Official LineageOS 17.1 for Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+

mon ordinateur traduit tout automatiquement , google translate automatiquement

C’est bien pour vous, mais n’imposez pas cela aux autres :wink: .

je ne dis pas cela pour vous informer mais en quelle langue dois je poster ? en anglais ? je m en excuse

This topic here is in English, but as I said we usually go by the language used in the first post of a topic. Non-English topics have a language tag, like French ones for example …

https://forum.fairphone.com/tag/%F0%9F%87%AB%F0%9F%87%B7

You’ll find topics tagged with more than one language, too, these are multilingual then.

3 Likes

Want to thank the developers of the official Lineage ROM! Installation was smooth and I’ve been running the OS for the last two weeks without any problems. I had to change bootslots (fastboot --set-active=b && fastboot flash boot_b boot.img) and after that installation was a breeze. The first update came in last week and installed without issues. Been running without Gapps as well.

For others, I created a Whatsapp backup on my old phone, but restoring it is pain without a Google account. So I’ve documented it before (2 years ago) and used almost the same procedure this time (step 4 is manual this time) after installing WhatsApp:

1. Problem: restore fails, the file date is 1970 and WhatsApp reports the size as 0kb
  2. Manually create the directory: Internal shared storage/WhatsApp/Databases/
  3. Place only two files in this directory, replace * with 12 or the number depending on your files/version
    msgstore.db.crypt*
    msgstore-2021-01-01.1.db.crypt* (the newest backup file)
  4. Give Whatsapp permission to access contacts and media. On my previous Phone Whatsapp asked permission, this time I had to manually give permission through the Android settings because WhatsApp didn’t ask anything after running it.

Once again, thank you @dk1978 for all the effort!

I’ve been using LOS 17.1 for microG since it got available (around the 10th of january).
So far it’s very stable :smiley:

There are a few issues I wanted to share (although the first one is related to Magisk/rooting):

• When FP3 is rooted, sometimes while using calling function, either with Signal/WhatsApp or if you’re trying to call someone directly after that over the normal cellular network, the whole OS is crashing. The display goes black and I always have to force it to boot into bootloader (Power button + Vol. down button) to start the OS from there.
    Until now, this behaviour never occured without root.

• One issue that was already mentioned here is the Night Light that doesn’t work for me either.

• If VoLTE is activated, I still can’t see the name/number of the caller (“Unknown number/caller”). This issue exists since I upgraded my FP3 to Android 10 (original OS) but seems to be solved in the meantime or at least no occuring that much since the 0066 update.

This issue and some ghost touches that are occuring lately (which seem to be fixed with the latest 0077 update) leads me to the question wheter you’re planning to integrate those (i guess) firmware files or not? Or do we have to patch them seperately?

1 Like

Would it be possible, @dk1978 , to add the/proc/last_kmsg “feature”? Probably would be easier for some to get post crash logfiles? I understand it’s a kernel thing

1 Like

I can confirm the first two topics. I did never try the third one.
But additionally the display doesn’t turn on when a notification comes in, although the option for that is activated.
This did work with the GSI version of LOS17microG.

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I have been using /e/ OS for a while now. I am pretty happy with it. The only issue which i face is that I can not disable one sim card. The setting does not appear. Seems to be a bug in /e/ OS. I just wanted to ask here if someone who has two sim cards could just test that and confirm if you can deactivate one sim card.
I would like to deactivate my work sim card during the weekend.
If it works, i would probably give Lineage OS a try over this weekend.
Thanks for your help in advance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@HolosericaCaligo : thanks! About the issues:

• we are aware of the Night Light issue, that is on the to-do list.
  • about the complete crashing and reboot during calls - to me that sounds a lot like the never-ending horror issue affecting stock and /e/ users as well.

I will check if 0077 release blobs fix some of the problems. I am pretty busy right now since I started a new job beginning of January, so things will be a bit slower for a while.

8 Likes

Sure, good idea. I have been wanting that too, especially for things like the crash-reboot-during-phone-call problem.

1 Like

I really wish you best luck, starting a new job in not the easiest times… Take your time!

