FP4: The specs and your opinions

And it’s not so difficult to understand, that a lot more people don’t need Bluetooth.
Why is that still there?
“it’s a fact now, and we have to deal with it.”
Yeah, I’ll deal with it like I dealt with all those companies that tried to funnel their choices down my throat before: I dumped 'em.

2 Likes

That’s a little odd. When you say more ?? I imagine most human people on the planet have a phone and want bluetooth, I use it for file transfer and music ~ not to headphones.

Sure no one needs bluetooth or a phone but I’m sure more people want than don’t and there’s a lot of people who don’t really care.

2 Likes

You need Bluetooth for hands free speaking in your car, that’s mandatory in most countries, so at least every driver needs it.
You need it for paying via NFC, you can use it for data transfer, sport watches and so on. I guess a lot more people need Bluetooth then a headphone jack.

5 Likes

This is why there’s also a model with less storage (so it’s up to the buyer to decide for himself).

Yes, I agree. And such a warranty comes also with a price tag as it creates costs for the company (so it’s part of the price you pay and one of the reasons they can’t sell it for less…)

5 Likes

What is daily usage? A long video of me getting up very slowly in the morning ??

Which I daily transfer to my 256TB drive for posterity ?

1 Like

When people say they imagine it means they do not know.
Jacks on headphones have been around since my father was a kid and are both ubiquitous and universal. Taking away a plug for an ubiquitous and universal gadget is exactly the opposite of green and low footprint. It means a lot of people will have to buy yet another set of earphones, another set of headphones and probably even yet another set of speakers, or use adapters that use more material, more plastic, more metal, more electronics and more power that a plain, passive, analog jack. And that are prone to getting lost or damaged or just forgotten.

2 Likes

Baloney.
Pluged headphones are as hand-free as BT ones and BT is not compulsory anywhere in the Milky Way Galaxy.
NFC is a completely different technology and protocol than BT, you’re comparing apples to oranges!

1 Like

You don’t use a plugged headphone in a car, but a Bluetooth connection to the car audio.
With NFC you got me, this can be used to help to establish a Bluetooth connection, not the other way round.
But anyway, Bluetooth is more versatile, than a jack and more helpful.
So you are comparing apples and oranges :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

There’s no opposite to today’s consumerism, it just get a bit dated and those apples fell along way from the tree. It was in Jack’s genes to make a run to bluer fields.

“You don’t use a plugged headphone in a car”
Of course you do:

“But anyway, Bluetooth is more versatile, than a jack and more helpful”
To you. Not to all those who’d be happy to do without and in fact do, and are happy to be let free to keep using the audio equipment they already have without being forced into purchasing perfectly avoidable and undesired adapters or new headphones/earphones/speakers.

Which means that Faiphone’s purported core values are a thorough fraud.

1 Like

Given you never had broken flash we already established you never use your devices and/or write data to them :wink:

@Alessandro, I don’t agree with the weight of your dislike of lack 3.5 mm, but one thing you got very right: that BT car kits are pointless. You’re not even allowed to grab the phone while driving. How can you be not OK with it being wired? There’s no way the cable is going to be in your way. I just don’t get it…

Not really! You missed the initial motivation which is to be fair to the labourers in the supply chain, that’s why I invest, not for the green chameleon scales and other flaky ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wired via a headphone jack doesn’t give you the possibility to use the car stereo to control your phone, so you have to handle it to make calls. But that’s not allowed. If you use the USB, there’s no jack necessary.
And the cable might interfere with the stick shift or the handbrake, a Bluetooth connection won’t :slight_smile:.

But the discussion is treading on the spot, there is no headphone jack in the FP4, we can regret that, we can behave like Little Rumpelstiltskin, it makes no difference, it’s a fact.

4 Likes

Two appreciated improvements are

• The hands free speaker on the bottom, away fromn the left hand thumb base

@JuanPi @aWeinzierl

• the volume buttons on the other side

How much is your current phone? As I was pointed somewhere up in this forum, try this math: divide your phone’s cost by the number of effective usage you can get out of it. For instance, a cheap phone, say 120 €, that lasts 2 years, would mean 5 €/month, for a device that can’t have its parts easily replaced, and neither is sustainable (environmentally and socially). If you can use that unfair device for a longer period of time, software will be outdated and pose a risk. I believe all these reasons are more than enough to choose FP 4.

2 Likes

Engineering a watertight headphone jack in the concept of fairphone is really hard and bigger then you want at least. That was the dilemma Fairphone had.

Bluetooth is something what is delivered on the chip by Qualcomm so not Fairphone is pushing BT but Qualcomm does.

This is getting a bit patetic. We still talk about BT and the Jack? Yes, we know what are the facts, now get over it. Some of you prefer BT and some of you the Jack. FP4 will not change. If you like it and NEED it, then buy it. If not, don’t.
Now let’s get some user reviews to see how it works in the wild life…

12 Likes

The whole discussion is just about the missing audio jack port (and I personally really don’t care about that).
what I’d like to know: Is there a notification led? :sweat_smile:

9 Likes