Random Screen dimming (while brightness slider stays at 100%) after A12 update

Sure I saw this post which is from June 14th. The thread was started begin of Feb though. Hence my question, since when you are sure about FP working on this. And even if now they are working on it I strongly doubt that they are working 8 hours a day with 3 people on it. This would approximately be the priority my company would put to such important bugs.

3 Likes

Luke, I am so happy that customers like you work on this topic. However it is ridiculous that nice people like you apparently have to do the job of the FP employees. I hope that the new FP-CEO will establish a different company philosophy…

4 Likes

CalyxOS like other custom roms still include the vendor specific parts and firmware. So they always have to wait for the vendor to include firmware patches and then roll them out with their own OTA uodates. So, once fairphone puts out a patched firmware, it will be included in the next CalyxOS update, which is usually the same day.

1 Like

Good info. Thanks!

Hi there,
Basically, I am happy with my fp4.
Though:
For some months, now, the screen would dim to lowest brightness when exposed to daylight or sun. Out of the blue, and not allways immediately after exposure. Simply not readable, at all.
The brightness setting is on 100%, though, and the automatic dimming off.
The extra dimming mode is set off, as well.
Anybody in this forum who experience similar challenges?

Hi and welcome, just read above.

2 Likes

@anon64862762 , thanks for an update, still waiting.

@all: sorry for such posts but I would try to use this forum to apply more pressure on fairphone.

2 Likes

As generally Fairphone don’t read these topic and posts, the pressure is largely upon the users who try to keep in touch to help. It’s not pleasant to see this sort of thing.

The better course is always to contact support officially and then point them to any topic that helps confirm your concern. Then Fairphone will check the topic and may
join the discussion, which is probably what happened here.

There is no point in just complaining on the forum unless it’s for emotional support

One of the all

:om:

I do believe that Fairphone cares when rows and rows of people complain here. This also deters future customers when they see that major bugs that have been known for months are still not fixed. That’s why one can only warn against buying a Fairphone at the moment. And I am still lucky that I am not affected by ghost inputs (so far). But the random dimming issue alone is intolerable.

5 Likes

But they don’t read here unless prompted to by an official support request.

The only instances that don’t need prompting by a support request will be when they create their own topics, for update notifications etc.

So complaints about issues with updates should go their and maybe links therein to specific topics, which may be the case with this topic.

That has happened in my case with FP3 issues, i.e. actively direct fairphone to specific topics on their topics, where they may engage.

fully agree with @Dubbeglas . Maybe @anon9989719 can explain whether FP puts an sentence like “dont read anything in our own user forum!!” into the job description of their social media manager.

4 Likes

@all off topic, please back to the topic.
If one wants to ping FP they are free to do so, the person itself would have to prevent this, we dont know what they do or not do.

2 Likes

As said off topic, so my last word on this, in this topic, is a quote

This topic is not a ‘software update’ but a user generated compliant. As yvmuell said, " we dont know what they do or not do."

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Communicating with the users

i am not sure about this. But anyhow, we have tried it relatively friendly for more than 5 month (!) which didnt make them act anywhere close to acceptably quick. so increasing the pressure is adequate i guess. The alternative would be to return my phone and go back to Samsung etc. and telling everybody to NOT buy a fairphone - I feel sad thinking about this option. But it’s not fair at all to abuse the kindness and tolerance of the idealistic user community, thats whats happening here.

6 Likes

If anyone want to discuss Fairphones communication policy or reaction on complains further do it in the other topic that isnt at all helpful to solve this issue.

3 Likes

My apologies.

Quick tip: if you use NewPipe to watch YoiuTube videos (you should…) and your display suddenly goes dark ala FairPhone 4 bug when you flip the phone, be aware that NewPipe has separate brightness settings for portrait and landscape modes. Not the FairPhone’s fault this time :slight_smile:

Just received info from fp helpdesk on my ticket:

I can assure you that our quality, product and technical teams are fully aware of the suggestions made on the forum.
Currently, the experts in our Software Team are investigating the issue and are liaising with the manufacturer to find the quickest possible solution. I appreciate your patience and cooperation so far.

10 Likes

How long are they going to investigate the cause of the problem? Also a way of saying they have no idea so far.
They should have tested properly before rolling out the update. I can’t imagine that no one noticed it, since only a few minutes in a bright environment are enough.
I’m starting to feel really screwed as a customer.

3 Likes