My FP1: Five years and counting! | Who is still using their FP1?

So thumbs up if you are still using your FP1!

I have ordered mine in May 2013 (order number 00451) and I have received it in Jan 2014.

Nothing was broken until today (only some slight scratches on the screen). I have a third party battery in the meantime.

17 Likes

5 Years of Fairphone 1 badge for this man! :+1:

8 Likes

Yes, here a working FP1 on android 4.4.4.
Received also in january 2014.

3 Likes

Me too, I have a FP1U from a friend, which I use since July 2015. Some scratches of course, but luckily the screen is still good. Everything is still original - even the battery! :muscle:

4 Likes

Me too :slight_smile: I am a proudly owner of a FP1 of the first 10,185 batch … (Stange - they use a “,” there…)

If I may ask this question here:

My carsharing company now forces me to upgrade to android 4.4+.

But as I am quite inexperienced in flashing, rooting and all this stuff, is there a guide how to achiev this for an average intelligent person? :wink:

I would be deeply grateful if someone could guide me through this. :slight_smile:

PS: My English should work for such a project…

3 Likes

General instructions as well as more detailed alternative instructions (scroll down to the :white_check_mark: symbol) can be found here:

2 Likes

After a short overview this all looks as if I really have to study this … :-/

Maybe I should visit a “München Fairphone Meetup” to get personal help :smiley:

But thanks anyway for your fast reply.

2 Likes

Good idea, you probably saw the next one is already tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Yes I did - nice idea … but unfortunately I have to work at that time …

But I will keep this in mind and I really like this idea :slight_smile:

Some months ago I really considered talk to a guy next to me in the subway who also had a Fairphone 1 …

And a big Thank-You for your post - I just finished to install Android 4.4.4 … now “StattAuto München” won’t get any eMails about their new Web interface :wink:

3 Likes

Although it is my second FP1 altogether I’ve been using a FP1 for over 5 years. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i also use an FP1 since first edition was released. but only on 4.2.2

with this discussion i will try to get the 4.4 :wink: we will see. what about the Munich FP meetings? i´ve never heard of them… when, where? i will participate :wink: maybe i was not mindful enough. but in case contact me.
maybe we can dicuss some FP2 issues directly.

3 Likes

The next one is TONIGHT. Heute Abend :angel:
Ansonsten immer am letzten Montag im Monat.

1 Like

Hi there, I also use a Fairphone from the first batch since January 2014 on Android 4.2.2. Everything is fine, I only changed the battery two years ago. I still love my phone and am so impressed with the work of the Fairphone-Team! I may even try to upgrade to Android 4.4… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 from my side!:hugs: User since august 2014 if I remember well. Though I have not got my original; I had to change the screen module (early 2018) and motherboard (just a month ago, thanks @Stefan for helping with the issue in the early stage)

With my motherboard replaced I installed Android 4.4.4, which I can reccommend!

3 Likes

Same for me, I have my FP1 since January 2014. Despite a small part of the screen that is not touchscreen anymore (but I can handle it in some way), it is working smoothly. The only issue is that more and more apps do not run anymore on Android 4.x.x and require at least Android 5. Did you also encounter such issue?
I have also replaced the battery, the second one is still working fine, around 2 days before recharging.

3 Likes

danke dir, habe ich natĂĽrlich genau verpasst, das ewh kenne ich. super vielleicht sehen wir uns ja da mal.

FP1U still in use since 9/2014…

5 Likes

I also ordered mine (1st batch) in May 2013 and received it in January 2014. It’s still going strong (with a second battery) on Android 4.2.2 after 5 years, although the USB port is a little unreliable at times. Perhaps needs soldering?

4 Likes

I still repair FP1s on a regular basis, does that count?
Just yesterday I thought about it and I think about half of the people who come to me for help come with an FP1. So there are definitely still lots of FP1 users in Vienna. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I got my FP1 on February 5th 2014. It still works and I use it whenever I go to an open air festival (more robust than the FP2, smaller, and slightly better battery life) and sometimes at Fairphone meetups, i.e. only a few times per year. Since December 2017 the FP2 is my daily driver.

4 Likes