Icons - disappear after restart

Hi!

As it was previously announced, all icons have disappeared after the update. :frowning:

But thatā€™s actually not my problem. I have set back all icons to their original locations, and then started my Fairphone new, to see if everything works. After the restart, almost all icons were gone. Only those that were originally installed on the Fairphone are still there (like the browser, camera, ā€¦). I have put the apps several times again to the place where I wanted them, but to no avail: Once you reboot, all are gone again. :frowning:

Has anyone had the same problem and can help me?

Thanks!

Hi Sandy,

Did you reinstall the app store after the update? As described here.

This could maybe explain why the phone keeps the Fairphone icons but the others are gone after the reset.

Iā€™m really sorry about the confusion surrounding the wiping of the homescreen - wish we wouldā€™ve been clearer on that.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer!

You mean the google apps-installer?
Yes, I did that, but nevertheless it does not workā€¦

Edit: the link did not open, sorry.

Hi,
Iā€™ve got the same issue but installing the app store does not help, because I did it already.

Thanks for your concern and help.

Hi Jonas_Pilatus, is your app store working perfectly? Can you open the apps of which the icons disappear after a restart?

Are they by any chance located on your SD card, if you use one?

Hi Marco!

Yes, in my case, the apps store is working, and I can open the apps of which the icons disappear after the restartā€¦

I use a SD card, but never had problems with thatā€¦

Hi Marco,

the apps work perfectly, as the app store does. The disappearing apps are located on the SD card. But this wasnā€™t a problem before.

Thanks again.
Jonas

@Jonas_Pilatus @Sandy

Are all the apps that you are trying to get shortcuts working for stored on the SD card?

Can you try apps that are stored on the phone rather the SD to see if this is the case?

Hi,

thanks for your help!
Now, it is workingā€¦ at least for some apps. The problem is, that I do not have enough space for all of my apps. :frowning:

Why did it work the whole time with a SD card, and now not anymore - while using the same apps?

Ok, this is the problem. Apps not being stored on the SD are still on the home screen after restart. But thatā€™s not how I want to handle this. Is there any other solution? Is this a bug you can fix sooner or later?

I used to have this exact problem with my HTC phone - Iā€™m not sure why the update would have caused this change, but what you could do is move the apps onto internal memory. If the reason for you not doing this is that youā€™re still running your FP1 without the integrated storage solution and youā€™ve run of space.

If thatā€™s the case, I think the better solution is to run the update (but I believe you have to be running v1.6 to run it!)

Marco can probably give you a more official answer

He already has in another topic:

1 Like

Hi all, thanks for working with us here.

Iā€™m not sure but what could have happened is that a fix in this upgrade to enable ringtones on your SD card on a FP with the storage upgrade somehow impacted this situation again. I am not sure.

@Jonas_Pilatus and @sandy did you already perform the storage upgrade? The nasty thing is that this is only possible from 1.6 - so to do it you would have to downgrade to 1.6. You also need proper backup as the storage upgrade will wipe your system.

You could try this way - as it might just fix the issue. But I will also raise it as a bug here and see what we can do about it. If you can let me know what kind of storage (two partitions or unified) you have that would really help me out!

Sorry :flushed:

1 Like

Hi Marco!

No, I donā€™t think that Iā€™ve already perform the storage updateā€¦ How do I know? (But I upgraded every time when there was a new updateā€¦)
So, to be clear, I should downgrade to 1.6, then do the storage update (what is this, btw? O:-)), which will wipe my system (sorry, but what does this mean? Is everything gone then?), and upgrade again to 1.8? :open_mouth:

I think, I have two partitions (internal memory and phone memory) and the SD card. But I can only use the internal memory of 1 GB for my appsā€¦

Thanks!

Edit: Actually I did not know anything about this storage upgradeā€¦ It would have been nice to know it in advance before upgrading to 1.8. :frowning: AND - I did not get this ā€œe-mailā€ where the new update to 1.8 was announced, because my fairphone was a gift.

ā€¦

@Marco @anon90052001:
I also emphase the sillyness, that to apply the ā€œUnfiedStorageUpdateā€ (USU) only can be done from V1.6! What the hell ???

• I did not installed the USU up to now, because I did not want to loose all my data/apps and spent hours to re-set all my stuff + At the moment I donā€™t need it
  • I hoped that I could wait until a better way of applying the USU is available by FP
  • But now you are coming with the information (quite too late for some), that if I want to apply the USU later, I first have to downgrade to 1.6, make USU, upgrade to current version AND have to re-set all my stuff ??
  • practically this means for me I can/will not update the OS to 1.8+, before doing the USU, which I donā€™t want to make before neccassaryā€¦With this, you cancelled my out of using updates. Thanks.
  • Sorryā€¦regardless what the technical reason is behind this ---- in my opinion this procedure is NOT acceptable!

Unfortunately FP now has supported my view, that I hate applying Updates! ā€œNever change a running systemā€ is since than my slogan after early microsoft days, where updates everytime crashed my system and wasted hours of time to have it like before :confused:

@Sandy: Yes, if you apply the UnifiedStorageUpdate ALL your installed APPS and their settings as well as pics, contacts etc. will be deleted. Only way to get back is to make backups and/or reinstall the apps (either by backups or by GooglePlaystore, which rememberes your installed apps, if I am right)

Comments?
Cheers, Robert

2 Likes

This is the indication that you do not have applied the unified storage update. Here is how to apply it.

I have the same problem i.e. app icons disappear again after each restart. I have NO SD card, I upgraded from 1.6 to 1.8, re-installed Google and have not applied the 1.6 UnfiedStorageUpdate previously.

Over here same thing - some icons are missing after reboot.

Sorry, I donā€™t understand that. You deliever an update, which kills every restart the configuration of the icons? Are you for real? I expect working and tested updates. I donā€™t have the time to read 100 pages in forums since I found what I have to do.
And fairphone restarts so often by itself, so Iā€™m very stressed out. Thatā€™s buggy.

I expect, that you deliever soon a fix or you write an instruction step by step for that (via email.)
yours!

Thanks, for writing this post: Itā€™s more than not acceptable. I made the update, and now, Iā€™m stressed out about the time it will take to undo it. Itā€™s a wasting time and I expect that fairphone will fix it as soon as possible!