Software Update: 3.A.0129.20210805 (unknown caller and zero brightness bugs)

Has anyone else has an issue with charging speed since the update?

It seems that my phone is much more likely to get stuck on slow charging since the update, though thankfully not always.

Same issue here.

Works fine when 4G is switched off. But no option since connection speed is reduced a lot.
Provider: vodafone
mobile: FairPhone 3

Any news on potential updates or hotfix?

Cheers!

Welcome to the community forum.

Not in the last 3.5 hours or so.

5 Likes

Hi,Just Drive through the netherlands. Here 4g works fine with Vodafone. But in Germany IT IS Always unkown ID.

2 Likes

I also have the same problem: since the Android update, my incoming calls are shown as ā€œunknownā€ (FP3, Vodafone).
Has anyone found a solution yet ?

Hi @KatharinaS Welcome to the forum. Please see the post two above your query.

Rae is the Fairphone employee that created this topic, so we are waiting to hear from Rae. The solution may take a while and it maybe a Vodafone issue.

1 Like

ā€œcurrently being investigatedā€ - my phone is quite useless since this bug. Please get back to the last Version and de-roll the Update. Otherwise I gonna use warranty and give back the phone.

3 Likes

Youre right! Please bring the phones back to the pre-update version and do the investigations later.
We need a working phone!

1 Like

Has anyone tried a factory reset, yet?

That may not be practical given that security updates are the main reason for the update, and the issues donā€™t stop the phone from being useful.

As Rae said it is deemed more an ā€˜inconvenienceā€™ than a serious problem.

Regarding sending the phone back, do you mean for repairs, hoping Fairphone will resolve it for you, or are you wanting a refund?

3 Likes

Which brings me to the question: As always this was a staged rollout. Would be interesting to know if:

• the rollout has been stopped when people reported the display-going-dark-issue.
  • the rollout has been stopped when people reported about the unknow-caller-bug.
  • the rollout has not been stopped at all.

Of course this will not change anything. But it would be interesting to know how Fairphone handles this incidents to protect their customers. Maybe @formerFP.Com.Manager could give some insight?

2 Likes

Yes I have done a complete factory reset (four or five times). But it was a stupid ideaā€¦
That solves nothing because the software is still 3.A.0129.20210805!
But now Iā€™m in trouble with all my baking apps!

Donā€™t do this!!!

4 Likes

This bug only seems to effect a small number of networks and clearly ā€˜Vodafoneā€™ in this case didnā€™t check it very well on all their carriers when when it was sent to them for approval, so they will no doubt give feedback to Fairphone as to any adjustments that can be made.

So the rollout wonā€™t be stopped for ā€˜Vodafoneā€™sā€™ caller ID issue as, many, maybe most networks donā€™t have this issue.

On the ambient light issue, it would seem itā€™s such a minor inconvenience in terms of the usability that again there would be little sense in stopping or rolling back the whole security update for such an issue.

3 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Software Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions

My company has also been hit. :frowning: We have over 20 Fairphones running with Vodafone Germany. I hope that a hotfix will be released soon. Because this cannot and must not be a permanent state. The only solution at the moment is to switch off 4G. Deactivating VoLTE has no effect. But what good is a smartphone without 4G? Well, letā€™s hope that the hotfix comes soon.

3 Likes

Please focus on the technical issues in this thread, thank youā€¦

2 Likes

Well Til is right though. Either you have an non working smart or a non working phone.

In no way shape or form is this acceptable.

We use these for work and payed a lot for them.

This has been reported for 4 days and the support can say nothing to this.

I submitted a Help Ticket and was asked to ask the seller for a Exchange for a New one with the same issue. Not funnyā€¦ Besides I bought it more than 30 days ago.

3 Likes

@amoun: Although my question was directed to Rae, thanks for your knowledge.

Please link to the source of this information! To avoid spreading rumors or wrong informations. Thank you.

For many people the unknown-caller-bug is more than just an ā€œinconvenienceā€. Especially when using the phone for business and on-call-service, where you sometimes have to differientiate between customers / company-internal / private calls before answering.

And donā€™t forget about DND mode, when you silence your phone at night, but important callers has to ring (elderly parents, company emergency, your pregnant sister, whatever). DND is not able to work without the caller ID and these important callers go silent.

This even could be dangerous - at least this is more than just an ā€œinconvenienceā€, depending on the way people use their phone.

5 Likes

Check the initial posting of rae in this thread, after ā€œPlease note:ā€

I guess then, it should be possible to temporarily switch to 2G at night.

The bug is known and Fairphone (maybe together with Vodafone) is working on it. So no use to mention it again and again and again. The solution is not coming faster.

4 Likes

The general route for updates is for Fairphone to send it to carriers so they can confirm it works, once Fairphone get confirmation it works it is then pushed out via those carriers who have accepted it as being viable, hence the delay that some carriers/network users experience.

.Together with our partners, we test the software before its release, and in some instances where a software update might result in some problems for users on a specific network or in a specific country, we prefer to delay the software release for that specific customer base and fix all the potential issues before making the software available to everyone.

1 Like