Replacing Headphone socket FP1U

The headphone socket on my FP1U has gone a bit dodgy (bad connection or only one speaker - jiggling of cable is required), As I use the phone as an audio player during music teaching this is quite an important function, and I don’t always have a Bluetooth device available.

I’ve looked at the other forum posts (Replace FP1 / FP1U headphone jack, and What is the exact model number of the Female Jack connector (headphone connector)?) both of which suggest that I can do one of the following:

• Replace the main motherboard OR
  • Desolder the existing headphone jack and re-solder a ‘similar’ part (Advanced users only)

The second option is a bit daunting, specifically as it’s meant to be a phone that ‘you can fix yourself’. One poster says he broke his audio speakers entirely attempting it, another says that he managed it but he’s a pro at soldering.

I’ve looked at the 1st option, but the mainboard available in the fairphone shop is
a) Out of stock and
b) only compatible with FP1 (not FP1U).
http://shop.fairphone.com/spareparts/motherboard.html

Fairphone Team and Users - how can I fix my Fairphone headphone socket? What is the recommended solution here? I’d consider the mainboard replacement but this isn’t even an option for the FP1U, and it’s out of stock, and it costs more than the display assembly (which I’ve already replaced once). Hrumph.

Try this one instead: http://shop.fairphone.com/spareparts/motherboard-1.html

By the way: the FP1 motherboard will likely not be produced any more, as the FP1U motherboard works in the FP1 (but, as you mention, not the other way around), see here:

Other than that, you could have a chat with a local repair shop - if they have soldering pros they may want to try - though likely at your own risk. The topics you mention may give them a better idea of whether they will be able to manage.

You do not need to be a pro at soldering to repair this !
It really is not that hard. you need a steady hand a a decent soldering iron.

the real hard part is to find a replacement for the connector online !

But you may not even need one, if it is only a bad connection to the motherboard then you just have the resolder it.

just my 2 cents, I’m not a pro at soldering, but I’ve made soldering repairs on my Fairphone, fairly successfully.

This topic that might give you some inspiration.