on that data connection, apparently. At least for me that is news as the quoted statement left room for interpretation in a dual SIM scenario.

2 Likes

Using the same SIM is not relevant to the statement “some networks/carriers get it later”
Just because your SIM got it quickly before doesn’t mean it’s always going to be like that with that carrier etc.

It’s very relevant in this case, as one of the providers is congstar, which should / does usually get updated immediately. This update was available on day one as well.
(A family member of mine is running stock FPOS with 2 congstar SIMs and I’m tasked with performing OTA updates for them, never had to wait)

3 Likes

This next update is running a bit late, could it be that Android 12 is coming? And some more testing/development was needed? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Hopefully :crossed_fingers:

Updated firmware blobs for A12, yesss please :grinning:

2 Likes

I really wonder if they will release a public beta first or if they will just… Drop the full release right away?

There is a group of volunteers that get beta updates as far as I remember correctly. So there should be some real usage testing going on. But not in a public beta, I suppose. But I do hope they will properly test it. I already feel like an alpha tester sometimes :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Just a bit of a downer, but I am a Beta tester for A11 on the FP3 and things are often missed. It’s not like I’m going to spend 24/7 trying out every app and every feature and every attachment, that would take years.

I use the beta OTA to run my ‘daily driver’ and watch the forum and report any common issues or one’s I can emulate as well as anything I find.

There is no such thing as proper testing

4 Likes

But there is. You can setup a very sophisticated testing pipeline. That’s also why Google is able to release such stable and fast updates.

I have no idea what kind of pipeline FP has. But I think if the devs use their own work they would spot many things in the first 5 minutes, as we do after we installed an update.

And before you say “this is a small team”, “they are not Google” and things like that. I have testing pipelines myself at home. And these tools are open-source, so at no cost. Just have a look at the Fedora pipeline, they go pretty far. Even monkey testing of apps, such as OpenSUSE also applies.

I know, these are not Android systems. But I’m sure that Android is mature enough to have similar testing pipelines. There is no such thing as perfect testing, but proper testing for sure exists.

2 Likes

I guess @anon9989719 meant they aren’t doing proper testing …

… at least that’s how I read it :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe, I read it as that they do their best already according to @anon9989719 and pushing it further is not possible. Maybe I read it wrong, don’t know :slight_smile:

1 Like