Random Screen dimming (while brightness slider stays at 100%) after A12 update

As someone who lives near the arctic circle, I’m thankfully qiute unaffected, as the summer rarely gets hot for more than 5 minutes here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Communicating with the users

Yep, same problem here.
This should have been solved months ago. Fairphone really needs to up their game in their software support for both bugs, security and Android updates.

3 Likes

As a customer and affected person I agree that it should be solved as fast as possible.
But heaving read all the posts above I’m quite sure it must be solved by a firmware vendor fix and assume this is one of the reasons FP couldn’t deliver a solution quickly.

5 Likes

Maybe, but thats no excuse att all. I would assume that most if not all smartphone manufacturer have issues with vendor firmware, but they assure that they are fixed within reasonable time. Fairphone have been around for a while now and it’s their 4 phone so these problems shouldn’t exist.

Excuses are like buttholes, everybodys got em.

3 Likes

Firms like Apple or Samsung can kind of force a third party manufacturer to solve a problem, Fairphone I guess ist allowed to ask.

2 Likes

@ all again off topic.

1 Like

thanks @DonFnord

2 Likes

Fortunately, it is known that Fairphone does not read the C’t, just like the forum.
If C’t had contacted support, they might have been helped :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yesterday I installed the June update (Build FP4.SP2G.B079.20230624). I can confirm that the issue has NOT yet been resolved in this update.

Yes it wasn’t on the list of changes.

1 Like

it’s ridiculous, isn’t it? As I promised before: this issue will rather be solved because summer is ending before FP is fixing it.

one could also say it’s questionable whether a company will survive for long ignoring their customers like FP does.

2 Likes

I made some search on the web and it seems is an issue also for other smartphones.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/146uw12/pixel_7_pro_screen_dimming_wont_go_back_up_even/

https://forums.androidcentral.com/threads/screen-dims-when-phone-gets-warm.1041230/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/about-heat-issue-and-screen-dim.4484153/

Just three examples, but there are other threads on Reddit and XDA

8 Likes

thabks for the info. I read a couple of those and it really seems that lots of different phones of different manufacturers are affected by a similar issue. But then again, not all of the same model line. It’s wierd.

1 Like

Well getting that kind of coverage is rock bottom, so … sad really, but understandable. For those who don’t have access or don’t understand german, here a really short summary.

Customer contacts support after a few weeks of buying the phone. Fairphone acknowledges the problem and guarantees experts are working on it (similar to what we already read in this thread). After weeks customer complains that nothing is done. Again, fairphone stalls. Customer checks forum and realizes that many others have the problem. Customer sets deadline to fix the issue, else wants a refund. Fairphone stalls, makes excuses, refuses refund. But in the end fairphone recognises the customers right to return the product, sends a refund and a 100€ voucher.

The authors close by stating that a customer always has the right to return a faulty product within the warranty time when the manufacturer fails to eliminate the fault and acknowledges that fairphone in the end redeemed their wrong behavior.

4 Likes

I have a technical question for those in the know for a change:

Why does the screen’s backlight or brightness need to be throttled when the device gets hot anyway? Does it hurt the display or reduce its useful life significantly? Are LCD and AMOLED technologies impacted? I’m not familiar with the shortcomings of AMOLED, but I’ve never heard of such a thing with LCD. Or is it to prevent the screen from contributing to the device’s already excessive temperature?

Also, shouldn’t it be up to the user to decide whether they want to keep the screen going at full pelt a the cost of burning out the phone or the display, or let the brightness drop for safety? As in an “Auto screen safety brightess control” checkbox in the developers settings that the user can disable or something.

It seems a bit cavalier of the OS or driver to impose this choice on the user: it is conceivable that the user absolutely needs to see the display even if the device will die in a couple of hours if they keep going, like if they absolutely need GPS guidance after leaving the phone on the dash all day. With ths auto-dimming feature, even if it worked properly in the FP4, the device basically refuses to work at full spec even if it could if the user so chose.

I for one would prefer the feature disabled altogether, with a big fat warning I can dismiss that I says I may hurt my device. In the case of the FP4, what do I care? I can fix it later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Absolutely weired.
At least the bluetooth Bug was fixed. I can connect now with the boom boom box.

1 Like

It doesn’t normally, to this degree. It seems as thought a sensor hasn’t been set properly and is being looked at.

Otherwise it is to draw less power to cool the battery etc.

I think it’s just this. A thermal configuration to prevent damage to other components. Probably the battery is the most impacted one.
AMOLED or not, at full brightness the display generate some heat.

The threshold can be raised up to some degree, like I stupidly said in another post, as a solution.
But thinking like an hardware engineer (and I’m not) or manufacturer, there are implications to be considered, and I didn’t at first.

Like you raise the threshold by some degree, let’s say 47C° for the sensor related to this issue.
What happens next? Is it safe for the battery and the user? It will damage or degrade faster other components? It will increase the temperature of some other sensors and then also the CPU or GPU is throttling?

I think the team is taking time for these reasons.

What happens if a battery explode due to high temperature caused by the raised threshold?
Probably connecting with all the hardware component manufacturers, to get safe values, is taking some time.

For the same reason I think it’s not safe to let the user choose this type of configuration. Of course you can root and add the config, but at your own risk.

Talking with some developer teammates it seems they encountered this issue also in a Pixel 7, 6 pro, OnePlus 9 pro and a Samsung S22.

On Reddit and other forums you can find other users with this issue, for various brands.

6 Likes

Safety, yes. I didn’t think about that.
Thanks!