GPS fix takes very long after update (with e.g. Mapy.cz and GPSTest)

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Re-opening this topic as after the previous and the current update ( FP4.SP2J.B.086.20230807) I noticed that it took long to find a fix, GPS test had very few sattelites only and the time is incorrect and only after refreshing time data and PSDS and rebooting its fixed

2 Likes

Yep, can confirm. I thought I was going crazy.

1 Like

I got around this bug by using GPSTest and clearing assist data, injecting time and psds data. I then turned the phone off, removed battery and SIM.
On reboot, without SIM, GPS time was accurate again.
Turned it off and replaced the SIM and itā€™s still accurate.

It doesnā€™t help find the bug itself but it might resolve the bug for others. With luck the gps time will remain accurate.

1 Like

Yeah, that usually fixes it. And itā€™s great that thereā€™s actually a simple workaround like that. But the thing is, it shouldnā€™t happen in the first place. :man_shrugging: I have never had this problem with any other phone.

1 Like

I just had to reboot, no need to take out the SiM or are you saying this is a permanent fix, i.e. it survives updates?

3 Likes

No idea of permanence. I just chucked all the advice,saw someone say that support claimed the SIM was to blame.

One would hope it survives the updates!

Another update and here we go againā€¦ Weird, at first time was correct, it just took quite long to get a fix then I let the FP lying on the table for a few minutes while GPSTest was till open and the time changed to incorrect

I can confirm that Iā€™m currently also getting a wrong time: Jan 26, 2004 currently.

Hi,
I just reported this problem to the fairphone support. My FP4 also has this issue, and a few seconds after the time in GPStest is marked as faulty the GPS fix gets lost :frowning:

Just asking the obvious, you are outside when you test the gps?

it doesnt matter really, there is something brokenā€¦ the fix isnt staying after this update the time is repeatedly wrongā€¦ so to use navigation, plan ahead and be prepared a reboot is needed before it worksā€¦

In my case the time might be wrong, but neither do I lose the fix nor did I experience any problems with navigation so far.

Yes, it happens outside.

After the A13 upgrade I had a fix withing seconds, and correct date and time. Maybe finally fixed.

I havenā€™t experienced this problem since the Android 13 update either. I would wait a while longer before marking this as solved (again), but itā€™s possible that itā€™s finally fixed.

2 Likes

This issue is definitely NOT fixed! If anything, the issue got worse for me.

Unfortunately I also have to say that it is NOT fixed with A13. The date rollover still happens, and the fix is slow. Compared with my wifeā€™s Motorola One Vision (5 years old) also the signal strength in the same situation seems to be weak. Her smartphone keeps the track with google maps even in the middle of the car while my FP4 has to be kept close to the windows to get a sufficient signal.

Now my GPS is completely broken. I cannot get a fix after the update to Android13 in no location based applications. Location on/off does not help. Device on/off does not help.

What else could I try?

(update: will try ā€œclear assist dataā€ with GPSTest like suggested earlier)

Iā€™m pretty happy with the Fairphone hardware, the future perspective, the guarantee and repairability etc, but in the past and now the software quality is bad (and kind of unstable) and the commercial Email support I get is unprofessional and embarrassing.