Communicating with the users

Regularly :slight_smile:

When I ran a support team, we supported big customers with different support level contracts. Some had premium contracts that required us to respond within 1 hour and come up with a fix in 6 hours. We literally updated them every 30 minutes, even just to say “we’re on it”.

The lowest level contract required a reply within 3 hours and a fix within 3 days. We updated them every day.

It’s human psychology: people like to know their stuff is being worked on. It’s supremely important for customer satisfaction. The one thing that’s guaranteed to hurt customer satisfaction is lack of communication: people hate companies that don’t talk to them, or talk to them only when asked. Even if the talking is done by a cron job sending an automated email at a fixed time, that’s enough for people to think “Nice! These guys aren’t forgetting me,”

In this case, Fairphone is dealing with issues that affect everybody (bugs) not individual cases. What I would do is simply maintain a list of open bugs and have someone update the status every week. You know, a simple text file with entries like “This-or-that bug: under investigation, likely cause Acme driver - Jul 10, 2023”.

Every week, I’d go around in the Monday meeting and update the text file (with an actual update, not just changing the dates, else people will notice and get mad :slight_smile:). It really shouldn’t take more than a minute per line, and probably less than that.

4 Likes

Until they find the solution

You clearly haven’t read much, they know it’s a heat sensor that is initiating the screen shut down.

What they should or should not do is no ones else’s domain

Yeap there’s no doubt a few customers who feel the same.

Lol why are you constantly defending their inability?
It’s really a shame how Fairphone treats their customers, but there are still people who defend them for whatever reason.

7 Likes

I’m willing to cut a lot of slack to any company, all too rare these days, that goes against the anti-right-to-repair tidalwave and the fascist Google surveillance society. I personally believe both fights have long been lost already, but the few who still resist get a free pass from me.

Maybe I’m too nice…

2 Likes

And this specific topic is about “Communicating with the users”. If you don’t want to discuss this, then just ignore this topic. And yes, one can also discuss how Fairphone may improve communication with their customers. If you believe it makes no sense to discuss that here because Fairphone will not have a look into discussion here anway than all discussions here are completeley useless since users will not build new devices and mobile device manufacturers will likely never read the discussions here anyway.

3 Likes

Where was this documented? I only found speculations in the forum that overheating may be a reason for the screen getting dimmed to cool down the device - but no definitive statetment by Fairphone. Or did I miss anything?

Again a good reason to have a kind of public bugtracker where this could be found easily and not by searching the whole user forum.

Thanks, you’re so right!

just a bit unrealistic if not in business-business context. There is always a big difference in support to normal privat 1 man customer compared to business customer. Not saying this is how I would whish it to be, still its how it is.

hidden as the solution tag was removed/not wanted by OP, as it is not real solution, however so no-one will find joining the party late

Well - this would be perfect example for a bugtracker to let people know that Fairphone is aware of this issue and what possible solutions may be implemented in the future.

3 Likes

in a nutshell

What ever they come up with, its never enough, there is always “yes, but I want…”

Be it an explanation of the job description of the community moderator or a way to try to be more transparent (and yes there I also put some critics) or whatever. so somehow a game you can never win.

1 Like

dont worry, most people only want a smartphone which is working without serious flaws. and this is all I have ever asked for here.

8 Likes

This times a hundred. The camera bug is slowly breaking me at this point.

My only “I also want…” is that I want the ability to set the max battery to 80%. That is all.

1 Like

I discovered you can do that with the latest CalyxOS. That implies installing CalyxOS though, something you might not want to do.

I need Google Pay in my life, unfortunately. At least until I buy a Garmin watch

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but I assume Google Pay doesn’t work in anything but the full blown Google spyware stack, and certainly not with MicroG, right?

I pay with an NFC implant, so I never need a cellphone (or a wallet). But infrequently I use iCard pay, which works pretty much exactly like Google pay, only it’s not Google, and the iCard client works fine in CalyxOS.

NFC implant? You mean an implant in your hand or something?

1 Like

Correct.

Well - the NFC implant is just like a credit or debit card with NFC and may be less secure than using a smartphone as it can be read always while a smartphone needs at least an active display and above a certain limit also an unlocked device.

Edit: does iCard require a locked bootloader to provide payment via NFC?

Exactly:

It looks like this:

(Sorry, off-topic…)

Nah. The range is much too short and it only couples in certain positions. Unless I was unconscious or asleep, you couldn’t sneak up on me and ring up a sale on a POS terminal without me seeing you coming from a mile away.

Nope. I have a Nokia 4.2 with the bootloader unlocked (I haven’t flashed anything on it in the end, because the ROM looked fishy, but I left the bootloader unlocked just in case) and it’s perfectly happy to run iCard.

1 Like

I’ve seen videos where a guy managed to use mobile Sumup terminals to charge money without the people noticing it. In a crowded situation one may not always be aware of such things, even if they may not be very likely.