SD card problems although formatted as portable storage

Total Commander is a nice tool, but shows only the files that other tools see, not a single one more…

Ugh. Honestly I doubt that it’s an issue related to SD-card brand!
FP4
[SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC]
bought, no extra formatting, uploades stuff on PC (Music, Fotos, Stuff), put into FP4 as external memory.

All files are readable via TotalCommander and other apps.
I first found out that here-we-go didn’t recognise SD-card. After reinstalling the app I could choose SD-Card as target for maps.
After reading this topic I checked if there were files downloaded to the SD-Card: nope!
TC sometimes doesn’t show folders in “android” on SD-card where - afaik - data should be placed.

By the way: cameras are able to write to the SD-Card.
(I tried out OpenCam, SnapCam and the Cam which came with the OS. ).

If I recognise issues I will report. Fingers crossed that this is a OS-problem which will be solved soon…

1 Like

Probably a bit early to share experience with different brands/cards i guess…

Is there a tool to check a) internal read-/write performance on SD-card used in the FP4?

Is there a tool to check general performance of SD-card used in FP4 (instead of trying out apps and not knowing if they work properly or poorly…)

From what I’ve read if you format a card in the FP4 it may provide some info. If you have a spare card you could try that.

I had write- and read speed in mind. I wonder if the sd-card slot offers enough bandwidth for ultra fast (and expensive) cards. I doubt that…

1 Like

The slot is stated to comply with the SD3.0 specifications.
The quickest card I could find so far is the Delkin Devices 64GB Power microSDXC UHS-II (V90) (DDMSDG200064). I assume it surely would be underutilized for any use in the FP4 unless its purpose was just for being quickly filled for keeping data.

My last test with a VERBATIM Pro+, 32 GB, Class 10 MicroSDHC Card went flawless for every HQ camera action the FP4 can do like time lapse at 30FPS, 4k 30FPS, 1k 60FPS or High Pixel images (didn’t test picture series). External tests with a USB3 single slot drive gave a 87/91MB/s performance ratio. Copying a ~2GB file to the card via MTP using Linux Mint Nemo showed a data rate in a range between ~37MB/s up to ~70MB/s. Reading back data from it to the computer moved in a range between ~42 up to ~64MB/s. Sure some caching is in action here.
I was a bit surprised doing the same transfer into the internal storage showing up with a data rate of ~140MB/s. Reading back surprised me even more going up to ~188MB/s.
For me all these values are acceptable after all using the 8/256GB FP4 Model.

The quickest 1TB card I could find seems to be the SanDisk SDSQXCZ-1T00-GN6MA which also just writes with ~90MB/s. This would take quite some time to fill it anyway even if the SD slot interface could do more.

1 Like

I guess I jinxed it by posting this here. After a few weeks, the card started to cause issues. Basically whenever there is significant I/O with the card, it stops working after a short while.
It’s back after a reboot.

1 Like

I’ve finally had an update from FP Support (other than factory reset) on the case I raised:

We have recently become aware of a software issue which makes it impossible to use most SD cards. Our developers have found the root cause of the issue and a fix will be available via a software update in the near future.
I can not give you a specific release date yet, but it should be before the end of February.
The path to a fairer electronics industry has its fair share of obstacles, and we appreciate your continued support and patience while we work on this matter.
I will put this ticket on hold for now and let you know once the software update is released.

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing the good news!

Thank you for sharing, that’s good news!

Still running with this card without data corruption.
So if you can’t wait for the software update …

3 Likes

I’ve been told that the latest A.099 update (FP4.FP3R.A.099.20220112) has a fix for SD cards.

I’m going to test for the Fairphone team, but if there is anyone else in this thread that wants to give it another go :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Tried a SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 200GB after update to A.099: didn´t work, neither after formatting by phone nor by Linux system and (after exceptionally booting :wink:) Win10. Still looking forward to the next update…

2 Likes

And again … nothing mentioned in the change logs :see_no_evil:

Sure thing! Did they provide any specifics on how to proceed? Is it supposed to work out of the box or are we required to reformat the card?

So it would be trying to reformat the card as external storage. The original issue was that it would say it was formatted and then wasn’t recognised by the system.

@F.Sowa - thanks for the info :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same issue using FP4 with SanDisk Ultra 200 GB.
No solution yet, SD card doesn’t work.

I had some strange things going on today: I was using my phone for navigation and it suddenly rebooted out of the blue. I realized later that it got quite warm so close to the car heating. Interestingly though, the SD card setup started after the reboot and I was able to format it without any errors.

Maybe worth mentioning that the reboot was not associated with any OTA update going on without me triggering it. I’m still on A.099 and was so before the reboot.

Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Well, I’ve got my FP4 three ays now and it frequently crashed and rebootet.
During installation of the apps etc. it got quite warm, so it might have problems with its thermal design.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Is this latest post related to the sd card?
Regarding the crashing and rebooting, which is all you mentioned alongside the ‘installing apps’ did you try removing the sd card and installing the same apps to check the temperature?

1 Like

No, sorry, the crashing and rebooting most probably is not relate to the SD card. More likely it is related to thermal issues of the device.
Please apologize the off-topic post. I am a bit frustrated with my brand new FP4…