3 Likes

Investigation an other issue that doesn’t happen (always the same when you look ;-)) I at least got a logcat fromt he reboot-issue. Screen is going dark, this messages are the last ones and then adb logcat gets disconnected:

(lots of those “died” messages"
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘device_identifiers’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘uri_grants’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘activity_task’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘batterystats’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘appops’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘power’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘thermalservice’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘recovery’ died
01-31 11:00:31.831 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘display’ died
01-31 11:00:31.870 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘sip’ died
01-31 11:00:31.870 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘simphonebook’ died
01-31 11:00:31.870 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘iphonesubinfo’ died
01-31 11:00:31.870 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘isms’ died
01-31 11:00:31.870 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘phone’ died
01-31 11:00:31.870 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘carrier_config’ died
01-31 11:00:31.871 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘isub’ died
01-31 11:00:31.871 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘ions’ died
01-31 11:00:31.871 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘ircs’ died
01-31 11:00:31.892 497 20312 W libc : Unable to set property “ctl.start” to “bootanim”: error code: 0x20
01-31 11:00:32.003 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘storaged’ died
01-31 11:00:32.003 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘storaged_pri’ died
01-31 11:00:32.613 459 459 I ServiceManager: service ‘vold’ died
(here adb gets disconnected)

Then only a long power button press does a reboot

Just opened an issue on the LOS issue tracker for a hang when on video conference. Looks like something in the media system just crashes and does not recover

Next one will be trying to get logs from the not working reboot:
And:
So, I created another issue. Problem is the reboot loop if the phone crashes and the SD cards needs to be checked, at some point (either “restarting the phone” being displayed, or even done with this step) LOS warm reboots (i.e. does not need the SIM pin)

@dk1978 if that helps… I still have the full logcat

Which, in the meantime, is attached to the issue because of a bot issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

A big thank you to all the devs and contributors who made this possible, I flashed it and it’s working perfectly!

One thing I noticed on top of the night light feature not working, which has already been reported: “Reading Mode” doesn’t do anything either, i.e. the black/white mode that you can enable by pulling down the notifications and clicking on the corresponding quick settings tile. If I understand correctly, reading mode is just a shortcut for Settings > System > Developer options > Simulate color space > Monochromatic. None of the other color space options work either, which suggests it’s probably an issue with the display driver that extends beyond night light not working.
Please forgive me for not opening an issue, I don’t have a GitLab account, maybe somebody else can copy/paste it over there.

1 Like

No worries about the graphics issue. I am aware that it is a general graphics problem. My best guess is that the LineageOS CAF-provided graphics HAL is too old for the Fairphone stock blobs we are using.

1 Like

Hi there,

Long time I don’t follow this thread. I saw that 17.1 is ready and I see that name of this thread reflects that. I tried to find relevant commentaries, but I was not able to find anything useful, so I decided to ask.

Can you tell me the most important features of Lineage 17.1 (MicroG version in particular which respect to 16? Bugs I should care about? Does the new version deserves (for you) the time to backup the data and do a clean install?

Thanks.

For me the best improvement is the improved split-screen allowing to really run two apps in parallel :smiley:

My top feature of Android 10 - and therefore LOS 17.1 - is the “button-less” navigation bar (“gesture navigation”).

2 Likes

OK guys, an update from my side. I have been short on time due to new job and preparations for moving.
I also decided to go for it and use your generous cash donations to buy a used FP3 for better testing, rather than having to use my day-to-day phone and risk loss of data. I got the new phone and then the fun started.

The person I bought the phone from did not unregister from their Google account before wiping the phone. Most of you will know about Google’s Factory Reset Protection (FRP). To keep it short - I was locked out of the phone and could not even do the OEM unlock steps I have advertised on LineageOS.
So what to do? I started hacking on the phone seriously, meaning I accessed Qualcomm’s Emergency Download Mode. Details on how to do that are documented by other community members. I read out the application boot loader (aboot), analyzed where it looks for for the OEM unlock permission and used this tool to overwrite a single bit of the config partition - and the device was unlocked. I then flashed LineageOS successfully per normal fastboot procedures. LineageOS does not care about FRP.

To make the long story short: FRP and OEM lock can be bypassed on any Fairphone 3. If you ever buy a used phone like I did and run into the same problem, feel free to PM me and we can try to sort things out.

22 Likes