I’ve had a FP3 since launch, running LOS 18.1 on it, has been smooth sailing until a few weeks ago (no idea if it coincided with an update) when I was greeted with a „Problems with SD card, tab to fix“ notification.
Made a backup, formtatted the card via the system dialogue, same message a few days later. It says the card is corrupted in settings, seems to be working fine when mounting on a PC.
I’m always using the SD cards as external storage
Original SD card was working perfectly for years, was a Sandisk Ultra 64gb
New SD card is a 128gb Samsung Evo Plus
Tried formatting them with a PC as FAT32 and exFAT, no luck (haven’t tried Ext4 with Linux yet)
Haven’t really tried to clean the SD card slot (how would I do that?) but it looks fine
Any ideas what might be the issue/what I could try?
Have you thoroughly ruled out that the SD card itself is actually broken? Formatting might make it look for a while as if there’s nothing wrong - until the broken cells are used again. I had a similar corruption issue with an SD card a while back.
One tool you can use on Windows to test would be this one: H2testw | heise Download
In general: Don’t expect too much of (micro)SD cards. The question is not if they break but only when…
Yeah, I thought about that as well I think but that’s highly unlikely at this point. I forgot to mention that I found another SD card in a Raspberry (64gb, I think?) and tried that and it got „corrupted“ as well. I’m pretty sure this is either a software problem or a problem with the SD card slot … +__+
I got a quite similiar problem with my SD card in my FP3.
Every around half a year I get a notice from my phone: “SD card not formatted. Do you want to format it now?” or something like that.
And then no matter what, the phone won´t recognize any data from the SD card until I have formated it and put the data on the card again.
Yes, my card is formated as external.
Right now I´m waiting for the next time the card will be corrupted. By the way: I´m using /e/.
Not exactly related to this, I have the problem with missing writing rights on the card. I can´t change this neither with the Ghost Commander (I have activated the check for the root privilegues in the Ghost Commander settings), nor with the build in file browser. And for a while OSMAND gives me I/O errors when trying to update the maps (saved on the SD).
Yeah, I’m trying to use the card(s) as portable storage as well, I’m aware of the fact that extenting the storage with an sd-card can lead to all kinds of problems (though it would be super sexy not having to copy stuff between disks).
I got the latest stable version of /e/ version Q (Android 10). I was waiting for the Android 11 stable, hoping this solves the problem.
I´m trying that workaround now. The app is now copying the files to the new folder - which is strange since in the end it´s the same one, just picked manually. It shows me one file (map) after another but always on 0% progress (I hope this is just a little bug in the progress bar.).
I´ll give an update when it´s finished.
I get the updates for the maps now, but strangely for the live update it still gives me an I/O.
I need to try if the GPS does work in OSMAND again (number of visible satelites stays on zero, even if I can see at least on satelite with a GPS check app).
I was able to update all normal maps, but the live update still gives an I/O.
The GPS still seems to be not working, but it did before the last small update on /e/, so this might be related to the OS or to Osmand itself.
There is still the option for reinstalling the Osmand but I need to make a backup of the Osmand files first. This is difficult, since because of the missing writing rights, I can´t just copy the files on the SD card.
I´ll make a backup from SD to my computer tomorrow and try to reinstall Osmand.
But as always:
If you have one problem and are searching for a solution, you´ll stumble at least over three other problems, which you need to fix before you can start fixing the first problem…