SD card problems although formatted as portable storage

Just tried the new FP4.FP3S.A.103.20220221 - the SD Card bug still exists. Inserted back again my old 32GB Card.
Will patiently wait for the next system update…

In fact, the problem is known for several weeks now and meanwhile we have got two updates. There must bei a reason for the delay :wink:

By the way: I would buy the FP4 again!

“Give Peace a Chance”

2 Likes

Just after my messages above, I received the update A.103, too.

The SD card seems to continue to work, but the music player app (MediaMonkey) repeatedly asks whether it should search the card for music. This normally happens only once after reboot or insertion of a new card. From the repeated question I conclude that the SD card is not mounted stably.

Give peace a chance!

1 Like

@F.Sowa Can you also tell me what you’ve tried to do other than insert the card? Have you attempted to format it? SD card configuration was changed in A.099 update and therefore it’s advised to do troubleshooting. Once you’ve attempted to format etc, if you still have an issue, let me know as per this

Tried the same tests like described on Feb. 15th with a SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 200GB. This time I additionally deleted the partition and let the FP4 format the card. Results were surprising and unpredictable: copying files via usb-cable to the card ended up with write errors, after using an adapter, copied files didn´t show up on the phone. Writing photos and videos with the stock camera app - meanwhile producing much better pictures than two updates before - sometimes created files with a size of 0 byte. After two hours I gave up, couldn´t see any systematic behaviour.
I should notice, that once after formating the card by the fp4 it wasn´t visible in the system any more. Needed external treatment afterwards with linux…
Anyway, somewhere here a statement was posted a couple of weeks ago, that the reason for the problem is known. I strongly recommend to fix this soon! SD cards should work right out of the box, especially when transfering data from an old phone to a new one.

1 Like

I updated to A.0103 yesterday and took the opportunity to test the SD card afterwards.

Formatting and configuring the card as portable storage seemed to work well with my 128 GB SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I A2. Although the progress bar only reached 20% again, I was able to access the card without any errors. It also appeared as “SD card by SanDisk” in the file explorer for the first time. Before I could hardly access any folder or file on the card and it showed up as “disk” which I’ve never seen before with other phones.

Moving my AntennaPod podcasts and Spotify music to the card went fine and it seems that both apps don’t have problems to access the files. I also haven’t seen any new error files popping up in /BugReport/shell.

However, moving my 20 GB or so of OsmAnd maps to the card didn’t work and gave me plenty of I/O errors together with new 0 B files in /BugReport/shell. As a result, the SD card seemed to hang up and was not visible in the storage settings anymore. It showed up as “unsupported” after a reboot but I could make it work again with another format. So, I don’t know if this is an OsmAnd issue (they had some with SD cards recently: https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues?q=sd+card) or if the map files reached some corrupted blocks on the SD card causing the errors.

For now, I’ll keep my maps on internal. Let’s see how my podcasts and music are doing on external in the next few days. Keep you posted. :ukraine:

1 Like

Bad news: AntennaPod just complained that it wasn’t able to access the podcasts on external anymore. I checked the file explorer: the SD card was still mounted but appeared to be totally empty. Ejected it and got a “corrupted” error right after. A guess, a reboot and another format will make the error vanish … until next time though. Tiring :roll_eyes:

@NoSpam I haven’t had an update on the case I raised, so I’ve just sent them a chaser. I’ll post and update when they respond.

1 Like

Same with my support ticket. I’m inclined to buy the Samsung Evo just to have my peace.

1 Like

@Zr4 have you tried this:

1 Like

I tried that earlier but not yet on A.0103 … Groundhog Day :chipmunk:

1 Like

Hi, I was wondering if my suggestion fixed it for you. It did work for me back then.

1 Like

FP4 256 GB with firmware A.103
SD card: SanDisk Ultra 200 GB

SD card doesn’t work.
Waiting impatiently for a fix.

This topic is about use as portable storage, but it seems you are saying the SD card doesn’t work at all?

If the latter is what you mean then have you seen

1 Like

Please be more verbose about what’s not working and what you tried to get it to work. Did you already try to format the SD card on a computer first to exFAT before you format it on your phone?

1 Like

I tried everything of the above. Please see my previous emails in this to thread. They were quite verbose.
I just reconfirmed that A.103 brought no improvement.

Ah okay! To make these connections easier it may be a good idea to either reply to your own message or leave a URL to that reply in your update. Otherwise it becomes hard to keep track of information.

3 Likes

Those two reports seem quite contradictory to me:

Is it working but you still have problems with MediaMonkey? :thinking:

If that’s the case this might be a MediaMonkey and not a Fairphone problem…

1 Like

Doesn’t sound contradictory to me. My impression after the A.0103 update was that the card seems to work at first and I/O errors only manifest after a couple of days and start with specific apps. See also my earlier posts (#98 and #99).

I bought a Samsung Evo now which has worked out of the box and without any major issues for the last three days … with OsmAnd maps on external. So, at least for me it doesn’t seem to be app-related.

I’ll check on my SanDisk card again after formatting to exFAT using my Linux machine in a couple of days, I guess. For now, I’m just happy that everything works with the Samsung Evo and I haven’t been overly motivated to fiddle with it once more.

1 Like

I can confirm that the status “got the SD working for a short while after exprimenting for hours with formatting with different options in the phone and also on the PC, rebooting the phone etc.” as well as the status “SD card is not usable” always is related to the status shown under “Settings/Storage”.

Any arbitrary app being able to access the SD card or not being able to do so in any case matches the status shown under “Settings/Storage”.

So, from my observations, the issue is not related to any app, neither my MediaMonkey app nor OSMand nor the stock files app nor the TotalCommander app (which I all use, too).

All of these apps work perfectly fine with the same SD card on my previous phone.

Hence, I can only conclude that the issue is related to FP4, either the OS, the firmware of the SD card device or (this would be the worst case) the hardware of the SD card device or its integration into the phone.

FP Support are telling me it was fixed on Feb 4th in v.099. The phones are running FP4.FP3S.A.103.20220221. However, I don’t have a spare SD card to test with.

Looking at the comments from others, there is still an issue even running FP4.FP3S.A.103.20220221. I’m not seeing an issue since I replaced the Sandisks with Samsung EVOs.

3 Likes