SD card problems although formatted as portable storage

That’s a very general term. If you think you have such issues. You may be able to confirm with a reset etc.

I suggest you open a new tropic ‘Possible thermal issues’. so that a possible relationship to the phone, or the OS or a custom app installation can be assessed.

All the best

1 Like

End of February is now in the past. Does anyone know when the update will be released?

1 Like

I’m surprised you asked here as the news you received was was the ‘official Fairphone’ are you reluctant to query them again :slight_smile:

Do you have the A.099 or greater update? I’ve not yet been able to test as I need to get data off my card first before I try formatting again

After I sent this I realised I’m not doing anything right now, so I transferred the data out and reformatted. I no longer encounter the ‘not supported’ issue.

I’m using a SANDISK Ultra Class 10 microSDXC Memory Card (200 GB).

Anyone in this thread that’s still experiencing issues, make sure you’ve updated to A.099 update (FP4.FP3R.A.099.20220112) or higher.

If you’re still experiencing issues after the latest updates, ping me a message with the exact issue and the make/model/size of your SD card and I’ll flag this up with the FP team.

2 Likes

Alright, I just tried it - and failed again.
No luck.

FP4 256 GB with firmware A.099 (Checked for updates → none available)
SD card: SanDisk Ultra 200 GB (worked perfectly on my Samsumg S8 phone, but I formatted it recently to make it work with FP4)

1. Went to “storage”, it says SD card “not supported”.
  2. Tried to set it up as “external memory” → formatting starts, proceeds up to 40% (not 20%!) and terminates
  3. Next “storage” says “checking”, after ~2 mins, the FP4 crashes → reboot initiated but hangs with the circling bue bubbles on black background
  4. Finally, I restarted the phone by removing and re-inserting the battery.
  5. Back to start: “storage” displays “not supported”

Bizarre as it sounds like you’ve got the same or very similar card to me. What’s the speed & class of your card?

Could you try formatting as internal storage and then try doing as external again just to see if that makes any difference?

I reformatted as “internal storage”, it proceeded up to 60%, then terminated.
However, something seemed to be working.

Next, I rebooted the FP4 to see if the situation is somehow stable – which it isn’t.
After the reboot, I am getting a notification “SD card by SanDisk is missing”.
Settings/storage displays 2 (!!!) SD cards. one is busy, the other one is not inserted (“nicht eingelegt”).

I’ll wait another 5 mins to see if the “busy” state turns to something reasonable.

Ok, that’s particularly bizarre!

Do you have access to another device to reformat and try it again?

The state remain across another reboot.
SD card remains unusable as internal storage.

Okay, now reformatted as “external memory”.
Seems to have succeeded, I have now one missing SD card (probably the “internal” one) and one which has been mounted.
I can see a few files on the second one.

Next, it becomes even more weird.
I rebooted again to see if the state is stable.
In “files” app, I can see the SD card and the files on it.
Settings/storage shows two SD cards, one that is missing and another one that is mounted.
There are 2 (!) notification, one asking for a missing SD card and another one requesting to format (!) the inserted SD card.

Next reboot, no more notifications.
Settings/storage still shows two SD cards, one missing and one mounted.
“files” app shows the SD card and the files on it.
I can write files to it.

Yes you can only have 1 SD card so if you have it as portable it is reported as missing from internal.

Google want people to use internal as it is encrypted and hence the first option offered.

Okay, thank you very much for this information.
My screen looked the same as your screenshot shows.

I have successfully removed the “internal” entry and am now able to use the SD card.
Let’s see how long this will be stable…

Quite an odyssee to get here.

2 Likes

Just tried the new FP4.FP3S.A.103.20220221 - the SD Card bug still exists. Inserted back again my old 32GB Card.
Will patiently wait for the next system update…

In fact, the problem is known for several weeks now and meanwhile we have got two updates. There must bei a reason for the delay :wink:

By the way: I would buy the FP4 again!

“Give Peace a Chance”

2 Likes

Just after my messages above, I received the update A.103, too.

The SD card seems to continue to work, but the music player app (MediaMonkey) repeatedly asks whether it should search the card for music. This normally happens only once after reboot or insertion of a new card. From the repeated question I conclude that the SD card is not mounted stably.

Give peace a chance!

1 Like

@F.Sowa Can you also tell me what you’ve tried to do other than insert the card? Have you attempted to format it? SD card configuration was changed in A.099 update and therefore it’s advised to do troubleshooting. Once you’ve attempted to format etc, if you still have an issue, let me know as per this

Tried the same tests like described on Feb. 15th with a SanDisk Ultra microSDXC 200GB. This time I additionally deleted the partition and let the FP4 format the card. Results were surprising and unpredictable: copying files via usb-cable to the card ended up with write errors, after using an adapter, copied files didn´t show up on the phone. Writing photos and videos with the stock camera app - meanwhile producing much better pictures than two updates before - sometimes created files with a size of 0 byte. After two hours I gave up, couldn´t see any systematic behaviour.
I should notice, that once after formating the card by the fp4 it wasn´t visible in the system any more. Needed external treatment afterwards with linux…
Anyway, somewhere here a statement was posted a couple of weeks ago, that the reason for the problem is known. I strongly recommend to fix this soon! SD cards should work right out of the box, especially when transfering data from an old phone to a new one.

1 Like

I updated to A.0103 yesterday and took the opportunity to test the SD card afterwards.

Formatting and configuring the card as portable storage seemed to work well with my 128 GB SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I A2. Although the progress bar only reached 20% again, I was able to access the card without any errors. It also appeared as “SD card by SanDisk” in the file explorer for the first time. Before I could hardly access any folder or file on the card and it showed up as “disk” which I’ve never seen before with other phones.

Moving my AntennaPod podcasts and Spotify music to the card went fine and it seems that both apps don’t have problems to access the files. I also haven’t seen any new error files popping up in /BugReport/shell.

However, moving my 20 GB or so of OsmAnd maps to the card didn’t work and gave me plenty of I/O errors together with new 0 B files in /BugReport/shell. As a result, the SD card seemed to hang up and was not visible in the storage settings anymore. It showed up as “unsupported” after a reboot but I could make it work again with another format. So, I don’t know if this is an OsmAnd issue (they had some with SD cards recently: https://github.com/osmandapp/OsmAnd/issues?q=sd+card) or if the map files reached some corrupted blocks on the SD card causing the errors.

For now, I’ll keep my maps on internal. Let’s see how my podcasts and music are doing on external in the next few days. Keep you posted. :ukraine:

1 Like

Bad news: AntennaPod just complained that it wasn’t able to access the podcasts on external anymore. I checked the file explorer: the SD card was still mounted but appeared to be totally empty. Ejected it and got a “corrupted” error right after. A guess, a reboot and another format will make the error vanish … until next time though. Tiring :roll_eyes:

@NoSpam I haven’t had an update on the case I raised, so I’ve just sent them a chaser. I’ll post and update when they respond.

1 Like